Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

2019 Emmy Awards Ceremony Reactions (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 311 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +4 hidden )
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Rachel
EsOS
  • Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved Barry but the acclaim was not synonymous with Fleabag, which is 9 points higher for the season on Metacritic and swept the TCAs. Again, I love Barry, and you’re totally entitled to think Fleabag is overrated, it’s bound to a happen when a show is THIS praised, but the facts are pretty much the facts: Fleabag owned the season like no other program.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t understand the hype around Fleabag. I’ve seen other British shows that are just as good. Don’t get me wrong, I think Fleabag should’ve won for Best Comedy over Barry for sure but I still think the show is overrated.

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s hard to say I think Fleabag is overrated, it’s still my personal choice for comedy series this year (of any comedy show not just the emmy nominees), but I wouldn’t put it up there with the greatest comedies of all time

ReplyCopy URL
    Bridgian
    Participant
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

It’s hard to say I think Fleabag is overrated, it’s still my personal choice for comedy series this year (of any comedy show not just the emmy nominees), but I wouldn’t put it up there with the greatest comedies of all time

</p>
    Of course! Those comedies are nowhere near as good as Fleabag!

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I loved Barry but the acclaim was not synonymous with Fleabag, which is 9 points higher for the season on Metacritic

I understand where you are coming from but I don’t think it’s fair to compare their Metacritic scores when the reviews for Barry only considered the first half of S2, unlike Fleabag, which was reviewed for its complete second season. The second half of Barry is so much better than the already great first one. ronny/lily alone would have increased Barry’s score significantly. No episode of television got more fanfare and acclaim from both critics and audiences than ronny/lily this year, and all of this was during the time Game of Thrones was hogging all the press for S8, which in turn makes this mightily impressive.

ReplyCopy URL
    fvg627
    Participant
    Topics:

Wait, how did McKay lose to Bateman?

I think the directors branch must secretly like Ozark more than anyone thought. The show did pull double director nominations last year despite no series nom. Who knows, maybe Bateman would have beat Daldry too if the show hadn’t vote split.

As for Succession losing, this could be a sign of the academy really caring about episodes. As a Succession fan, I have to say “Celebration” isn’t the most impressive episode, and in my opinion the only thing that makes it stand out from the rest of the show directorially is the name attached to it. I wonder if “Nobody is ever missing” would have won in director, just like it deservedly did in writing.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  fvg627.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  fvg627.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Mark Mylod and Andrij Parekh were more deserving than McKay, especially Mylod.  He is already deserving this year again with Tern Haven, so I’m hoping he gets nominated next year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s also important to point out that many people oversees haven’t seen Barry. Fleabag is universal but apparently Barry is harder to watch oversees. It’s sad that people still don’t know its brilliance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Chill out, Kylie Jenner.

ReplyCopy URL
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Regardless, my point is Barry is more popular than Fleabag.

Barry has 29k votes on IMDb, Fleabag has 36k.

On the TV Time app, Barry has 86k followers/viewers, fleabag has 90k.

On facebook, the official Barry page has 31k likes, fleabag’s 64k.

Should I continue ?

ReplyCopy URL
    Couverture
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the directors branch must secretly like Ozark more than anyone thought.

I think they’ve made it very obvious how much they like Ozark.

ReplyCopy URL
    wilfredpickles
    Participant
    Topics:

Fleabag is universal but apparently Barry is harder to watch oversees. It’s sad that people still don’t know its brilliance.

HBO stuff can be really hard to track down outside the US. As someone in that boat, I really appreciate streaming service originals for that reason.

ReplyCopy URL
    Kellyemm
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s also important to point out that many people oversees haven’t seen Barry. Fleabag is universal but apparently Barry is harder to watch oversees. It’s sad that people still don’t know its brilliance.

Yeah, it has basically zero following in Australia, but I would say similarly about Veep and Maisel. Fleabag isn’t really “of a place”, particularly

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

The acclaim Fleabag has received is unparalleled this season.

Yes Barry has 100% but based on only 35 reviews compared to 80 for Fleabag.
    Barry is comparable to Veep, Maisel and Russian Doll. Acclaimed but not praised to heaven.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

I understand where you are coming from but I don’t think it’s fair to compare their Metacritic scores when the reviews for Barry only considered the first half of S2, unlike Fleabag, which was reviewed for its complete second season. The second half of Barry is so much better than the already great first one. ronny/lily alone would have increased Barry’s score significantly. No episode of television got more fanfare and acclaim from both critics and audiences than ronny/lily this year, and all of this was during the time Game of Thrones was hogging all the press for S8, which in turn makes this mightily impressive.

This is all super valid.

I still think it’s clear Fleabag was the critic’s choice #1 show of the year, but Barry happily took the silver medal, and probably had the most acclaimed single episode of the year with ronny/lilly.

Also, in the conversation regarding Fleabag a GOAT, for me I’m torn because I think the show consists of  two of the most immaculate seasons I’ve ever seen, but yet it’s still only two, which is hard to compare in the grand scheme of things to dozens if not hundreds of episodes of 30 Rock, The Office, and Seinfeld. Fleabag has a better track record than any of the above, but the above also had many, many more episodes. It’s a tough thing to come to a conclusion on.  On a season to season basis, Fleabag was for sure the best this year and is I think an all timer in terms of greatest seasons of comedy.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 311 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.