Home Forums Television 2018 Emmy Predictions Movie and Limited Series

2018 Emmy Predictions Movie and Limited Series

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 532 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Riley
Teridax
  • Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Ik it didn’t hit precursors, but is it impossible for The Sinner to actually end up getting in everywhere? Series, Actress, Supp Actor, Directing, Writing

ReplyCopy URL
    Awards Fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

Ik it didn’t hit precursors, but is it impossible for The Sinner to actually end up getting in everywhere? Series, Actress, Supp Actor, Directing, Writing

I could see it absolutely overperform. It was definitely the most watched show out of all shows in contention. Also season 2 is just around the corner. My only problem is that I am not sure how many people are aware of the “category fraud”. That could hurt it I guess. But it didn’t stop them from giving BLL everything, so who knows

Luca G.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I could see it absolutely overperform. It was definitely the most watched show out of all shows in contention. Also season 2 is just around the corner. My only problem is that I am not sure how many people are aware of the “category fraud”. That could hurt it I guess. But it didn’t stop them from giving BLL everything, so who knows

BLL hadn’t announced its 2nd season yet, and both The Sinner and BLL were created as limited series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kwame
    Participant
    Topics:

Not been following this awards season because I’m behind on basically everything, but I wanted to know what David Lynch’s chances are. If the trend of rewarding directors for helming all the episodes in a limited series continues, could he pull off the win? His only competition in that regard would be Scott Frank for Godless, who got a DGA nod while he was snubbed. Then again, Susanne Bier wasn’t DGA nominated and still won the Emmy.

Hoping Lynch surprises and wins it in the end, he’d be so deserving.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I too was actually wondering if we are underestimating Twin Peaks in general. With no standout limited series/movies, there are bound to be a lot of surprise nominations/wins.

I do think David Lynch stands a decent shot at winning for Directing. He’s likely to be the only Academy Award nominated director in the category and it would be a legacy win for him for creating one of the most iconic cult classic television series.

Additionally, Lead Actor in a Limited Series/TV Movie is weak. We might be underestimating Kyle MacLachlan. He’s a former Emmy nominee for this role, plays multiple characters and is an overdue TV/film veteran actor having also stared on previous Emmy favorites like Desperate Housewives and Sex and the City. If voters don’t want to give the Emmy to Al Pacino or Jeff Daniels for just being them and don’t end up nominating Darren Criss (or don’t want to award him for being too young), he might just take home the win.

ReplyCopy URL
    MrAmerica
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t seen the miniseries, but Robert Forster seems to make sense on paper. Show is likely to appear as a program finalist, he is an Academy Award nominee himself… Is the role meaty enough for him to pull of a nomination?

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

I too was actually wondering if we are underestimating Twin Peaks in general. With no standout limited series/movies, there are bound to be a lot of surprise nominations/wins.

I do think David Lynch stands a decent shot at winning for Directing. He’s likely to be the only Academy Award nominated director in the category and it would be a legacy win for him for creating one of the most iconic cult classic television series.

Additionally, Lead Actor in a Limited Series/TV Movie is weak. We might be underestimating Kyle MacLachlan. He’s a former Emmy nominee for this role, plays multiple characters and is an overdue TV/film veteran actor having also stared on previous Emmy favorites like Desperate Housewives and Sex and the City. If voters don’t want to give the Emmy to Al Pacino or Jeff Daniels for just being them and don’t end up nominating Darren Criss (or don’t want to award him for being too young), he might just take home the win.

It’s easily the most talked about limited series by a mile. It was all I heard about last summer. Laura Dern is the only winner that makes sense in supporting too. I think people are drastically underestimating it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Forster was great but I’m skeptical Twin Peaks makes that much of a splash on nominations morning.

