Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 492 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
Rachel
Guest 2018
ginnala
  • boss
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like if Jim Parsons is nominated, he would be the most likely to beat Bill Hader.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Problemchild
    Participant
    Topics:

I hope they drop Hale and Walsh from Supporting Actor.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mickmack
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like if Jim Parsons is nominated, he would be the most likely to beat Bill Hader.

Really? Based on?

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Netflix did like four FYC events for Russian Doll and Glow, so I think they are having these two shows as safe bets

I just spent ten days in Los Angeles and kept a tally of the 150 billboards and posters that I saw around the city.  Russian Doll was among the comedies that I saw advertised most, but I did not see GLOW once after seeing it maybe more than any other show when I made the same trip last year.  Chris says that such a billboard exists though.  Also, the DVDs that Netflix sent voters for Russian Doll and The Kominsky Method came in their own special packages, whereas GLOW was just in one of their big boxes with a bunch of other shows.  As for events, Netflix held one in Los Angeles and one in New York for each of Russian Doll, The Kominsky Method and GLOW; Universal also held a Russian Doll event that was not exclusively open to Emmy voters.

Other panels not exclusively to open to Emmy voters also variably featured people from these shows and others.  All three featured on the scene-stealers panel.  Both Russian Doll and GLOW featured on the costumes panel, as well as at crafts day and both women days.  Russian Doll also featured on the music panel.  So I would say that Russian Doll is their top comedy priority because it seems like they pulled out all the stops for it.  Then I would give the edge to The Kominsky Method over GLOW because of the screener situation.  They brought out GLOW to more events, but The Kominsky Method is not a woman’s or crafts-heavy show.

I see it as a bad sign that the Dead to Me event where they announced their renewal was not restricted to Emmy voters, but also open to guild members and “Other”, presumably to fill seats. They also did not do a New York event for it.

ReplyCopy URL
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Really? Based on?

He is a four time winner in this category and voters might be sentimental to give him a farewell prize for a performance which many really liked. That being said, I’m not even predicting him for a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

voters might be sentimental

Will the myth that Emmy voters are sentimental ever die?

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

They are sometimes and more so in the winners phase under the new system.

ReplyCopy URL
    methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

Parsons winning 5 times would be ridiculous.

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

I know I’ve said this before, but it’s honestly hilarious how similar this is to last year’s drama situation. A series from an up-and-coming streaming service sweeps in the absence of an HBO juggernaut? Other than guest actress, Maisel won the exact same awards Handmaid’s did in 2017. If last year is any indication, voters like to spread the wealth after having a show sweep like that. I think that Maisel will fare better than Handmaid’s did last year just due to the fact that its second season was much more highly regarded (I’d say that its Directing and Supporting Actor trophies are fairly safe), but don’t expect to see any repeat wins outside of Directing. As much as Hader is deserving of a second trophy, they seem more likely to give it to someone they ignored in the past. Danson and Gilpin are the pair that I see most benefiting from this. Louis-Dreyfus is still safe though, despite being the ultimate repeat lmao.

Also, I’m trying to ignore what’s high up in the prediction center for comedy because Gold Derby is so often wrong when it comes to comedy and limited categories. Remember last year when Will & Grace was supposed to be this juggernaut contender? It’s so easy to get swept up by the discourse in the forums and be convinced by the opinions of just a few people who have no connection to the industry. I’m now just doing my best to think outside the box and foresee any of the surprises that could pop up.

ReplyCopy URL
    WildforFilm
    Participant
    Topics:

What do we gotta do to get Schitt’s Creek the nominations it deserves?

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Polls on who should win the Comedy Categories live now:

BEST COMEDY SERIES
    BEST COMEDY LEAD ACTRESS
    BEST COMEDY LEAD ACTOR
    BEST COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    BEST COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR

FYC GD Decade Awards : The Good Wife, The Crown and The Marvelous Mrs Maisel in all categories

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Parsons winning 5 times would be ridiculous.

Why? 5/12 is not that big a percentage when you consider JLD will be 7/7 in the equivalent category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 196 through 210 (of 492 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.