Home Forums Television 2018 SAG Awards TV Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

2018 SAG Awards TV Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 232 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Teridax
Riley
  • Stretchy
    Participant
    Topics:

I made the fatal mistake of editing my post and now it’s stuck in mod approval purgatory. I’m not going to repost since it’s very long and then we end up with 2 of them.

JB
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions:
    Drama Ensemble: Stranger Things
    ~ spoiler: This is Us
    Drama Actress: Clare Foy (The Crown)
    Drama Actor: Sterling K. Brown (This is Us)
    Comedy Ensemble: Glow
    Comedy Actress: Julia Louis Dreyfuss (Veep)
    Comedy Actor: Sean Hayes (Will & Grace)
    Limited Series/TV Movie Actor: Alexander Skarsgaard (Big Little Lies)
    ~ spoiler: DeNiro
    Limited Series/TV Movie Actress: Nicole Kidman (Big Little Lies)
    Stunt Ensemble: Game Of Thrones

*HBO and NBC sent links for all their nominees. Netflix sent links and DVDs and had screenings… Hulu sent nothing

Sim111
    Participant
    Topics:

What does spoiler mean?

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

In competitions (elections, awards, races), a spoiler is a contender that does not pose a threat of winning, but who could otherwise disrupt the race, namely by drawing votes away from another contender, e.g. Woody Harrelson is a spoiler in the Best Supporting Actor race this year because he could cost Sam Rockwell the Oscar if fans of the film are split evenly enough between the two of them.

However, most people on this site and others predicting awards use “spoiler” incorrectly by using it interchangeably with “dark horse”.  A dark horse is a contender that could win unexpectedly, e.g. Get Out is not the frontrunner to win Best Picture, but I think that most of us are wary of its upset potential.

JB is saying that he is predicting Stranger Things to win, but to watch out because This is Us could come from behind and steal it.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Hulu sent nothing

they can always stream it xP

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

For sure, but when you are dealing with 121 000 voters, why take a chance like that in a close race?

Is there a significant lack of competition in Drama Lead Actor for SKB to just be the de-facto winner or is there a real battle going on and SKB is kicking ass and taking names. I watched a few episodes of TIU and it’s not my cup of tea..I just keep looking back to the 2014 Emmys and this category was a bloodbath with McConaughey/Harrelson and Cranston and Spacey and Hamm and 3 years later this guy’s just blowing through unchallenged.

It says something when Billy Bob Thornton can win a Golden Globe for Goliath.  My favourite drama actor lineup was 2010.  All of the nominees should have won.

Amanda seems to think Dinklage is winning here because voters wouldn’t want him to lose 3 times in one night; 2 problems with that are they probably aren’t paying attention to that, and he’s really nothing more than a name-check here.

They definitely do not think like that.

Can someone explain the Sean Hayes thing?

Gold Derby just will not give it up.  They get on these weird trains sometimes.  I suppose that we all do.

Movie/Mini actress: As Riley rightly pointed out last year, vote splitting is a big deal with SAG. Does that mean voters’ heads are just gonna explode trying to pick here?

My point was a bit more nuanced, i.e. it does not apply in this case.

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

I will say that I care a lot more about the film side of these awards than the TV side, so that’s why I decided to make a few out there predictions.

Drama Ensemble: The Handmaid’s Tale
    Drama Actor: Jason Bateman, Ozark
    Drama Actress: Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid’s Tale
    Comedy Ensemble: Orange is the New Black
    Comedy Actor: Larry David, Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Comedy Actress: Alison Brie, GLOW
    Limited Series Actor: Robert De Niro, The Wizard of Lies
    Limited Series Actress: Nicole Kidman, Big Little Lies

Riley
    Participant
    Topics:

Alison Brie has the same problem as Taylor Schilling (and various others), if you ask me, in that despite being the lead of her show, she is not really anyone’s favourite among viewers of the show and even her own show does not seem to like her.  Having said that, she did get a SAG nomination.

Hunter-ish
    Participant
    Topics:

The toughest category for me is comedy actor. I don’t know what to do there. Anthony Anderson seems logical. People love black-ish and see it as overdue. It hasn’t won anything yet so I could have seen SAG being his gateway to win the Emmy, but black-ish seems to be losing support. WGA hasn’t touched it in years, Ross was dropped from the Golden Globes, PGA dropped it, DGA still doesn’t care for it, and Ross still couldn’t get in at SAG. I don’t know if the industry, or SAG for that matter, cares about the show enough to give it any wins, even for Anderson. But Maybe SAG is out of touch with the industry for him to win and it won’t mean anything, sort of like Macy winning last year.

Macy could win as default since there isn’t a clear alternative. It’d have nothing to do with his performance though.

Ansari is another alternative that makes sense. Master of None is over performing at the guilds like crazy, and this is his first SAG nom for the show, but I’m not sure if people care enough about his performance to vote for him or even his profile to namecheck him.

I want to predict Marc Maron. JLD is not losing comedy actress to Brie, but I am predicticting GLOW to win ensemble, so it makes sense Marin could win. But at the same time, I don’t know if there is passion or consensus behind him or his performance.

Finally, I am predicting Hayes only because I don’t know who else I should predict. A lot of people love Will & Grace, and he is the only place for them to vote for it. Also, keep in mind that SAG has a lot of gay voters. I’m not sure if that’s an advantage but I think it should be recognized. Hayes has also been cited as the MVP of this season, so he has acclaim behind him.  He also has the industry respect, which solely carried Macy to the win last year. If Macy could win as his only nominee and no passion behind his show, Hayes can pull it off.

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

Hulu sent nothing

they can always stream it xP

I think Elisabeth Moss’ performance is so universally beloved and iconic that the voters will feel that they don’t even need to watch the show in order to vote for her. However, I do feel that the relative lack of visibility for The Handmaid’s Tale and Hulu shows in general will give Netflix’s Stranger Things the edge it needs to repeat as the winner of the Drama Ensemble category.

PerksofBeingGriff
    Participant
    Topics:

I spoke to 7 SAG voters and all of them are voting Bateman for actor. Only one is voting for Moss, and the rest are voting for Foy.

I don’t think they’ll win, but Netflix will have a good night.

“Someone is staring at you in ‘Personal Growth’.”

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I spoke to 7 SAG voters and all of them are voting Bateman for actor. Only one is voting for Moss, and the rest are voting for Foy.

I don’t think they’ll win, but Netflix will have a good night.

Moss has been sweeping, but I really can see Foy winning again, but I guess she doesn’t have enough starpower to do that.

kancov
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel forced to put Skarsgard in my predictions because of the momentum he’s been gaining winning award after award. All previous winners in his category are big movie stars and this year we have De Niro, who would be the obvious winner.

Teridax
    Participant
    Topics:

I just switched to Skarsgard over De Niro. The momentum of Big Little Lies feels unstoppable. I might switch back to De Niro tomorrow, but for now I feel comfortable with Emmy/Globe/Critics Choice winner Skarsgard.

Marco B.
    Participant
    Topics:

I am basically predicting every single frontrunner – according to Goldderby odds – to win, except for Comedy Actor where I’m very conflicted and have an unlikely feeling Anderson will triumph. How boring of me.

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 232 total)

The topic ‘2018 SAG Awards TV Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open)’ is closed to new replies.