Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 492 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
Rachel
Guest 2018
ginnala
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    nkb325
    Topics:

the critics choice awards nominate every television actress under the sun. They like nominating the underdog. And the HFPA like to nominate veterans like Debra Messing and Candace Bergen, even if their shows aren’t quite as good. I don’t think the emmys are quite as open.

but neither nominated her for the “first” season and both did for the second. There at the very least is more visibility on her, and just as often as the emmy’s surprise us with being forward thinking they surprise us with being more old fashioned than we thought. I’m not predicting her, but now that it’s been pointed out I won’t be at all surprised if she gets in

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by nkb325.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by nkb325.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    ginnala
    Topics:

but neither nominated her for the “first” season and both did for the second. There at the very least is more visibility on her, and just as often as the emmy’s surprise us with being forward thinking they surprise us with being more old fashioned than we thought. I’m not predicting her, but now that it’s been pointed out I won’t be at all surprised if she gets in

Yeah that’s what I meant. I’m not predicting Messing either but there was more support for her this year and she had a baity (and timely) episode. So maybe she is higher placed than we think, even though that’s not enough for a nomination.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    smurty11
    Topics:

Ramy Youssef has done a lot of press in the past couple weeks.
    Don’t discount a possible Comedy Lead Actor nom or Hulu pushing it harder since Handmaid’s is not eligible this season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

I definitely agree about Youssef. He gives off strong Adlon vibes.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Supporting Actress is painful. I have as the majority Borstein & Hinkle, Gilpin, Chlumsky and McKinnon in. Now that #6, will the Emmys care about TGP and Carden? Will they go full Barry and deserving Goldberg will get in? Will they lazy vote for SNL and either Jones or Bryant gets in? Or huge name Mullaly repeats (did she have any material this season)?

I might be in the minority here but I don’t think anyone from SNL deserves an acting nomination. Besides the fantastic and constantly underrated Cecily Strong. It wasn’t a strong season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

I might be in the minority here but I don’t think anyone from SNL deserves an acting nomination. Besides the fantastic and constantly underrated Cecily Strong. It wasn’t a strong season.

No you’re not. Nobody from SNL should take up supporting acting categories, period. They take away from legitimate non-variety show comedies.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Guest 2018
    Topics:

I wouldn’t say a performance that has yet to be nominated after two seasons is a safe bet. Last year had 8 nominees and she still couldn’t get in.

That travesty miscarriage of injustice is on the Academy, not Carden. Just as there were 8 comedy series nominees, but not The Good Place. Too intelligent for the Emmys?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I don’t care what anyone says. I have a huge hunch that Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s biggest competitor this year is, in fact, Pheobe Waller-Bridge and not Rachel Brosnahan. I still think JLD will take Best Actress as a farewell gift, but PWB will be a close second. People are watching Fleabag. She keeps getting praise for her performance in this show openly by different academy members. Alex Borstein is another academy member recently added to that list.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

Or huge name Mullaly repeats (did she have any material this season)?

Mullaly was great as always this year but even I, a huge fan of hers and the show, stopped predicting her. I feel like, they simply don’t care about the show anymore.

Her trying bisexuality and then coming out as a straight woman as a nod to Ellen’s coming out episode was amazing. She was all around great in that wedding episode but the competition seems too fierce for her to get in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

Ramy Youssef has done a lot of press in the past couple weeks. Don’t discount a possible Comedy Lead Actor nom or Hulu pushing it harder since Handmaid’s is not eligible this season.

I mean he would bring some excitement to Lead Actor for me but I don’t see it happening. His best bet is Strawberries getting in for Writing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    sofan
    Topics:

I don’t care what anyone says. I have a huge hunch that Julia Louis-Dreyfus’s biggest competitor this year is, in fact, Pheobe Waller-Bridge and not Rachel Brosnahan. I still think JLD will take Best Actress as a farewell gift, but PWB will be a close second. People are watching Fleabag. She keeps getting praise for her performance in this show openly by different academy members. Alex Borstein is another academy member recently added to that list.

That THR roundtable really brought things to perspective, industry people are watching this show. Hopefully, they don’t forget it when it comes to nominating it though.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

I mean, she got in last year, the competition isn’t any different imo. If SNL ladies are dropped (except McKinnon) she can get in. Though we don’t know which 2 ladies were #7 and #8 last year, although I do believe Beetz was one of them.

McKinnon should be dropped too imo… she didn’t have a great season. Emmy voters really need to get off the SNL train and start nominating more deserving actors/actresses.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 492 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.