Home Forums Television 2018 Emmy Predictions Movie and Limited Series

2018 Emmy Predictions Movie and Limited Series

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 548 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Riley
Teridax
  • dizzieblonde
    Participant
    Topics:

I disagree about the show not being that inaccessible; it’s probablt the most challenging season of television I’ve ever seen. I do think that MacLachlan is the only major nomination where Twin Peaks is kind of safe though.

Same here – the show itself is a total maze, and this season was designed mostly for the hardcore fanbase, but it absolutely wasn’t easily accessible to the first time viewer of this show. 25 years is a very long time for a show to be off air, and to return with the same LSD-tinged, surreal storytelling.

Objectively, you can see MacLachlin is doing great work, multitasking away with utter conviction, and that’s the sort of thing the Emmy voters will frequently reward with a nomination. I just cannot, for the life of me, see that translating into the bulk of the Emmy voters thinking it was their favourite limited series/movie performance, when there are other performances of equal skill and dexterity in that category, in shows that were far easier to watch, without having to recall show folklaw of 25 year’s previous.

After all, if we’re talking about waiting 28 years for an Emmy win as a reason to give someone an award, Angela Lansbury is 92 years old, has 18 Emmy nominations, and is still waiting for a win! It’s 35 years since her first nomination – if the Emmy voters are looking to reward someone for their patience and fortitude, I’m betting they’ll choose her over Kyle!

I’d also raise the spectre of category fraud with Twin Peaks. It has a pretty decent case for being a limited series, but it was a Drama in the 90’s, and arguably should be the same this time round. It might not be the reason that the show fails to win, but it won’t help.

Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

25 years is a very long time for a show to be off air, and to return with the same LSD-tinged, surreal storytelling.

I don’t know whether it’s a major issue for its Emmy chances. I would put more enphasis on the nature itself of the show: Lynch has literally done nothing to guide his viewer in the comprehension, of any kind, of Twin Peaks. It’s infinitely more difficult than the original series; a lot of voters will be put off by that, and will consider it the typical garbage disguised in artsy forms. Ultimately, it’s a show that demands the most complete attention – an aestethical attention, a conceptual one and, last but not least, an imaginative one -; it’s completely impossible to binge watch and it Leaves you more exhausted than satisfied (that was my personal experience, at least). It’ll make me sad, but I prefer not predicting such thing for Limited Series.

Objectively, you can see MacLachlin is doing great work, multitasking away with utter conviction, and that’s the sort of thing the Emmy voters will frequently reward with a nomination.

Agreed. My only fear is that not enough voters will have made through the series to confirm it. I think it’s a miraculous performance (my personal best of the season together with Keri Russell) and I haven’t heard a single negative opinion on it; considering that, the consequent raves, the decent popularity of the actor and the competition, it should be enough for a nomination.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

I am very close to just putting in the wildest predictions for limited series/ TV Movie because it’s so underwhelming this year. Versace and Godless are the only locks IMO. In supporting actor, Daniels and Ramirez are the only locks IMO. Remember last year? Big Little Lies vs Feud vs The Night Of was hella exciting. So much excellent television. Drama is so much more competitive this year.

A moment of silence for Feud, which would have absolutely swept this year but was a victim of unfortunate timing

AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

Angela Lansbury is being a nightmare for my predictions.

I keep going back and forth between thinking that she’s probably one of the biggest locks for a win in a lackluster category, to wondering if she’ll even get nominated.

Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

I suspect it’s right in the middle of that – Lansbury will earn a nomination but won’t win.

THE OSCAR 100 (#55-51): Kim Stanley, Teri Garr, Susan Tyrrell, Patricia Neal and Meryl Streep

Anonymous
    Topics:

If Angela Lansbury gets nominated and then loses it’ll be probably the most cruel thing Emmy voters have ever done.

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I am very close to just putting in the wildest predictions for limited series/ TV Movie because it’s so underwhelming this year. Versace and Godless are the only locks IMO. In supporting actor, Daniels and Ramirez are the only locks IMO. Remember last year? Big Little Lies vs Feud vs The Night Of was hella exciting. So much excellent television. Drama is so much more competitive this year.

You forgot Fargo too. Twin Peaks is the only show this season deserving of being in the same category as those four. Maybe Godless too.

You weren’t an American Vandal or Versace fan?

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

A moment of silence for Feud, which would have absolutely swept this year but was a victim of unfortunate timing

I repeat, SWEPT. It easily would have won for Limited Series considering the competition being so lackluster.

Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

I repeat, SWEPT. It easily would have won for Limited Series considering the competition being so lackluster.

Any of those four would have swept this year.

Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

I really don’t think voters will care that Twin Peaks is a drama series frauded into limited series. Especially when they just voted for an episode of Black Mirror to win as a TV Movie and consistently accept the rampant fraud that exists in the TV/Limited categories ever since Ryan Murphy got the ball rolling on category opportunism.

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Any of those four would have swept this year.

I also agree about The Night Of and especially Big Little Lies but am slightly less confident about Fargo Season 3. I would actually put that at the same level as Godless where it could win but likely won’t.

Gabriel
    Participant
    Topics:

not, for the life of me, see that translating into the bulk of the Emmy voters thinking it was their favourite limited series/movie performance, when there are other performances of equal skill and dexterity in that category, in shows that were far easier to watch, without having to recall show folklaw of 25 year’s previous.

Disagree that there are other performances of equal skill and dexterity, especially if you are referring to Cumberbatch’s ham or Criss’s overrated performance. Maclachlan’s performance stands out quite significantly against his competition, but I seem to be in the minority here with that opinion.

And Lansbury and MacLachlan are in different categories so I don’t see it as relevant to compare the two.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not worried about Twin Peaks, at least not for nominations, wins will be harder but I’m confident about it getting into series, lead actor, supporting actress, directing, and tech categories. It could definitely get writing too but I think it’ll be snubbed somewhere in the major categories.

MrHarryBeck
    Participant
    Topics:

I think AHS: Cult will end up being nominated for Best Limited Series.

SHT L
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh gosh, Feud really could have done well this year, but it really was really nice to see Ryan Murphy lose, funny to see Jackie Hoffman lose though she overdid the shtick a bit, and even kind of nice to see Jessica Lange lose. Nothing against her and she would have been a more than worthy winner, but it was becoming sort of expected of her to win and I’m also blurring the lines between Lange the actress who is probably very lovely and Lange’s petty-as-hell face as Joan Crawford during that Baby Jane Oscar episode. Plus there was that really annoying poster during that time who was a real crazy, ride-or-die Lange fan.

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  SHT L.
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 548 total)

The topic ‘2018 Emmy Predictions Movie and Limited Series’ is closed to new replies.