Home Forums Television 2018 Emmy Predictions Movies/Limited Series (Part 2)

2018 Emmy Predictions Movies/Limited Series (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 192 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Makuta Teridax
Riley
Ivo Stoyanov
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Continue your discussion here about all the movie and limited series categories at the 2018 Emmys.

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Reposting from the end of the last thread…

Penultimate Predictions – Gimmee your thoughts!

OUTSTANDING LIMITED SERIES

1. The Assassination of Gianna Versace: American Crime Story
    2. Twin Peaks
    3. The Sinner
    4. Patrick Melrose
    5. Godless

OUTSTANDING TV MOVIE

1. USS Callister (Black Mirror)
    2. The Tale
    3. Paterno
    4. Electric Drams: The Commuter
    5. Doctor Who: Twice Upon a Time

OUTSTANDING LIMITED ACTOR

1. Darren Criss, The Assassination of Gianna Versace: American Crime Story
    2. Benedict Cumberbatch, Patrick Melrose
    3. Al Pacino, Paterno
    4. Kyle MacLachlan, Twin Peaks
    5. Antonio Banderas, Genius: Picasso
    6. Jesse Plemons, USS Callister (Black Mirror)

OUTSTANDING LIMITED ACTRESS

1. Laura Dern, The Tale
    2. Jessica Biel, The Sinner
    3. Elisabeth Moss, Top of the Lake: China Girl
    4. Cristin Milioti, USS Callister (Black Mirror)
    5. Hayley Atwell, Howard’s End
    6. Catherine Zeta-Jones, Cocaine Godmother

OUTSTANDING LIMITED SUPPORTING ACTOR

1. Jeff Daniels, Godless
    2. Edgar Ramirez, The Assassination of Gianna Versace: American Crime Story
    3. Jason Ritter, The Tale
    4. Cody Fern, The Assassination of Gianna Versace: American Crime Story
    5. Jimmi Simpson, USS Callister (Black Mirror)
    6. Ricky Martin, The Assassination of Gianna Versace: American Crime Story

OUTSTANDING LIMITED SUPPORTING ACTRESS

1. Judith Light, The Assassination of Gianna Versace: American Crime Story
    2. Penelope Cruz, The Assassination of Gianna Versace: American Crime Story
    3. Laura Dern, Twin Peaks
    4. Ellen Burstyn, The Tale
    5. Angela Lansbury, Little Women
    6. Merritt Wever, Godless

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

What’s your Zeta Jones reasoning? The aggressive campaign? Not a criticism just a question.

I’m really not sold on Ricky Martin.

I know F451 was a flop but I’m not prepared to drop it completely. Movie, especially, feels too weak to justify leaving it off.

I think Falco is being heavily underrated by these forums in general.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  jacob121.
    ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Copying this quote from @pulp over the last thread:

Yeah, at this point I don’t think I’ll consider anyone else for the win besides Criss unless maybe Twin Peaks or Patrick Melrose do much better than expected in nominations.

I think that Cumberbatch is being underestimated for the win. I’ll never forget that year when he unexpectedly won for Sherlock – I think he is absolutely beloved and Patrick Melrose, despite its low ratings, first squarely in Emmy voters’ wheelhouse, more so than Versace imo. Criss could very well win but I am somewhat surprised I am one of the few predicting Cumberbatch.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks for engaging!

What’s your Zeta Jones reasoning? The aggressive campaign? Not a criticism just a question.

Yep 100% the aggressive marketing. It’s one advert that I have been seeing regularly online all season plus I know it got sent out to voters and is on billboards around LA. We saw last year with Genius that the Emmys are happy to be lazy and just award an expensive campaign if there are few other options.

I’m really not sold on Ricky Martin.

Neither am I really lol but the issue I have is that I really think American Crime Story is going to land and Martin since the start has been upheld in a quartet with Criss, Ramirez and Cruz. It reminds me a lot of when David Schwimmer got in for OJ. There was no reason for him to be there performance wise but he got in because the show landed and he was one of the most notable faces that could be easily checked off on ballots.

