Home Forums Television 2019 Drama Emmys if Stranger Things and Big Little Lies were Eligible

2019 Drama Emmys if Stranger Things and Big Little Lies were Eligible

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
8 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca
ivostoyanov
forwardswill
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Haven’t actually seen a thread for this yet (I know Riley Chow did one on the drama series race had The Crown been eligible) and I wondered how the Emmy race would have shaped up last year had BLL and ST been eligible. Especially seeming both haven’t done so well at the precursors for this year and both were ready and could easily have made into the noms list in 2019 had they been released before the deadline (not including The Crown, Westworld and THT as they were still in production).

Here are my thoughts but obvi feel free to put yours below.

Drama Series

1. Game of Thrones (HBO)
    2. Big Little Lies (HBO)
    3. Stranger Things (Netflix)
    4. Better Call Saul (AMC)
    5. Succession (HBO)
    6. Ozark (Netflix)
    7. Killing Eve (BBC America)
    8. This is Us (NBC)

Conclusion : I think Bodyguard and Pose would have missed. KE and TIU’s places are inter changeable and I think had ST and BLL been released before the deadline, they would have done quite well but still would have missed Series.

Lead Actress in a Drama Series

1. Jodie Comer – Killing Eve
    2. Nicole Kidman – Big Little Lies
    3. Sandra Oh – Killing Eve
    4. Reese Witherspoon – Big Little Lies
    5. Laura Linney – Ozark
    6. Emilia Clarke – Game of Throne
    7. Robin Wright – House of Cards

Conclusion : Viola Davis would have been 8th and Mandy Moore 9th respectively. Judging from how badly Kidman has performed in the precursor season, I think Jodie would have pipped it. Jodie managed to beat Oh without vote splitting this time round and I think even if (as I am guessing) BLL wouldn’t have been as negatively received had it been released just before the deadline (I think part of the reason it’s done badly this awards season is because it aired ages ago), Reese and Nicole would have vote split.

Lead Actor in a Drama Series

1. Billy Porter – Pose
    2. Bob Odenkirk – Better Call Saul
    3. Jason Bateman – Ozark
    4. Kit Harrington – Game of Thrones
    5. Sterling K Brown – This is Us
    6. Milo Ventimiglia – This is Us

Conclusion : No changes

Supporting Actress in a Drama Series

1. Julia Garner – Ozark
    2. Meryl Streep – Big Little Lies
    3. Laura Dern – Big Little Lies
    4. Lena Headey – Game of Thrones
    5. Millie Bobby Brown – Stranger Things
    6. Maisie Williams – Game of Thrones
    7. Shailene Woodley – Big Little Lies
    8. Gwendoline Christie – Game of Thrones

Conclusion : Zoe Kravitz, Sophie Turner, Fiona Shaw and Winona Ryder in 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th respectively. Julia would have still won because BLL and GoT ladies would have vote split.

Supporting Actor in a Drama Series

1. David Harbour – Stranger Things
    2. Peter Dinklage – Game of Thrones
    3. Jonathan Banks – Better Call Saul
    4. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau – Game of Thrones
    5. Michael Kelly – House of Cards
    6. Adam Scott – Big Little Lies
    7. Alfie Allen – Game of Thrones

Conclusion : Giancarlo Esposito, Dacre Montgomery and Chris Sullivan in 8th, 9th and 10th respectively. No doubt about if Esposito didn’t get in, Banks could’ve won due to a GoT split. If Harbour was eligible, it would have been harder for Dinklage

Writing

1. Succession
    2. Killing Eve
    3. Better Call Saul
    4. The Handmaid’s Tale
    5. Stranger Things
    6. Big Little Lies

Conclusion : Game of Thrones and Bodyguard in 7th and 8th respectively.

