Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 391 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 hour ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Rachel
Guest 2018
ginnala
  • Zooey the Dreamer
    Participant
    Topics:

I know I’ve said this before, but it’s honestly hilarious how similar this is to last year’s drama situation. A series from an up-and-coming streaming service sweeps in the absence of an HBO juggernaut? Other than guest actress, Maisel won the exact same awards Handmaid’s did in 2017. If last year is any indication, voters like to spread the wealth after having a show sweep like that. I think that Maisel will fare better than Handmaid’s did last year just due to the fact that its second season was much more highly regarded (I’d say that its Directing and Supporting Actor trophies are fairly safe), but don’t expect to see any repeat wins outside of Directing. As much as Hader is deserving of a second trophy, they seem more likely to give it to someone they ignored in the past. Danson and Gilpin are the pair that I see most benefiting from this. Louis-Dreyfus is still safe though, despite being the ultimate repeat lmao.

Also, I’m trying to ignore what’s high up in the prediction center for comedy because Gold Derby is so often wrong when it comes to comedy and limited categories. Remember last year when Will & Grace was supposed to be this juggernaut contender? It’s so easy to get swept up by the discourse in the forums and be convinced by the opinions of just a few people who have no connection to the industry. I’m now just doing my best to think outside the box and foresee any of the surprises that could pop up.

THT Season 2 was a mess and didn’t win any awards other than the Emmys. Maisel’s second season is even more beloved than the first one (and I can think of its three SAG wins and one of the rare acting repeats at the Globes). So this is a completely different situation. I can see Maisel sweep.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah. When making comparisons between THT and TMMM, people seem to forget the difference between their critical and audience reception as well as their precursor run. Maisel S2 swept the guilds and other awards. THT S2 won nothing except a single minor guild award and was even dropped by the Globes and AFI (not that it deserved any better). Maisel jumped from 22 to 14 on Metacritic’s Critics List. The Handmaid’s Tale went from 3rd to not even being on the list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Oh god, how did we get to a point where we’re now comparing THT to TMMM? Those shows couldn’t be more different in every possible aspect.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh god, how did we get to a point where we’re now comparing THT to TMMM? Those shows couldn’t be more different in every possible aspect.

including quality

hihi just wanted to tease you

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s more about comparing the circumstances around their Emmy runs than the shows themselves actually.

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

I didn’t mean to compare the two shows’ quality. It’s undeniable that Maisel season two was much better received than Handmaid’s season two, and I agree that there isn’t really a way to compare the two based on quality or content, because yeah they’re REALLY different. As Mukund said, I just meant to compare the circumstances around their Emmy runs. And I’m not saying that Maisel is going to get completely shut out like Handmaid’s was. Like I said, I think it’s got Directing and Supporting Actor locked down, and I think it’s definitely runner-up in Series, Writing, Leading Actress, and probably Supporting Actress and the guest categories too. And if it won all eight of those, I wouldn’t be shocked, and it would be incredibly deserved! All I’m saying is that there’s a decent chance that the Emmys will want to spread out some of the wealth to the people that they passed over last year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

As Stegeo said

*Mukund 😅

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Oops, so sorry!!! Didn’t mean to put words in your mouth. Everyone’s rotating GoT profile pictures mixes me up sometimes lmao

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Why? 5/12 is not that big a percentage when you consider JLD will be 7/7 in the equivalent category.

5/12 is a huge percentage in Emmy history!

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

5/12 is a huge percentage in Emmy history!

But compared to JLD’s run it looks like it is not that big a deal (%42 to %100), is what I’m saying.

ReplyCopy URL
    ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’s definitely runner-up in Series, Writing, Leading Actress, and probably Supporting Actress

who do you have winning supporting actress? I think Borstein is safe to repeat

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

who do you have winning supporting actress? I think Borstein is safe to repeat

I think that too. Otherwise I’d say Chlumsky as a farewell gift but I suspect there never really was passion for her. Maisel had a stronger S2, I can’t see them sending it home empty-handed, cause Series is probably going to Veep, Actress JLD and Directing and Writing to Barry and Veep probably respectively. So I think Maisel might take home the supporting acting categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

D’Arcy Carden says to both Stegeo and ospencer, hold her beer as she picks up her rightful Emmy for Janet(s). If she makes it on nomination day, she WINS.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Metacritic Top 15 TV shows of 2018 (metacritic score, first place, second place, 3rd place votes, total points, respectively)

4 96 The Good Place (s3) 4 6 49.5 73.5
    14 85 The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (s2) 1 3 25.5 34.5

ReplyCopy URL
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Metacritic Top 15 TV shows of 2018 (metacritic score, first place, second place, 3rd place votes, total points, respectively)

4 96 The Good Place (s3) 4 6 49.5 73.5
    14 85 The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (s2) 1 3 25.5 34.5

Why are you so obsessed with TMMM? You can stan your fav without putting another show down.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 391 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.