Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 142 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Rachel
Guest 2018
ginnala
  • Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    larissasr
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that Jim Carey got nominated for a golden globes doesn’t make him stronger in such a stacked year.

If you think like that Christina Applegate should be nominated. She is an Emmy winner, golden globe nominee and Tony nominee. I have her on my predictions but I still don’t think she’s getting in. Comedy is definitely the category that I’m having more fun while predicting. I hope we get a lot of surprises this year

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Plus Getting On was HBO, HBO is HBO, it always has visibility

Tell that to The Leftovers. By the way, literally no one was talking about Getting On, at least Kidding is in the conversation for lead actor.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    Bradley Ashworth
    Participant
    Topics:

Honey, The Leftovers is fantasy and Academy doesn’t watch fantasy unless its GoT or ST. They never were into the show anyways.

To be fair to the Emmys here’s a short list of Sci-Fi/Fantasy shows nominated for Best Drama Series since 1989 (That aren’t GOT or Stranger Things):

• Westworld
    • True Blood
    • Heroes
    • The X-Files
    • Star Trek: The Next Generation
    • Beauty and the Beast
    • Lost
    • The Handmaid’s Tale (Debatable)

And this doesn’t include the shows that got Writing/Directing and/or Acting nominations such as Buffy, Battlestar Galactica, Alias

They could have a better track record but it could be worse. I’d argue they were more consistent at nominating Fantasy and Sci-fi than the Oscars (Prior to expanding the nominees).

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Except that this is a horrible track record when compared to the volume of top quality fantasty/scifi/”genre” shows.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    Bradley Ashworth
    Participant
    Topics:

I was curious to see how often 100/1 odds actually get nominated, so I went back and looked at the previous leaderboards for Emmy Nomination predictions.

Nominees at 100/1 odds, (The numbers in brackets are what position they were ranked on the leaderboard).

(I couldn’t get accurate rankings for 2016, problem with the leaderboards for that year, certain shows are listed twice and none are ranked at 100/1) So I left it blank.

A quick note, there has been at least one 100/1 nominee for supporting actress  in a comedy every year i’ve checked (Three in 2012). So if you’re gonna do any, i’d recommend someone in Supporting Actress – Comedy.

Comedy Series: Girls (Season 1) (10th)
    Lead Actress – Comedy: Edie Falco – Nurse Jackie (9th)
    Lead Actor – Comedy: Jon Cryer – Two and a Half Men (7th)
    Supporting Actress – Comedy: Kathryn Joosten – Desperate Housewives (10th);Mayim Bialik – The Big Bang Theory (13th);Merrit Wever – Nurse Jackie (15th)
    Supporting Actor – Comedy: Bill Hader – Saturday Night Live (17th)

Lead Actress – Comedy: Laura Dern – Enlightened (7th)

Supporting Actress – Comedy: Anna Chlumsky – Veep (10th); Jane Lynch – Glee (19th)
    Supporting Actor – Comedy: Tony Hale – Veep (16th)

Comedy Series: Silicon Valley (9th)
    Lead Actress – Comedy: Melissa McCarthy – Mike & Molly (9th)
    Supporting Actress – Comedy: Kate McKinnon – Saturday Night Live (12th)
    Supporting Actor – Comedy: Fred Armisen – Portlandia (26th)

Comedy Series: Parks and Recreation (10th)
    Supporting Actress – Comedy: Gaby Hoffman – Transparent (17th);Niecy Nash – Getting On (Unlisted)
    Supporting Actor – Comedy: Adam Driver – Girls (14th)
    Keegan-Michael Key (46th)

Lead Actress – Comedy: Jane Fonda – Grace and Frankie (9th) 95/1
    Lead Actor – Comedy: Zach Galifianakis – Baskets (16th)
    Supporting Actress – Comedy: Kathryn Hahn – Transparent (23rd);Vanessa Byer – Saturday Night Live (Unlisted)

Lead Actress – Comedy: Issa Rae – Insecure (10th)
    Supporting Actress – Comedy: Aidy Byrant – Saturday Night Live (10th)
    Supporting Actor – Comedy: Kenan Thompson – Saturday Night Live (13th)

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

So if you’re gonna do any, i’d recommend someone in Supporting Actress

I’m certain Mullally or Metcalf (if not both) is getting nominated.

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

If voters vote for TBBT in Lead Actor, Directing and Guest Actress. Could Mayim Bialik get a surprise nod. There’s pretty much  always a surprise nominee in this category with 100/1 Odds so I think she has a good shot.

Globes FYC- Fleabag, Phoebe Waller Bridge, Jodie Comer, Dame Emma Thompson, The Crown

SAG FYC- The Crown, Olivia Colman, Fleabag, PWB

Critics Choice- Schitts Creek, Fleabag, Killing Eve, Bodyguard

BAFTA- Fleabag, Killing Eve

Oscars FYC ‘Little Women’ ‘Downton Abbey’ ‘Maggie Smith’

AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

The 100/1 pattern in supporting actress bodes well for Sarah Goldberg

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Parsons is a (fairly unlikely) possibility because his category is weak and it’ll get directing because it literally has to because of the rules. Bialik is in one of the most competitive categories this year, there is not a chance

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Agreed…The only category on the comedy side that isn’t competitive is Best Actor. I think Bill Hader, Ted Danson, and Michael Douglas are the only for sure bets…but I wonder if even Douglas is still going to get in, to be honest. Will see if the Academy takes a liking to The Kominsky Method.

Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

Unlike the Drama and Limited Series races Comedy is where all the action and suspense are. Mrs. Maisel, Barry and Veep have very strong arguments to win series but i wouldn’t be surprise if something like GLOW or Russian Doll or even The Good Place end with a major upset. I can’t imagen HBO winning Drama Series, Limited Series, TV Movie, Variety Series, etc. That’s why I’m predicting Mrs Maisel to repeat in Comedy Series though my personal favorites are Barry and GLOW.

The Oscar needs to get rid of the preferential ballot so it can name a deserving movie as Best Picture again.

Anonymous
    Topics:
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.