Directing

1. Ozark
    2. Stranger Things
    3. Succession
    4. Big Little Lies
    5. Game of Thrones
    6. Game of Thrones

Conclusion : Game of Thrones, The Handmaid’s Tale and Killing Eve in 7th, 8th and 9th respectively.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Tyler
    Topics:

If Stranger Things had released in MAY and GOT was still vote splitting I think the battle of starcourt would’ve won directing

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Lol as if Julia Garner would have beaten Meryl Streep if BLL aired right at the end of May. It would have been a landslide. The only reason Streep can lose this season instead is because the show aired so early, allowing vote splitting to take more of an effect if Dern or Woodley are nommed.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Dinklage would’ve easily won again.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Sab227
    Topics:

Theres bo way dinglage would have lost for the final season

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Are people making these what-if posts because they just want to undermine GOT? Because I honestly don’t get it. It’s not like we’ll ever know any way. I still firmly believe that GOT would have done close to as well as it did. And with both BLL and ST not landing with audiences as expected, I can’t imagine them changing the game completely.

Sometimes I wonder if people properly understand the Emmys. While The Battle of Starcourt is absolutely stunning, Best Directing is all about either Most Directing or Most-Respected (Male) Director, which is why Bateman would have still won, I think. It’s also the same reason why The Crown is nowhere near a lock for the win this year either – Oscar winner Stephen Daldry didn’t direct. Supp. Actress might have really still gone to Garner since BLL was and is always going to split its vote there (after seeing that season), and MBB just doesn’t compare to Garner. Supp. Actor had Dinklage engraved on the trophy from the very beginning; I think it’s hilarious how people are still trying to sell this David Harbour argument – it’s not going to ever happen. He had his chance for S2 and still couldn’t overcome Dinklage.</p>

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Luca is 100% correct. BLL and Stranger Things would have hardly changed the main telecast results. Maybe not even the Creative Arts.

Harbour has always been a pipedream. Dinklage beat him in 2017 with Waldau nominated alongside. Why would Alfie Allen suddenly be so fatal for Dinklage to make him lose? Dinklage just bested Harbour head to head at SAG.

I can’t understand that ST Directing prediction at all tbh. It has never won above the line or at DGA for that matter, it’s losing support fast (evident by the significant drop in nominations and wins from S1 to S2), S3 just came and went and that show was snubbed almost everywhere, even by tech guilds for its latest season. Releasing close to voting might clench you some extra nominations even if you are losing popularity, but you need passionate support to win things. THT S2 is a prime example of that, and even that show was miles ahead of where Stranger Things is now. It’s would be the only tech-heavy episode besides the Game of Thrones ones, so maybe that’s the logic? If that’s the case, it should have won in 2018 over The Crown, shouldn’t it?

As for Meryl Streep, people proclaimed the same thing when predicting the Globes, where the show did well enough. Some were seriously considering her for SAG before noms and even Kidman was snubbed there eventually. Multiple shows got double noms in the same category so don’t come at me with that vote-splitting logic. The point is Streep has been so overestimated for this performance already and we’ve seen how that’s all turned out. With Ozark’s rising profile and popularity, Garner even getting a SAG nom and the general passion for her performance, Garner was much stronger than people are willing to admit and would have definitely put up a strong fight. Streep could have won but I think it’s ridiculous to think she would have definitely won in a landslide. If she’s losing because of vote-splitting with Dern this year then the very same could, in fact would have happened last year as well. Dern would be easily nominated over either Shaw or Turner. And again, releasing near the end of eligibility and winning awards is weird logic, which is easily disproved.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Also, why put ST and BLL in the picture but not Handmaid’s S3? That for sure would have taken up  a bunch of acting slots. But GOT would have still left the main ceremony with its two wins and was always going to win those below-the-line races. I mean, it’s the biggest and most impressive TV technical achievement ever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

GoT would have easily won yet again. Give it up already. The support for that show was off the roof; it’s simply the most popular show on the planet and nothing was gonna change that, not even S8’s atrocious writing.

Yeah. This year is much more exciting than the boring last year, at least for Drama.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

I mean, it’s the biggest and most impressive TV technical achievement ever.

Sure, that is why lost both directing and cinematography, I suppose that those two are not part of its technical achievement…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Sure, that is why lost both directing and cinematography, I suppose that those two are not part of its technical achievement…

It lost directing because of vote-splitting. It was as simple as that. I know you would like to think otherwise, but it’s obvious. The same with 2018’s race. And I don’t know what the cinematography branch was smoking those eight years because Game of Thrones never winning that category is just ridiculous.

