Home Forums Television 2018 Emmy Predictions (Part 2)

2018 Emmy Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 639 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Eden
Riley
Stegeo
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

Altered Carbon wrote its own death sentence when they cast a white guy in the main role of Takeshi. Shame that the budget and Miguel Sapochnik are going to waste.

I didn’t realize that as I am not familiar with the book. This is what I found in my 2 minutes of research. Takeshi Novaks is of Eastern European and Japanese descent. In the show, the characters original body is played by Will Yun Lee, a Korean actor. His conscious is transferred to the body of Joel Kinnaman, a white man, 200 years in the future. Not being familiar with the book, I am not sure if Kinnamn’s body is white in the novel. I cannot really speak for this with my white-ness, but is this considered whitewashing? At least an Asian actor is playing the original actor. Then again, would it really hurt to have cast an Asian actor. The audience response to this is going to be interesting, as I genuinely don’t know how it’s going to turn out. @thedemonhog , were you aware that there was also an Asian actor playing the character and do you still think the show is screwed?

Here is an interesting TVline article and a featurette:

http://tvline.com/2017/12/19/altered-carbon-video-consciousness-stack-netflix/

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I did not know, but people have such a low tolerance for anything like this these days.  Take Death Note, which took Japanese source material and adapted it for Seattle.  The characters were not even playing Japanese, but there was still a whitewashing controversy.  What if The Departed had come out today?  Would people be up in arms because the original film was from Hong Kong?

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

I did not know, but people have such a low tolerance for anything like this these days. Take Death Note, which took Japanese source material and adapted it for Seattle. The characters were not even playing Japanese, but there was still a whitewashing controversy. What if The Departed had come out today? Would people be up in arms because the original film was from Hong Kong?

The difference between The Departed and Death Note or Ghost in the Shell is that Internal Affairs was a live action film and The Departed was an English language adaptation as opposed to a live-action remake. The Magnificent Seven is in a similar boat to The Departed. Death Note and Ghost in the Shell are faithful whereas The Departed and The Magnificent Seven are adapted, one is held to a higher standard of adherence.

Anonymous
    Topics:

altered carbon is a mediocre forgettable book anyway

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

How was Death Note not an English-language adaptation?  They changed the characters’ names and location, which is not that faithful.  There even was a live-action Japanese Death Note prior.

Anonymous
    Topics:

I think it helps that an Asian actor was also cast in the role. I think the key here is quality. Looking at recent examples, critics and audiences can avoid having an issue with white washing (or anything close) when the property is high in quality: such as Doctor Strange, The Jungle Book (2016), and Kubo and the two Strings. If the critics like Altered Carbon as much as those properties, then I am assuming they will look past Kinnaman’s casting; however, if they already don’t like the show, they will add Kinnaman to their list of problems. Essentially, it needs to be amazing. And that isn’t out of the realm of possibility considering the budget and talent.

Anonymous
    Topics:

good thing kubo flopped and lost the oscar.

Anonymous
    Topics:

good thing kubo flopped and lost the oscar.

It still won major awards such as BAFTA and at least a got Oscar nominations, as well as critical acclaim. It also made more than it’s budget.

Anonymous
    Topics:

it lost money given how much money from box office actually goes to the studio.

it’s not like theatres run entirely on concession stands.
    by your standard practically every movie ever is a success. like the dark tower. or snatched. or valerian.

Anonymous
    Topics:

it lost money given how much money from box office actually goes to the studio.

it’s not like theatres run entirely on concession stands.
    by your standard practically every movie ever is a success. like the dark tower. or snatched. or valerian.

I know that, but you made it out to be a complete waster, when it definitely was not an all around failure. And keep in mind Laika’s track record.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I would also contend that Laika is the rare studio like Annapurna that does not need to turn a profit.

Anonymous
    Topics:

you mean because it’s a vanity project run by a guy whose dad gives him all the money? yay?

Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Liza Weil, Jimmy Smitts, Cicely Tyson and Viola Davis from How To Get Away With Murder

Anonymous
    Topics:

Do we think NBC drama/dramadies Rise and Good Girls will go anywhere? Rise feels a lot like This is Us so I won’t want to underestimate that.

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Do we think NBC drama/dramadies Rise and Good Girls will go anywhere? Rise feels a lot like This is Us so I won’t want to underestimate that.

Rise seems more like a Globes type of show. I wouldn’t be surprised if they nominated the girl from Moana. Good Girls too could get a nod at the Globes for Hendricks, but it’s way too early. Not so sure about the Emmys.

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 639 total)

The topic ‘2018 Emmy Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.