Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 492 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
Rachel
Guest 2018
ginnala
  • Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

Does it make sense to predict The Good Place only for Series and Actor? The only other possibility is Supporting Actress, but I’m not predicting it.

It could get a random director nomination, But again not confident in it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Bridgian
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m sad nobody is talking about Tuca & Bertie. That show gets absolutely amazing by the end. This show is proof of why animated shows should be considered for best comedy series. Tiffany Haddish is fantastic in this show. Hoping it does well in nominations. Haddish would be a great voice over winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Does it make sense to predict The Good Place only for Series and Actor? The only other possibility is Supporting Actress, but I’m not predicting it.

It depends; does the Academy membership really want to commit professional seppuku for the third straight year by having entertainment media expose and blast their broadcast network bias (again?), their refusal to see just how popular the show is with critics (again?, with 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and a Metascore of 96?) and fans (again?, especially after digital viewing, it’s the network’s #1 show in the almighty demo)? Do they WANT to invite disdain and ridicule?

Do they slough off major gains in key below the line guilds (WGA, PGA, American Cinema Editors, Motion Picture Sound Editors and Art Directors Guild?) even as the relentless reign of error by Mrs. Maisel continues? Does it say fork you to the TV Critics Association’s reigning Comedy Program of the Year? Does it ignore their breakthroughs with the Nebula and Hugo Awards; the defending Hugo winner, I add, for Best Dramatic Presentation Short Form? And do they turn a blind eye to a Peabody-winner, the only broadcast network series this year to achieve that high honor?

To say nothing about next week’s TCA nominations, the Empire Awards (UK) TV nominations Thursday and the Saturn Awards (if they ever get off their asses and announce its nominations that are now 4 months overdue; a new producer of the show, apparently is the holdup). IF they don’t give one-one millionth of a tenth of a shit (hey to season 2 of Party Down), then snub them again. It deserves, conservatively, between 12 and 15 nominations. 18, tops.

But that’s just me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Writing could maybe happen

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

I- Certain comments on here have just made it hard to deal with The Good Place anymore.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve taken it out of my writing predictions. I don’t think they can make it without Schur submitted. Riley would say voters don’t get the writers’ names, but still.

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

I really don’t know what to do with Russian Doll in my predictions. Is it getting into series?? Just lead actress maybe??

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

I really don’t know what to do with Russian Doll in my predictions. Is it getting into series?? Just lead actress maybe??

I could be completely wrong on this, but didn’t Barry overperform in noms regarding writing and directing last year? I think Russian Doll can either follow suit and be seen as a real force to be reckoned with like Barry became last year, or get just Lyonne/Lyonne and series.

ReplyCopy URL
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

I could be completely wrong on this, but didn’t Barry overperform in noms regarding writing and directing last year? I think Russian Doll can either follow suit and be seen as a real force to be reckoned with like Barry became last year, or get just Lyonne/Lyonne and series.

But didn’t they submit like 3 episodes for each categories? Makes it hard to get a nom honestly.

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

who do you have winning supporting actress? I think Borstein is safe to repeat

Sorry my reply took so long! I’ve been traveling and spending most of the day without Internet.

Honestly, I’m not sure. I have Gilpin in right now, but I completely understand that that choice is HEAVILY influenced by my own personal bias, just because I’m not sure. Borstein would be an expected choice to repeat, and it would be really deserved because she’s AWESOME, but it just doesn’t seem like the kind of undeniable performance that can win twice in a row. SNL ladies will probably split votes, Hinkle doesn’t have the material, Carden will be lucky just to get nominated, Goldberg kinda lives in her male costars’ shadows, and everyone else is probably a non-factor except Chlumsky. Chlumsky and Borstein are both kind of tied in second place for me right now, and while Anna’s got the final season advantage, I hesitate to put her in first just because she didn’t have a whole ton to do this season, and she became EXTREMELY unlikeable (and not in a fun way like Louis-Dreyfus or Dowd). So I guess Gilpin? She reminds me a lot of Newton just in that they’re both co-leads in supporting who were the focus of their show’s critical acclaim in the second season. She also has most of the strong emotional beats (less so now that Brie was given heavier stuff in season two, but still, Gilpin’s the dramatic heart of the show). However, I agree that Gilpin also just doesn’t seem like a realistic winner, and while I’m personally rooting for her, I would be surprised if she actually did it.

So, in summary, I have Gilpin in my first spot, partly because of stan bias and partly because my gut is telling me to, but I could see this category going literally any direction.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

This is objectively untrue.

Literally no one said that

Why are y’all so used to living in your bubbles and when someone says something you all get hot and bothered. I have seen people complain how disappointing the season was and I posted that. Why is it so hard to accept that?

Better Things is a niche show barely watched by anyone so the complaints won’t be as loud as that of Game of Thrones’. Do you need the whole internet to scream at you to accept that?

ReplyCopy URL
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

It depends; does the Academy membership really want to commit professional seppuku for the third straight year by having entertainment media expose and blast their broadcast network bias (again?), their refusal to see just how popular the show is with critics (again?, with 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and a Metascore of 96?) and fans (again?, especially after digital viewing, it’s the network’s #1 show in the almighty demo)? Do they WANT to invite disdain and ridicule?

This Is Us exists in both case. The good place is far from being the network’s #1 show even with digital ratings. And Blackish got many nominations in recent years.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

I got carried away there; I meant to say it was NBC’s most popular COMEDY after digital viewing. Sorry for messing up.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

I think some people are very harsh on The Good Place because of Guest 2018’s behaviour. It’s a very well-written show and it is deserving of a series nom. Carden’s performance is outstanding (certainly better than the SNL actresses). Danson and Rudolf are also great.

Kristen Bell and the directing are serviceable but aren’t particularly worthy of acclaim.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 492 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.