Home Forums Television 2018 Emmy Predictions (Part 3)

2018 Emmy Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 197 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
Hunter-ish
Eden
Riley
  • AwardsBait3818
    Participant
    Topics:

Not sure if this has been covered already, but what does everyone think of the Saturday Night Live cast’s chances of getting in are? Right now I’m predicting Kate McKinnon to return and win, Leslie Jones to return, and Beck Bennett and Cecily Strong to be added in. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Aidy Bryant in Strong’s place either.

ricardo505
    Participant
    Topics:

COMEDY
    Series: Atlanta
    Lead actor: Glover, and Danson has a shot if he is nominated
    Lead actress: Janney vs Ross, with Messing being the frontrunner if she gets a nomination (Brie, maybe?)
    Supporting actor: Burgess finally if he is elegible? Maybe Sean Hayes or Louie Anderson?
    Supporting actress: McKinnon will probably win here, and it will be very boring. Metcalf could be benefited from Oscar campaign and pulls an upset

DRAMA
    Series: Handmaid’s vs GoT
    Lead actor: Brown or Tim Robbins
    Lead actress: Moss, but Maslany is close behind (if they remember to nominate her)
    Supporting actor: Harbour or Dinklage
    Supporting actress: Dowd again, but I suspect that she may goes guest this year. Lena Headey vs Thandie Newton, perhaps?

LIMITED SERIES/MOVIE
    Limited series: Sharp Objects
    Movie: Paterno
    Lead actor: Al Pacino
    Lead actress: Amy Adams
    Supporting actor: Ramírez (no idea here)
    Supporting actress: Lansbury

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

LIMITED SERIES/MOVIE Limited series: Sharp Objects Movie: Paterno Lead actor: Al Pacino Lead actress: Amy Adams

sharp objects is ineligible this year, June release

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Just catching up on this and the previous Emmy prediction thread – too much to comment on but I did have a question about the category placement of The Alienist. I had it going drama (and thus being somewhat of an Emmy non-starter) in my notes but I saw it listed in someone’s post as limited. If this is true, it stands a decent chance in costumes and production design, maybe supporting digital effects or a few other things.

For our first new lead actress in a comedy winner in years are people thinking Brosnahan or Brie? Maisel seems to be stronger overall.

It didn’t really hit me until I was reading through the threads just how many contenders from last year are ineligible. It’s always good when the Emmys are force to produce some turnover – let’s hope they don’t fill the spaces with stale contenders.

Does Handmaid’s Tale repeat? I don’t agree with the poster above that GOT has no heat or buzz – it’s still one of the biggest/most popular shows in the world and the new voting system very much favors safe, populist choices. I think we’ll know more when we see how well it performs nomination wise in comparison to 2016.

Cheers!

Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

For our first new lead actress in a comedy winner in years are people thinking Brosnahan or Brie? Maisel seems to be stronger overall.

Brosnahan is definitely the front runner according to our forums. This link will catch you up:

http://www.goldderby.com/forum/television/with-no-julia-louis-dreyfus-who-wins-comedy-actress/

It didn’t really hit me until I was reading through the threads just how many contenders from last year are ineligible. It’s always good when the Emmys are force to produce some turnover – let’s hope they don’t fill the spaces with stale contenders.

For limited Series Genius is the only returning nominee coming back. For TV movie Black Mirror is the only returning nominee coming back.

Comedy will see Veep and Master of None be ineligible and UKS is rumored to be barely making the eligibility. Atlanta, Silicon Valley, Modern Family, and black-ish will most definitely be eligible, though Modern Family and black-ish were dropped from PGA, so we could see snubs at the Emmys. Depending on when they are released we might see the return of Aressted Developmenf and the new Emma Stone veichle, Maniac. And the revivals of Will & Grace and Roseanne will at least be in the conversation. Guild dominators GLOW and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel will also most definitely be nominated and at this point I would look out for The Good Place to spoil the lineup purely based on its buzz.

Better Call Saul will not make the deadline for drama series. Nothing has been confirmed for House of Cards, but I am guessing that with only 8 episodes House of Cards could be released my May 31st. The Handmaid’s Tale, Stranger Things, This is Us, The Crown, and Westworld will be eligible. Game of thrones is also eligible. We also have a few new contenders that will probably not break into drama series but might be close: The Deuce, Ozark, and Mindhunter. Also, we should look out for the final season of The Americans to return.