With that being said, Ivo, a masterful achievement isn’t always reflected by awards wins. GOT is the biggest technical achievement on television, and frankly, I don’t know how you combat that statement. You can sh*t on the writing, acting etc. all you want, but there’s no way you can discuss its technical merit – at least IMO.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

Lol as if Julia Garner would have beaten Meryl Streep if BLL aired right at the end of May. It would have been a landslide. The only reason Streep can lose this season instead is because the show aired so early, allowing vote splitting to take more of an effect if Dern or Woodley are nommed.

Your obsession with Streep killed all the objectivity that you usually have, she would never win an Emmy for this role under any circumstances. She was snubbed at SAG, while Garner was nominated. She lost the Globe without any co-stars with her, and specifically a voting body like the Globes who HATES repeats, preferred to reward Arquette for a second year in a row just to avoid rewarding Strep and HBC. I suppose that they did not really liked Toni Collette since she was the only deserving alternative. And when she was nominated along with Dern at the CC, they both deservingly lost to Jean Smart who created a much more interesting character who was both a broken woman and a complete badass without any yellings and that managed to convert episode 3 in an instant fan favorite. So no, Streep was not liked enough, she lacked passion, even between the large fandom, more like the opposite.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Topics:

It lost directing because of vote-splitting. It was as simple as that. I know you would like to think otherwise, but it’s obvious. The same with 2018’s race. And I don’t know what the cinematography branch was smoking those eight years because Game of Thrones never winning that category is just ridiculous.

With that being said, Ivo, a masterful achievement isn’t always reflected by awards wins. GOT is the biggest technical achievement on television, and frankly, I don’t know how you combat that statement. You can sh*t on the writing, acting etc. all you want, but there’s no way you can discuss its technical merit – at least IMO.

I agree, but that is what you and others use to defend it – 4 drama wins for series, so we are now strictly speaking on those terms, the best technical achievement also wins directing and cinematography.

And no, it did not lost directing due to vote split, it lost due to lacking in support. How Watchmen managed to NOT vote split at DGA? How Jodie Comer overcome vote split? Stop explaining everything you do not like with vote split, it is ridiculous, we already saw that at SAG with Tony Shalhoub who supposedly won last year due to vote split, well we saw that he did not.

Your theory with the big names in directing is very weak as well. Jason Bateman is respected actor, not respected director (not until Ozark). Reed Morano was a NO ONE. Stephen Daldry won on merit thanks to his submission, “Paterfamilias” is a masterpiece of an episode, the favorite episode of the show for many of us, an incredible achievement on all levels and with impressive performances by newcomers (Philip and Charles as teens).

I have never said that GoT is not good technically, but I disliked the directing and the cinematography in his submitted episodes, I would have support “The Bell” for those, but not “The Iron Throne” (the only awards worthy cinematography was in the scenes with Daenerys and horrible directing) and “The Long Night” (messy directing and horrible cinematography).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Your obsession with Streep killed all the objectivity that you usually have

I’m not sure you’re the right person to accuse others of not being objective…

And no, it did not lost directing due to vote split, it lost due to lacking in support. How Watchmen managed to NOT vote split at DGA? How Jodie Comer overcome vote split? Stop explaining everything you do not like with vote split, it is ridiculous, we already saw that at SAG with Tony Shalhoub who supposedly won last year due to vote split, well we saw that he did not. Your theory with the big names in directing is very weak as well. Jason Bateman is respected actor, not respected director (not until Ozark). Reed Morano was a NO ONE. Stephen Daldry won on merit thanks to his submission, “Paterfamilias” is a masterpiece of an episode, the favorite episode of the show for many of us, an incredible achievement on all levels and with impressive performances by newcomers (Philip and Charles as teens).

I think what you continuously seem to forget is that just because a winner is 100% deserving, like Reed Morano or Stephen Daldry, doesn’t mean their win wasn’t helped by another factor: Morano was obviously helped by the Handmaid’s sweep that year (of course her flawless direction stood out, too) while Daldry is an Academy Award nominee who probably capitalized on a Thrones vote-split.

And comparing DGA or Best Drama Actress to Best Director at the Emmys is like comparing apples to oranges. Thrones took up half that category – it’s very likely that there was some vote-splitting going on. As for Bateman, after receiving a surprising nod for S1, then going on to nab a DGA nod and finally an Emmy win, it’s obvious to me that he’s established himself as not only a well-respected actor but also a well-respected director.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.