Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 372 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
1 hour ago
replies
views
users
Rachel
Guest 2018
ginnala
  • Mickmack
    Participant
    Topics:

Christina Applegate to shock the world and win Lead Actress!

ReplyCopy URL
    montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

2 things I don’t understand.

1. Did I miss the big Russian Doll/Natasha Lyonne craze when it came out? Why of all the new shows is this the one people are so confident in making it in Series and Actress? Why it and not say Dead to Me/Christina Applegate which just hit recently with more buzz? Or Flebag/Phoebe which is getting a ton of heat for it’s season 2 among industry types?

2. Glow support was super soft last year with Brie/Macron missing. Now she is predicted to make it in with less heat behind the show? Hmmmmmm.

FYC Emmys- It's TIME JUST GIVE THESE WOMEN THEIR FIRST EMMYS- Lena Headey, Game of Thrones Sandra Oh, Killing Eve Anna Chulmsky, Veep Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Fleabag Phylicia Rashad, This is Us Michelle Williams, Fosse/Verdon Emily Watson, Chernobyl

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still hoping for that Sarah Goldberg nomination. She is so overlooked in Barry. She always delivers amazing performances but this year she really stood out. She and Stephen Root were really the backbones of Season 2.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

2. Glow support was super soft last year with Brie/Macron missing. Now she is predicted to make it in with less heat behind the show? Hmmmmmm.

GLOW season 2 was more acclaimed than Season 1 and Brie has back to back SAG noms, so a nomination makes sense. That being said, this category is overflowing with so many new contenders that there’s really no way of telling what happens. There’s really only two locks.

ReplyCopy URL
    insomniac26
    Participant
    Topics:

2 things I don’t understand.

1. Did I miss the big Russian Doll/Natasha Lyonne craze when it came out? Why of all the new shows is this the one people are so confident in making it in Series and Actress? Why it and not say Dead to Me/Christina Applegate which just hit recently with more buzz? Or Flebag/Phoebe which is getting a ton of heat for it’s season 2 among industry types?

Yes, you very much missed the Russian Doll buzz explosion earlier this year. It has a Metacritic score 20 points higher than Dead to Me and has inspired much more in the way of critical discussion/online ink.

I’d say in terms of comedy priorities for Netflix, Dead to Me is probably behind Russian Doll, GLOW, and The Kominsky Method.

As far as Fleabag, just for me personally, I’m not convinced that many people outside TV critics (who don’t Emmy vote) are watching. It’s a very small, very niche show on a platform without the market penetration or award history of Netflix; in addition, the show has to share attention with an already award-dominant comedy in Maisel. Would voters go for two originals from Amazon when Netflix, FX, HBO, etc. all have multiple contenders?

I think at absolute best, it gets in writing and maybe one supporting category.

ReplyCopy URL
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Christina Applegate to shock the world and win Lead Actress!

That would be borderline category fraud to me since I consider Dead To Me as a drama and her performance was clearly dramatic. Yes, 30min shows can be dramas.

ReplyCopy URL
    montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

As far as Fleabag, just for me personally, I’m not convinced that many people outside TV critics (who don’t Emmy vote) are watching. It’s a very small, very niche show on a platform without the market penetration or award history of Netflix; in addition, the show has to share attention with an already award-dominant comedy in Maisel. Would voters go for two originals from Amazon when Netflix, FX, HBO, etc. all have multiple contenders?

I think at absolute best, it gets in writing and maybe one supporting category.

These aren’t niche or critics darling.

Judd Apatow
    ‏Verified account @JuddApatow
    May 23
    You have clearly expressed what I was feeling while watching Fleabag. The writing is astounding- as is the directing.

Lulu Wang
    ‏Verified account @thumbelulu
    FLEABAG defines moment-to-moment writing. Every moment of this show is hilarious or heartbreaking or both. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is so connected in her writing and performance that the show feels transcendent. It’s absolutely brilliant and I am smiling through my tears.

