Home Forums Television 2018 Emmy Predictions Drama (Part 3)

2018 Emmy Predictions Drama (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +17 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
Mukund
Stegeo
  • Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Westworld definitely benefited from Game of Thrones being absent and I doubt they can top the number of nominations. I’m predicting four acting nominations, which is the same as last year, but they’ll lose a nomination for either writing or directing, or maybe even both.

Westworld was huge because of the nature of the show. All kinds of technical categories, makeup, costumes, special effects… They should do fine there. I’m not sure in which category at the Creative Arts they could be snubbed. They have advantage with Main Title Design and Interactive Media. The only problem could be over-submitting. So, pretty much having the same nominations as last year, minus five at most. That’s pretty good and I don’t see why we would underestimate the show.

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

It is the categories where Game of Thrones can and will get multiple nominations (directing, editing, cinematography) that are going to eat into their totals.  It is not that I want to predict them for less, but something has to give in those cases.

Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

Also THT is going to pick up a lot of tech awards, more than last year. Everyone is talking about how every shot is just stunning (which is very true!!) It’s hotter than WW right now as well. WW is a masterpiece visually, so I do hope it gets the credit that it deserves in those categories. I personally don’t think it deserves 4 acting awards. Wright and Newton are great (not like S1 IMO though), Harris is amazing  (but won’t get in), I haven’t seen Hopkins yet and Wood is just meh.

Luca G.

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

It is the categories where Game of Thrones can and will get multiple nominations (directing, editing, cinematography) that are going to eat into their totals. It is not that I want to predict them for less, but something has to give in those cases.

I thought about both editing and cinematography, but it helps that both categories have two available spots, which doesn’t say a lot, but there isn’t a clear favorite to get in. Last year, we had these juggernauts like The Handmaid’s TaleThe Crown, Westworld and Stranger Things.

Cinematography won’t be having Sense8 and The Man in The High Castle, making room for two Game of Thrones nominations. Editing doesn’t have Better Call Saul, which had two nominations last year, so there’s room for Game of Thrones again, without hurting Westworld. I know it’s silly to make these assumptions, but as I said before, there isn’t a big threat to shake every category.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’ll miss editing because we not only have to make room for Game of Thrones, which will definitely take up at least two spots but ACE Eddie winner The Handmaid’s Tale as well. And that’s without mentioning the possibility of The Crown getting nominated too. Cinematography is also not guaranteed because GoT S5 got FOUR nominations here. It could possibly receive the same this year too.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Also THT is going to pick up a lot of tech awards, more than last year.

Yeah, I’m not so sure about that. I think the only extra category that it’ll get in would be editing. That’s if you are talking about nominations. No way it’s picking up ‘a lot of tech awards’.

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The last two seasons of Game of Thrones got Tim Porter and Katie Weiland nominated for editing, with them alternating wins.  Weiland already got an ACE nomination for “Beyond the Wall” and Porter has “The Spoils of War”, so those two should easily take the Better Call Saul slots.  Given that Stranger Things got two episodes nominated last year and still beat the one of Westworld, the editors definitely prefer Stranger Things of the two.  And we need to make space for The Handmaid’s Tale, which the editors clearly just did not see in time, as it was a new show on an unknown network.  (The sound mixers did not see it either and I expect it to expand with them as well, especially after its CAS nomination.) It has since won ACE for its pilot, which they did not even submit to the Emmys, which was another part of why it was snubbed.  So Westworld has little chance in editing.

Westworld might get cinematography, but I am thinking that it and Stranger Things get booted by Outlander, which was not eligible last year, but has gotten in at ASC twice now (and Stranger Things has never gotten in, so it is shaky), in addition to Mindhunter, given how they love the David Fincher aesthetic, nominating four different cinematographers in the first four seasons of House of Cards and awarding it initially.

Danny fio
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Game of Thrones will beat handmaid’s even if Goldderby doesn’t predict it to.Maybe i’m biased being a lifelong fan but it just feels right given that it keeps on breaking records and is already the most Emmy winning series of all time. Not getting four outstanding drama wins and tying the record just doesn’t feel right for a series like this.

It just feels like a titanic,lotr-type phenomenon of tv series.Something that breaks the records and becomes a milestone for future tv series,something that played a part in the explosion of tv series,[which are going to be abundant given the rise of streaming services],something thats held as the ultimate example of its medium even if many hate it.

It just feels like a bigger thing than the sopranos or the wire were in their times given that martin has been thinking about the end of this story for decades.I can just imagine its popularity and cultural prominence and legacy being off the rails in 10 years, going to Wikipedia and reading all the records its broken, milestones its achieved etc.

so yeah coming back to the earlier point, it just doesn’t feel Got is not going to win drama series and tie the record for the maximum wins ever

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

I have realized in this entire Emmy season, no one is talking about Stranger Things. The buzz is absolutely gone. Do you think it will underperform? I think Harbour and unfortunately Brown are a lock but I could see them missing out on writing for example. They are lucky to be a tech heavy show though. Visually, the show is absolutely undeniable.

Lol maybe Netflix realized this and thus released youtube videos today highlighting MBB and Noah Schnapp’s performances, and seeing as they didn’t do it for anyone else it’s pretty obvious what they’re trying to do.

Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

I have realized in this entire Emmy season, no one is talking about Stranger Things. The buzz is absolutely gone. Do you think it will underperform? I think Harbour and unfortunately Brown are a lock but I could see them missing out on writing for example. They are lucky to be a tech heavy show though. Visually, the show is absolutely undeniable.

Lol maybe Netflix realized this and thus released youtube videos today highlighting MBB and Noah Schnapp’s performances, and seeing as they didn’t do it for anyone else it’s pretty obvious what they’re trying to do.

I thought it was hilarious how we talked about no buzz this morning and those videos immediately came out.

J H
    Participant
    Topics:

A lifelong fan? Are you 7 years old?

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Definition of lifelong
    1: lasting or continuing through life. Example : a lifelong friendship.
    2: long-standing

Get your facts straight before mocking someone. A little modesty never killed anyone, anyway.

P.S. Attacking someone who isn’t a THT fanatic like yourself is only going to make the people drive away potential fans and make other people hate the show. That’s not what you want, I hope?

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

I know she is not high in rankings on here, but I feel like Viola has a great shot again.

Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

The first book was released in 1996, you actually can be over 20 and be a lifelong fan.

Unfortunately for a lifelong fan of THT TV show (i.e. you are 2 years old, you’re not fooling anybody) you may not know anything outside of the realm of THT, a middling at best TV show.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘2018 Emmy Predictions Drama (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.