Home Forums Television 2019 Directors Guild of America TV nominees announced.

2019 Directors Guild of America TV nominees announced.

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
Ivo Stoyanov
Riley
Turd Ferguson
  • Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

It is the peak television era and those are the drama nominees? The guilds have really done a terrible job recognizing dramas. Who knew that consensus favourites Game of Thrones, The Crown and Stranger Things were masking such a mess?

I loved this season of Homeland, do not get me wrong, but it is weird for that show to resurface here and at ASC for its seventh season. I mean, in a couple of years when Homeland and Better Call Saul are gone, I hope that these awards move on to something new instead of going back to nominating Grey’s Anatomy.

The nomination for that director of The Handmaid’s Tale is inexplicable. How was an American television directorial debut nominated over Emmy-nominated-for-same-season Kari Skogland, lead director Mike Barker and three-time DGA nominee Jeremy Podeswa? Not a knock on her worthiness. The snub of Emmy winner Ryan Murphy is inexplicable too.

Succession was the only new drama nominated by the WGA and/or DGA for drama series. It is in great shape for the Emmys.

Mike Judge’s run is finally over. Can passion pull The Americans through or does the widespread Ozark love finally manifest a win? The Handmaid’s Tale seems the least likely. “Teddy Perkins” is very much a DGA kind of win and Sharp Objects should have it in limited.

"I don't even believe in god, but I'm going to thank her tonight."

ReplyCopy URL
    dizzieblonde
    Participant
    Topics:

They’ve snubbed Ryan Murphy before, although nominated for Glee, The People v OJ and The Normal Heart, he has never won, nor has any other director nominated for his shows. Versace deserved at least a nomination, but they decided to nominate the almost universally ignored Paterno, just because of the name attached, as far as I can see. It certainly didn’t merit any special recognition for its direction, as far as I can see!

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

How was an American television directorial debut nominated over Emmy-nominated-for-same-season Kari Skogland, lead director Mike Barker and three-time DGA nominee Jeremy Podeswa?

They just liked her work more, Holly is a terrific and very distinctive episode. Why is this so weird? We are constantly complaining about people nominated just as name recognition,now we are also complaining when they nominate someone without a name recognition? IO am confused…

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Versace deserved at least a nomination, but they decided to nominate the almost universally ignored Paterno, just because of the name attached, as far as I can see. It certainly didn’t merit any special recognition for its direction, as far as I can see!

Versace compites as drama, so this only reassures us that they definitely loved Ozark and Succession very much. And that they still love enormously Homeland and The Handmaid’s Tale. And that they finally discovered The Americans.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

So where are all the people that were saying that the last three episodes of The Handmaid’s Tale were bad and that they were going to affect the second season when they are eligible for other awards? Hahahahahaha.

The Handmaid’s Tale is the only show that was nominated for every possible award at every guild at every category (at the WGA is the only one nominated for both Best Drama and Best Dramatic Episode).

And are you still really surprised that they ignored Westworld? The entire industry hated the second season (Golden Globes and Critics Choice included). And also about Hill House? No one in the industry watched this show (Golden Globes and Critics Choice included).

I find the nominations for those particular episodes of THT, Homeland and The Americans very, very good, so I am really impressed with the directors. I have not watched Ozark and Succession, so I cannot say anything about them. It is obvious that a very few people have watched Pose, Homecoming and The Bodyguard, I told you this many times, there is too much TV, good shows need to advertise themselves better. Amazon needs to do something, Maisel is their only TV show that is wildly watched, the ONLY ONE.

Escape at Dannemora versus Sharp Objects at the Emmys (with Maniac probably nominated almost everywhere, but without a chance of winning). Are they going to watch A Very English Scandal by then? Probably not.

ReplyCopy URL
    DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

Wow, the drama category is awful

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

They just liked her work more, Holly is a terrific and very distinctive episode. Why is this so weird? We are constantly complaining about people nominated just as name recognition,now we are also complaining when they nominate someone without a name recognition? IO am confused…

Like I said, I am not knocking the quality of her work. This is a predictions site and I was remarking on how unpredictable her nomination was, opposite the big names of Jason Bateman, Lesli Linka Glatter and Adam McKay.

So where are all the people that were saying that the last three episodes of The Handmaid’s Tale were bad and that they were going to affect the second season when they are eligible for other awards? Hahahahahaha.

The Handmaid’s Tale won nearly everything in sight last year. This year, it was snubbed for best drama by the Golden Globes and Critics’ Choice and it was not on the AFI list, even though major competitors Game of Thrones, The Crown and Stranger Things are sitting out. And are we just pretending that the shutout at the Emmy telecast did not happen? Hahahahahaha.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

The Handmaid’s Tale won nearly everything in sight last year. This year, it was snubbed for best drama by the Golden Globes and Critics’ Choice and it was not on the AFI list, even though major competitors Game of Thrones, The Crown and Stranger Things are sitting out. And are we just pretending that the shutout at the Emmy telecast did not happen? Hahahahahaha.

It isn’t even in the Top 25 on Metacritic’s Year End List this year, when it was third for its first season. That is enough of an indicator how much the show declined in quality.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I was remarking on how unpredictable her nomination was, opposite the big names of Jason Bateman, Lesli Linka Glatter and Adam McKay.

Since when is Jason Bateman a big DIRECTOR name? He just has one nomination for the Emmys, which is big and prestigious, but it does not make him a big name. He is not even a big name as actor.

And about THT, I did not said that it was not divisive, but it still has many fans, this was reflected by the guilds (GG and CC are not guilds and they are not industry). Also, the Emmys can shutout a show and to find it good at the same time, because your favorite example for Big Player during your recent comments – Stranger Things was shutout for BOTH of his seasons.

And talking about the industry, I am still predicting a wins for THT as cast and for Moss as drama actress at the SAG, so we are going to talk again.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Ivo Stoyanov.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

You said that the quality of the last three episodes would not affect the show’s awards run. The show’s awards run has clearly been affected.

You are taking my Stranger Things citation out of context. By the way, Stranger Things went from Emmy telecast shutout to Emmy telecast shutout. The Handmaid’s Tale went from five telecast wins to zero.

Since when is Jason Bateman a big DIRECTOR name? He just has one nomination for the Emmys, which is big and prestigious, but it does not make him a big name. He is not even a big name as actor.

Um.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

You said that the quality of the last three episodes would not affect the show’s awards run. The show’s awards run has clearly been affected.

You are taking my Stranger Things citation out of context. By the way, Stranger Things went from Emmy telecast shutout to Emmy telecast shutout. The Handmaid’s Tale went from five telecast wins to zero.

Okay, I admit that you are right here, but I still think that the show has a strong support and bug fandom among the industry. The guilds nominations have shown that. Will see what will happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    Fade
    Participant
    Topics:

Did anyone actually think “Holly” was a standout episode of season two? It has a relatively middling score on IMDb.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Did anyone actually think “Holly” was a standout episode of season two? It has a relatively middling score on IMDb.

Yeah, I would say millions of people. You can see it on Facebook, YouTube and Instagram. And many times complicated and different episodes like Holly have normal scores on IMDB, people vote higher scores for plot episodes.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.