Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 492 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
Rachel
Guest 2018
ginnala
  • Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve completely taken GLOW out of my predictions (along with Homecoming). I took out Alison Brie a while ago and after reading lots on here I took out Gilpin. I don’t see it getting into series with no acting, Writing or Directing noms

FYC Emmys 2019 ‘Killing Eve for Series, Jodie Comer, Sandra Oh and Fiona Shaw’ ‘Jim Parsons for The Big Bang Theory’

ReplyCopy URL
    ChargerFan
    Participant
    Topics:

I love JLD and will obviously be happy for her if she wins, but I’ll be over the moon if Pamela Adlon can pull off an upset win in Lead Actress. She is crazy good in Better Things.

ReplyCopy URL
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

If someone pulls an upset, I think it’s Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Or maybe Fleabag could even win Best Comedy. The buzz it has gained in the industry seems to be pretty high. TCA nominations were another indicator of that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

No one is dethroning JLD, especially in her final season. Her co-nominees will simply be guests.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

The buzz it has gained in the industry seems to be pretty high. TCA nominations were another indicator of that.

Killing Eve’s snub last year proves that this might not even be enough for a nomination, let alone a win.

ReplyCopy URL
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Killing Eve’s snub last year proves that this might not even be enough for a nomination, let alone a win.

That’s true. I think Veep and JLD are winning anyway.

ReplyCopy URL
    The Artist Formerly Known as Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

Sorry my reply took so long! I’ve been traveling and spending most of the day without Internet. Honestly, I’m not sure. I have Gilpin in right now, but I completely understand that that choice is HEAVILY influenced by my own personal bias, just because I’m not sure. Borstein would be an expected choice to repeat, and it would be really deserved because she’s AWESOME, but it just doesn’t seem like the kind of undeniable performance that can win twice in a row. SNL ladies will probably split votes, Hinkle doesn’t have the material, Carden will be lucky just to get nominated, Goldberg kinda lives in her male costars’ shadows, and everyone else is probably a non-factor except Chlumsky. Chlumsky and Borstein are both kind of tied in second place for me right now, and while Anna’s got the final season advantage, I hesitate to put her in first just because she didn’t have a whole ton to do this season, and she became EXTREMELY unlikeable (and not in a fun way like Louis-Dreyfus or Dowd). So I guess Gilpin? She reminds me a lot of Newton just in that they’re both co-leads in supporting who were the focus of their show’s critical acclaim in the second season. She also has most of the strong emotional beats (less so now that Brie was given heavier stuff in season two, but still, Gilpin’s the dramatic heart of the show). However, I agree that Gilpin also just doesn’t seem like a realistic winner, and while I’m personally rooting for her, I would be surprised if she actually did it. So, in summary, I have Gilpin in my first spot, partly because of stan bias and partly because my gut is telling me to, but I could see this category going literally any direction.

This actually makes a lot of sense. I really hope Gilpin wins.

ReplyCopy URL
    24fanatic
    Participant
    Topics:

I think outside of Barry, Mrs. Maisel and Veep, it really is a crapshoot as to who will be getting into Comedy Series… or which series in general is on the Emmy radar in the Comedy categories. Its definitely a battle of the old blood vs the new blood.

Looking at the eligible returning nominees vs new ones…

Returning to Comedy Series:
    Veep
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Barry
    black-ish
    GLOW
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

New contenders:
    The Good Place
    Russian Doll
    Dead to Me
    The Kominsky Method
    Fleabag
    Schitt’s Creek

There were 8 nominees last year. They could keep the returning 6 and add 2 new ones. Or drop black-ish (fading out), GLOW (zero buzz), and/or Unbreakable (series ended). I think Schitt’s Creek would just be wishful thinking, as much as it deserves a nom. The Good Place seems likely to breakthrough, but it has been passed over twice before. Not everything from Netflix will make the cut… but which will the Academy respond best to? I don’t think Fleabag has a chance to make it into Comedy Series (this year anyway). I think the buzz is too new (similar to Killing Eve last year). It has enough to garner some acting noms and/or writing… but not a Series nom (yet).

My prediction:

Veep (HBO)
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon)
    Barry (HBO)
    black-ish (ABC)
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)
    The Kominsky Method (Netflix)
    The Good Place (NBC)

P.S. I passed a billboard the other day in LA for The Other Two and I thought to myself: “Why in the world would the Emmys nominate this show when they never nominated Broad City???!” …and then immediately behind that billboard was another for Broad City proclaiming in all caps: “NEVER BEEN NOMINATED EVER!” lol

ReplyCopy URL
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think Fleabag has a chance to make it into Comedy Series (this year anyway). I think the buzz is too new (similar to Killing Eve last year). It has enough to garner some acting noms and/or writing… but not a Series nom (yet).

This was the last season of Fleabag, it’s not returning.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve gone all out with Fleabag. I’m predicting it to get nominations for Series, Lead Actress, Supporting Actress, and Supporting Actor.

If it fails, c’est la vie.

I so wanna have Christina Applegate in my predictions but I don’t want to kick Maya Rudolph out. Lead Actress comedy is the best category of this year for me, and it will be a shame when JLD inevitably wins it for the millionth time.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  sofan.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  sofan.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s only SIX episodes, sofan. SIX. And that should matter, and it should be relocated to limited series. Series don’t get any more limited than 6 episodes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

How confident is everyone with The Kominsky Method for a series nomination? I just don’t see any buzz about it.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s only SIX episodes, sofan. SIX. And that should matter, and it should be relocated to limited series. Series don’t get any more limited than 6 episodes.

I’m not stuck on episode numbers, we are at a new age of television and it has six whole episodes that preceded this season’s six episodes. Fleabag tells a great and satisfying story in 6 episodes that many network shows fail to do in 22 episodes.

Veep only has 7 episodes, should it move to Limited Series as well?

And for what it is worth, I already have The Good Place ahead of it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

I so wanna have Christina Applegate in my predictions but I don’t want to kick Maya Rudolph out.

I don’t think Rudolph is ahead of Applegate.

ReplyCopy URL
    zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

How confident is everyone with The Kominsky Method for a series nomination? I just don’t see any buzz about it.

I think it’ll resonate with Emmy voters more than it has with GoldDerby users

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 492 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.