Allison Tolman
    ‏Verified account @Allison_Tolman
    May 23
    Jesus Christ. You assholes weren’t overselling #Fleabag, were you.
    23 replies 43 retweets 664 likes

Reese Witherspoon
    ‏Verified account @ReeseW
    May 26
    Thankful for the rain today! Watching @fleabag season 2 and @KillingEve , it’s obvious #PhoebeWallerBridge is writing the best dialogue on TV.

Minnie Driver
    ‏Verified account @driverminnie
    May 23
    There is only one person who can fix Brexit, make you forget Farage exists , fix season 8 of GOT and make trump’s visit to the UK a distant nightmare. That person is Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Olivia Coleman could also, but that is another tweet. #escape @fleabag S2

Kumail Nanjiani
    ‏Verified account @kumailn
    May 23
    When I was 14, I’d look at girls I had crushes on & think “I’ll never be with her. Never.” It was such a deep feeling. I felt it again at the end of Fleabag. It’s amazing how you can forget parts of yourself & then great art can remind you that those pieces are still in there.

Zack Bornstein
    ‏Verified account @ZackBornstein
    May 24
    Ever watch a show that’s so good you wonder why you write at all? Fleabag is that show.

Eric McCormack
    ‏Verified account @EricMcCormack
    May 26
    Eric McCormack Retweeted Vulture
    Perfect. #Fleabag is a must.

Anna Chlumsky
    ‏Verified account @AnnaChlumsky
    May 26
    God I love @fleabag.

FYC Emmys- It's TIME JUST GIVE THESE WOMEN THEIR FIRST EMMYS- Lena Headey, Game of Thrones Sandra Oh, Killing Eve Anna Chulmsky, Veep Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Fleabag Phylicia Rashad, This is Us Michelle Williams, Fosse/Verdon Emily Watson, Chernobyl

ReplyCopy URL
    musterd
    Participant
    Topics:

^Other notable names to add to the list: Nancy Meyers, Joss Whedon, showrunners/ creators of various shows like HIMYM, ODAT.

There seems to be enough support for PWB to get the writer and actress noms; she’s consistently singled out as a genius and this is her baby + goodwill from Killing Eve. Supporting for Colman is possible; Oscar winner name recognition in a crowded but not particularly strong field helps (but I do agree Sian deserves a nom too and frankly the win – her character is amazing). It may sneak in for series.

But yes I think the noms count also depends on how much Amazon is willing to push Fleabag at the risk of jeopardising their other female-centered comedy that has swept the guilds in the past year.

Personally think this is a great opportunity to solidify themselves as a major awards player along with HBO and Netflix and get multiple series in a category (plus they seem to be lacking on the Drama front this year). Also keep PWB sweet for future work; HBO has already nabbed her next project and she’s clearly on a roll and only 33!

Anyway summer is coming and it’s such an easy binge – people new to the show also get to see the hugely satisfying emotional arc that runs through the 12 episodes over the 2 seasons. That seems to be a big factor based on reactions.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  musterd.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 6 days ago by  musterd.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Fleabag stans wishing awfully hard for something that isn’t gonna happen. It’s just six episodes. For it to get any recognition over shows that actually makes a commitment to tell a story, that aren’t over in the blink of an eye would be a true shame.

ReplyCopy URL
    Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Better to have a show be short, sweet, and perfect than to run too long.

ReplyCopy URL
    montana82
    Participant
    Topics:

Better to have a show be short, sweet, and perfect than to run too long.

Especially seeing 95% of the shows on the air these days run out of steam by season 2 anyways!

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Andrew Scott should win supporting actor.

ReplyCopy URL
    zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Kenan Thompson a realistic possibility in Supporting Actor?

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Kenan Thompson a realistic possibility in Supporting Actor?

Unfortunately

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m going to be unpopular with this opinion but I think Allison Janney needs to be dropped from lead actress.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 372 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.