Does Handmaid’s Tale repeat? I don’t agree with the poster above that GOT has no heat or buzz – it’s still one of the biggest/most popular shows in the world and the new voting system very much favors safe, populist choices. I think we’ll know more when we see how well it performs nomination wise in comparison to 2016.

I’d say The Handmaid’s Tale is a decent ways in front of Game of Thrones for a few reasons. It beat GoT at WGA, PGA, DGA, Critics Choice, and the Golden Globes. It wasn’t able to win SAG, but that can be blamed on the fact that Hulu didn’t really have much of a SAG campaign. The Handmaid’s Tale season 1 also did many things that Game of Thrones could not, including overcoming votesplitting in supporting Actress. So there is an obvious appreciation for the show. As long as Thr Handmaid’s Tale doesn’t suffer from a HUGE drop in quality, I’d say it should be safe. Also, even though Game of Thrones is undoubtedly more popular than The Handmaids Tale and has more buzz, I’d argue that it doesn’t matter too much because a vast majority of the academy has seen both shows.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  Hunter-ish.
    Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

ricardo505’s predictions are terrible across the board.

Alison Brie is overshadowed too much by the ensemble.

Modern Family has been nominated by one out of sixteen guilds this year, for sound mixing. It is finally done.

jf123
    Participant
    Topics:

Emma Stone says that Maniac will (probably) be coming out next fall.

Give Paul Thomas Anderson an Oscar.

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Ouch. But didn’t they finish filming in December? If it’s actually ineligible, Netflix will have only Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and GLOW for Comedy. I’d feel more confident in GLOW, if Maniac doesn’t premiere before June.

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Mandy Moore is in the Drama Lead Actress race, for sure. If nominated, she could very well be a threat to win.

In the days where episode submissions actually mattered, yes. However, I don’t think Moore, who wasn’t even nominated last year when her show got seven Emmy nominations for acting, can win in the current sweep mentality era of the Emmys. Look at wins like Dinklage for GoT S5 or Dowd for Handmaid’s Tale. Agree or disagree with any of the winners themselves, it seems that what the Oscars once were, the Emmys now are, just checking off the name of a show that’s going to win the big prize whether the specific contender truly has done the best work or not.

Elisabeth Moss will likely win again since her show seems poised to repeat, judging by THT beating GoT at ACE Eddie, PGA, and DGA. THT’s SAG shutout can be ignored since Hulu didn’t send any kind of screeners or do any campaigning at all for the show.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Will we have a freshman show nominated for drama series? Every year there is one, though  besides than The Handmaid’s Tale no freshman show was nominated for series at the guilds.

Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

Ouch. But didn’t they finish filming in December? If it’s actually ineligible, Netflix will have only Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and GLOW for Comedy. I’d feel more confident in GLOW, if Maniac doesn’t premiere before June.

I’m terrified that Grace and Frankie will sneak into the lineup. It’s been growing every year. If Arrested Development is in time that is also Netflix.

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Will we have a freshman show nominated for drama series? Every year there is one, though besides than The Handmaid’s Tale no freshman show was nominated for series at the guilds.

The Deuce would be the obvious choice, but I doubt it’ll happen. I guess we won’t have any freshman dramas.

I don’t think Grace and Frankie could sneak in, but Arrested Development could be a thing at the Emmys.

Andrew Carden
    Participant
    Topics:

Go Grace and Frankie! 🙂

For the finest in film reviews and awards analysis (and my annual Oscar predictions contest), please visit me at The Awards Connection!

Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually forgot about The Deuce lol. What do we think about Gyllenhaal’s chances? She was definitely the strongest thing about the show and she’s deserving. I don’t see it happening though.

Courtney
    Participant
    Topics:

Will we have a freshman show nominated for drama series? Every year there is one, though besides than The Handmaid’s Tale no freshman show was nominated for series at the guilds.

The Deuce would be the obvious choice, but I doubt it’ll happen. I guess we won’t have any freshman dramas.

I don’t think Grace and Frankie could sneak in, but Arrested Development could be a thing at the Emmys.

Yeah, it’s a shame that this year there are so little new, exciting dramas. Especially since last year there were 4.

Overall, I think it’s been a so-so year for TV. We have only a few months left to change that.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 197 total)

The topic ‘2018 Emmy Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.