Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 142 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
replies
views
users
Rachel
Guest 2018
ginnala
  • zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

Honeys, The Bore Place and The Boring Method are not getting series nominations.

What will be then? I think The Good Place is pretty secure at least

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Honeys, The Bore Place and The Boring Method are not getting series nominations.

I’ve had my doubts about the Kominsky Method as well, but the show is about a Hollywood acting coach. People in the industry love to pat themselves on the back. Think about Barry, Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, LaLa Land. While all great, they each received a beyond crazy amount of love from the Academy. So I put it back in my predictions.

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Note the trend in the 100/1 list of consistently under-predicting variety/sketch series performers…

Leslie Jones has been nominated the last two years and yet has 100/1 odds. Watch for her to repeat.

Roney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

Ugh I actually love Leslie Jones’ real life persona, such a breath of fresh air in Holywood. Her acting on the other hand…

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Note the trend in the 100/1 list of consistently under-predicting variety/sketch series performers…

Leslie Jones has been nominated the last two years and yet has 100/1 odds. Watch for her to repeat.

I find it bizarre how low she is in the odds. I’m not going to predict her but still. I think the odds are overestimating Emmy voters.

Bradley Ashworth
    Participant
    Topics:

I find it bizarre how low she is in the odds. I’m not going to predict her but still. I think the odds are overestimating Emmy voters.

Especially when the last two years we’ve seen 3 SNL cast members nominated for Best Supporting Actress. Yet, now we’re hoping they only go back to 1. I’ve only predicted McKinnon but it is admittedly wishful thinking.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Especially when the last two years we’ve seen 3 SNL cast members nominated for Best Supporting Actress. Yet, now we’re hoping they only go back to 1. I’ve only predicted McKinnon but it is admittedly wishful thinking.

The supporting categories are cheapened when there is an avalanche of SNL’ers in them.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Ugh I actually love Leslie Jones’ real life persona, such a breath of fresh air in Holywood. Her acting on the other hand…

Agreed. She should have stayed on  SNL as a writer instead of as a performer. She’s not Cecily Strong (whom the academy loves to snub). I do love her though. Her Game of Thrones reactions with Seth Meyers are hilarious.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

How many nominations would Saturday Night Live have gotten last year if Veep had not skipped?  Supporting actor had seven nominees last year and if we assume that Tony Hale and Matt Walsh would have been in the top six, then three of the nominees would have been pushed out because ties outside the top six are irrelevant.  Supporting actress had eight nominees last year and if we assume that Anna Chlumsky would have been in the top six, then three of her category’s nominees also would have been pushed out.

If Veep had been in contention last year, I suspect that the supporting actor nominees would have been Hale, Walsh, Henry Winkler, Tony Shalhoub, Brian Tyree Henry and somebody else.  So if you are predicting Kenan Thompson now, you kind of might be predicting him to be in the top six for the first time and I do not see how anyone from SNL could be making gains from last year, as we get farther away from satirizing the 2016 election.

On the other hand, I am not sure that Matt Walsh has inertia anymore because he was not nominated last year.  Plus we have seen final seasons be something of a reckoning lately for people who cruised to too many easy nominations and I feel like Veep kind of lacked buzz this year, not to mention that I am predicting the whitest Emmys ever, so I really want to slot Kenan Thompson back in.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Veep kind of lacked buzz this year, not to mention that I am predicting the whitest Emmys ever, so I really want to slot Kenan Thompson back in.

I agree with this. I originally only predicted Tony Hale getting in for supporting actor just because I made room for Stephen Root. Barry had so much buzz this year. I also agree that we should take diversity into account. I’m noticing a lot of predictions are very, very white and the Emmy voters just don’t go that route.

dosmax
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Veep kind of lacked buzz this year, not to mention that I am predicting the whitest Emmys ever, so I really want to slot Kenan Thompson back in.

Is this where someone mentions that Tituss Burgess has never missed for UKS? With the poor showing for UKS last year, he definitely could have been one of the ones that would have been pushed out, but he’s never missed before, so I think he’s got more of a chance than Kenan. UKS seemed to have a warmer reception this year compared to last as well. Plus the finale bump. The finale of Tina Fey’s last series got the scene stealing supporting role nominated after a miss, and Tituss hasn’t missed yet.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Is this where someone mentions that Tituss Burgess has never missed for UKS? With the poor showing for UKS last year, he definitely could have been one of the ones that would have been pushed out, but he’s never missed before, so I think he’s got more of a chance than Kenan. UKS seemed to have a warmer reception this year compared to last as well. Plus the finale bump. The finale of Tina Fey’s last series got the scene stealing supporting role nominated after a miss, and Tituss hasn’t missed yet.

Tituss is returning. I don’t think there’s enough passion for him to receive farewell Emmy but he’s returning.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: 21 nominations (+7 last year)
    Series, Writing, Writing, Directing, Directing, Lead Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actress, Guest Actor, Guest Actress, Casting, Cinematography, Costumes, Editing, Editing, Hair, Makeup, Music Supervision, Production Design, Sound Mixing

Barry: 14 nominations (+1 last year)
    Series, Writing, Directing, Lead Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Casting, Cinematography, Editing, Editing, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, Stunts

Veep: 14 nominations (−3 last time)
    Series, Writing, Directing, Directing, Lead Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Guest Actor, Casting, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Sound Mixing

GLOW: 10 nominations (= last year)
    Series, Lead Actress, Supporting Actress, Casting, Cinematography, Costumes, Hair, Makeup, Production Design, Stunts

The Good Place: 7 nominations (+5 last year)
    Series, Lead Actor, Guest Actress, Interactive Media, Production Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing

The Big Bang Theory: 6 nominations (+3 last year)
    Directing, Guest Actress, Cinematography, Editing, Production Design, Technical Direction

Russian Doll: 6 nominations (— last year)
    Series, Lead Actress, Casting, Music Supervision, Sound Editing, Stunts

Broad City: 4 nominations (+3 last year)
    Writing, Short Actress, Short Actress, Shorts

The Kominsky Method: 4 nominations (— last year)
    Series, Lead Actor, Supporting Actor, Costumes

Will & Grace: 3 nominations (−2 last year)
    Guest Actress, Cinematography, Editing

Fleabag: 2 nominations (+2 last time)
    Writing, Lead Actress

Brooklyn Nine-Nine: 2 nominations (= last year)
    Guest Actor, Stunts

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia: 1 nomination (+1 last year)
    Choreography

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend: 1 nomination (+1 last year)
    Title Theme

Kidding: 1 nominations (— last year)
    Lead Actor

After Life: 1 nomination (— last year)
    Lead Actor

Black Monday: 1 nomination (— last year)
    Cinematography

The Other Two: 1 nomination (— last year)
    Song

Better Things: 1 nomination (= last year)
    Lead Actress

The Ranch: 1 nomination (= last year)
    Cinematography

One Day at a Time: 1 nomination (= last year)
    Editing

American Vandal: 1 nomination (= last year)
    Motion Design

Ballers: 1 nomination (= last year)
    Sound Editing

Modern Family: 1 nomination (= last year)
    Sound Mixing

Cobra Kai: 1 nomination (= last year)
    Stunts

Insecure: 1 nomination (−1 last year)
    Cinematography

Grace and Frankie: 1 nomination (−1 last year)
    Costumes

The Conners: 1 nomination (−1 last year)
    Editing

Mom: 1 nomination (−1 last year)
    Editing

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Is Mrs Maisel eligible for Choreography for the first Catskills episode?

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Yes, I decided that they would not award/nominate it.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.