I know F451 was a flop but I’m not prepared to drop it completely. Movie, especially, feels too weak to justify leaving it off.

I was so on the fence about this one but looking at the category: Black Mirror, The Tale and Paterno are locks. Is anyone really paying attention to a third HBO movie that has no buzz, campaign or acclaim. Electric Dreams seems like the kind of thing to randomly get nominated based upon enough people having seen the campaign/actually had passion for it. Then there’s Doctor Who. In such a weak category it just seems silly to think that a show that we know has passion and recognition is not be selected by more than a panned HBO movie.

I think Falco is being heavily underrated by these forums in general.

I’d agree if I’d seen any kind of campaign for her/the show but I haven’t.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I can see Zeta-Jones getting in. It’s different than Kidman in Grace of Monaco because Kidman had no campaign while Zeta-Jones has one of the most aggressive ones. And why am I comparing these two? Because they’re both starred in panned movies with panned performances (Nicole definitely more panned than Catherine) and they’re both considered movie stars. Lifetime is campaigning the shit out of it. If she gets in and Gadon won’t I’ll be crying but blaming mostly Netflix for not campaigning properly Gadon and her show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

I do not have Ricky Martin because they surprise us sometimes in this category by how much they are paying attention, like with the snubs of Ted Danson for Fargo and Rob Lowe for Behind the Candelabra.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

ReplyCopy URL
    Malinda Kao
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that Cumberbatch is being underestimated for the win. I’ll never forget that year when he unexpectedly won for Sherlock – I think he is absolutely beloved and Patrick Melrose, despite its low ratings, first squarely in Emmy voters’ wheelhouse, more so than Versace imo. Criss could very well win but I am somewhat surprised I am one of the few predicting Cumberbatch.

Patrick Melrose‘s subject material does seem like the kind of thing that Emmy voters generally gravitate toward more than The Assassination of Gianni Versace does, but don’t forget how much voters adore Ryan Murphy productions. In this case, it wouldn’t be just Benedict Cumberbatch versus Darren Criss. It’s more like Cumberbatch versus Criss (plus Ryan Murphy).

ReplyCopy URL
    nigle1985
    Participant
    Topics:

Neither am I really lol but the issue I have is that I really think American Crime Story is going to land and Martin since the start has been upheld in a quartet with Criss, Ramirez and Cruz. It reminds me a lot of when David Schwimmer got in for OJ. There was no reason for him to be there performance wise but he got in because the show landed and he was one of the most notable faces that could be easily checked off on ballots.

Was Nathan Lane submitted for OJ? He would have been a more likely name check for supporting actor than Schwimmer as a bigger name movie actor. I though that Schwimmer deserved the nomination after showing  how Kardashian’s  initial belief in OJ  turned around.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

He was submitted.  It is a point for predicting Ricky Martin, as David Schwimmer was more where the campaign was pointing voters, although they might have been thought to go for Nathan Lane on their own.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Why haven’t I heard about this before: Donald Trump Amplifies Praise From David Lynch With Rare Understatement

If last season of Twin Peaks wasn’t indication he lost touch with reality this for sure will be. lol

ReplyCopy URL
    Malinda Kao
    Participant
    Topics:

I kept trying to embed the tweet, but it wasn’t working, so here’s a link:

Donald Trump retweets David Lynch saying “Trump Could Go Down as One of the Greatest Presidents”

I have no idea if this would hurt Twin Peaks’ Emmy chances at all. Or will the voters just ignore it and concentrate solely on the show? Can someone who knows more about these things weigh in?

Edit: Thanks for putting it up, Sasha!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by  Malinda Kao.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Voting closes in a few hours, having been open for over two weeks.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d say this is bad news for Twin Peaks if it gets around. It’s taken a bit out of context, I don’t think Lynch was really trying to support Trump but that won’t matter to voters. Anyone who has anything remotely positive to say about Trump is going to get backlash.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Voting closes in a few hours, having been open for over two weeks.

I forgot about this. So it won’t hurt the show in nominations, but it could hurt Lynch’s chances to win directing, and I think he had a legit shot.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 192 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.