THE OSCAR 100 (#55-51): Kim Stanley, Teri Garr, Susan Tyrrell, Patricia Neal and Meryl Streep

ReplyCopy URL
    Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

We are overestimating Twin Peaks in general. The most it can get in major categories realistically is a career nod for David Lynch’s Directing. I would sooner predict the Sharknado sequel for TV Movie than predict Twin Peaks to get in for Writing and even Limited Series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

The path is there, but I am skeptical of Twin Peaks because its guild run left something to be desired, so I am trying to be a bit conservative by not predicting it for a writing nomination.  That branch does not act like it used to anyway.  I had not considered who might win, but given who else I have getting nominated, it could be David Lynch who wins directing.

The problem with The Sinner is that it has no prestige.  It was a summer show on USA starring Jessica Biel from a showrunner still without a Wikipedia page.  It was shut out by all of the guilds and even though Critics’ Choice nominated both leads (in lead), they snubbed it for series.  It might just be an NCIS/Empire/The Walking Dead that got (relatively) big ratings, but is just not really a factor.  I have it in my series predictions because visibility is often all that you need in the limited/movie races.  We had three years there with things being really competitive, but we are back to the limited/movie races being embarrassing, so I think that we should look at these races like we would have before three years ago.  What variably got nominated back then was stuff that was simply seen by masses, like Bonnie & Clyde, The Bible and Killing Kennedy.  And USA would randomly get in for stuff that even they cancelled: Political Animals.  So I am predicting The Sinner for the only three categories in which it is campaigning, which are also the only three in which it has been nominated by anyone so far, but nothing else.  The writers and directors never have to settle for this kind of stuff.

ReplyCopy URL
    Awards Fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I am very close to just putting in the wildest predictions for limited series/ TV Movie because it’s so underwhelming this year. Versace and Godless are the only locks IMO. In supporting actor, Daniels and Ramirez are the only locks IMO. Remember last year? Big Little Lies vs Feud vs The Night Of was hella exciting. So much excellent television. Drama is so much more competitive this year.

Luca G.

ReplyCopy URL
    Harmonia
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m pulling for Waco. I haven’t seen it being talked about much, but I think/hope it’ll at least get in for best limited series and possibly lead actor in a limited series for Taylor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

I am very close to just putting in the wildest predictions for limited series/ TV Movie because it’s so underwhelming this year. Versace and Godless are the only locks IMO. In supporting actor, Daniels and Ramirez are the only locks IMO. Remember last year? Big Little Lies vs Feud vs The Night Of was hella exciting. So much excellent television. Drama is so much more competitive this year.

You forgot Fargo too. Twin Peaks is the only show this season deserving of being in the same category as those four. Maybe Godless too.

ReplyCopy URL
    Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m also starting to think Twin Peaks is being underestimated, particularly Kyle MacLachlan. He’s been doing so much campaigning lately. The other week he was on James Corden’s show, then Kelly and Ryan, for no particular reason, but just to FYC Twin Peaks. I’ve seen a lot of online/print interviews too. He’s working for it.

It would be cool for him to get a career win after 30 years since his last nominations for Twin Peaks. And he’s been such a steady part of the television landscape with Sex and the City, Desperate Housewives, Portlandia, etc. You’d think this would be the perfect opportunity to give him his due.

I don’t get why more people aren’t considering him. It’s not like Darren Criss is so miles better than everyone else that he simply cannot be denied. He could easily lose to Cumberbatch or even Pacino if voters are in a veteran name-check mood. But anyway, Twin Peaks is not as artsy or inaccessible as people like to make out, and Kyle is by far the contender with the most acting range from an objective technical perspective. Showtime has shrewdly been showing off his multiple roles and making that the talking point of his campaign. I rewatched some of the show the other day and the difference between his portrayal of Mr. C and Agent Cooper (and the other roles) is quite remarkable.

I’ll feel quite bad for the guy if he loses to Criss or Cumberbatch, after campaiging so much and waiting 28 years between nominations. He’s really put in the work all these years and it’s the performance of his career.

ReplyCopy URL
    Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I disagree about the show not being that inaccessible; it’s probablt the most challenging season of television I’ve ever seen. I do think that MacLachlan is the only major nomination where Twin Peaks is kind of safe though.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 532 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.