Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 142 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Rachel
Guest 2018
ginnala
  • Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: 21 nominations (+7 last year)
    Series, Writing, Writing, Directing, Directing, Lead Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Supporting Actress, Guest Actor, Guest Actress, Casting, Cinematography, Costumes, Editing, Editing, Hair, Makeup, Music Supervision, Production Design, Sound Mixing

The Good Place: 7 nominations (+5 last year)
    Series, Lead Actor, Guest Actress, Interactive Media, Production Design, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing

God help us…this is why we can’t have nice things and why there needs to be new blood in choosing substance over style.

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Penultimate Predictions

SERIES
    Barry
    Better Things
    The Good Place
    The Kominsky Method
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Russian Doll
    Veep

ACTOR
    Anthony Anderson
    Sacha Baron Cohen
    Ted Danson
    Michael Douglas
    Ricky Gervais
    Bill Hader

ACTRESS
    Pamela Adlon
    Rachel Brosnahan
    Julia Louis-Dreyfus
    Natasha Lyonne
    Issa Rae
    Lily Tomlin

SUPPORTING ACTOR
    Alan Arkin
    Tony Hale
    Stephen Root
    Tony Shalhoub
    Matt Walsh
    Henry Winkler

SUPPORTING ACTRESS
    Alex Borstein
    D’Arcy Carden
    Anna Chlumsky
    Sarah Goldberg
    Marin Hinkle
    Kate McKinnon

GUEST ACTOR
    Matthew Broderick
    Matt Damon
    Peter MacNicol
    Lin Manuel Miranda
    John Mulaney
    Adam Scott

GUEST ACTRESS
    Rachel Brosnahan
    Regina King
    Jane Lynch
    Sandra Oh
    Maya Rudolph
    Wanda Sykes

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

Current series prediction:

1) Veep
    2) The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    3) Barry
    4) The Good Place
    5) Fleabag
    6) Russian Doll
    7) The Kominsky Method
    8) Glow
    9) Black-ish
    10) Better Things

Taking Glow out broke my heart but I don’t think there is any room for it

Banned for making a fake movie poster

Riley Chow
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I wanted to predict The Kominsky Method and Dead to Me liberally because the industry loves shows about itself and Adam McKay, but I could not find outlets. I would have liked to put Chuck Lorre into my directing predictions, but if even Aziz Ansari could get squeezed out by the repeated checking off of the top contenders, then I do not see why he would fare better. The obvious outlets are Danny DeVito and Ann-Margret, but I do not think that they have enough name recognition with the thousands of new voters that have been admitted in the last few years. Grace and Frankie previously sneaked into production design and both of these new Netflix comedies seem like they would be in the mix there, but this year is competitive enough that I had to snub Barry there.

Anthony 🐜
    Participant
    Topics:

Alec Baldwin, Saturday Night Live.

And yes….I will be enjoying the rants on how he “doesn’t deserve the nomination“….and “why are Emmy voters so obsessed with SNL“?.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Taking Glow out broke my heart but I don’t think there is any room for it

I love you and I hope that you get 100% correct on every one of your predictions forever, but oh god I really hope you’re wrong on this one.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Barry defeating the sophomore slump and having a super hyped second season is something to think about. I’ve seen all of the eligible comedies and Barry just stands out. 🙂

• This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Rachel.
    • This reply was modified 5 months ago by  Rachel.
    EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

I love you and I hope that you get 100% correct on every one of your predictions forever, but oh god I really hope you’re wrong on this one.

Oh I hope I’m wrong too. I honestly might take out The Kominsky Method to put Glow back in just because looking at my current prediction without Glow hurts too much.

Barry defeating the sophomore slump and having a super hyped second season is something to think about. I’ve seen all of the eligible comedies and Barry just stands out. 🙂

Veep is winning because Barry will split the non-Veep votes with The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, which also defeated the sophomore slump with a second season that swept the guilds like no other comedies ever did

Banned for making a fake movie poster

Mickmack
    Participant
    Topics:

Cant Barry win because Veep splits votes with Mrs Maisel?

For Your Consideration – Dead To Me!

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Barry was a disaster, especially narrative-wise. I mean the thought of POC voting in the Academy voting for a show where the lead character murders the most prominent person of color in the first season, then in the second season goes on a killing spree of mainly Latinx characters… Not to mention the inherently sexist nature of the show as a whole. The think-pieces write themselves.

That being said, Sarah Goldberg deserves a nomination more than any other cast member, including last year’s Emmy winners.

Back to the series race, it is between Veep and Mrs. Maisel and depending on the nomination count we’ll see which one seems to be the most likely candidate.

Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

Veep is not Game of Thrones…. Just remember the audience reaction (in the Theater) when Veep won the last time around. I think this is a three way race between Mrs Maisel, Barry and Veep….Oh and GLOW isn’t going anywhere.

The Oscar needs to get rid of the preferential ballot so it can name a deserving movie as Best Picture again.

Bradley Ashworth
    Participant
    Topics:

Barry was a disaster, especially narrative-wise. I mean the thought of POC voting in the Academy voting for a show where the lead character murders the most prominent person of color in the first season, then in the second season goes on a killing spree of mainly Latinx characters… Not to mention the inherently sexist nature of the show as a whole. The think-pieces write themselves. That being said, Sarah Goldberg deserves a nomination more than any other cast member, including last year’s Emmy winners. Back to the series race, it is between Veep and Mrs. Maisel and depending on the nomination count we’ll see which one seems to be the most likely candidate.

Just because you have a problem with the show, doesn’t mean Barry isn’t in the race. Barry absolutely has the buzz and it’s a terrific show worthy of all the nominations it will get. It’s received critical acclaim, and your criticisms are the first i’ve seen of this kind.

Also, the show isn’t sexist, Barry walks through life as an actor obliviously, especially in the audition episode, where he effortlessly gets an audition whereas others have worked years to get to this point. Is it because he’s a white male? Possibly, or is it because he got lucky in the right place at the right time.

Try not to let your personal opinions affect your view on what’s actually in the Emmy race. Unless Barry shockingly underperforms in nominations, it’s absolutely in the race.

ginnala
    Spectator
    Topics:

1) Veep
    2) TMMM
    3) Barry
    4) Fleabag
    5) The Kominsky Method
    6) Russian Doll
    7) The Good Place

Possibilites : Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Glow, Blackish, Better Things.

I think I’m only confident about my first 4.

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Just because you have a problem with the show, doesn’t mean Barry isn’t in the race. Barry absolutely has the buzz and it’s a terrific show worthy of all the nominations it will get. It’s received critical acclaim, and your criticisms are the first i’ve seen of this kind.

So I shouldn’t let my personal opinion with the show affect my view on the show and its chances but you get to do that? K.

Also, the show isn’t sexist

It is.

Unless Barry shockingly underperforms in nominations, it’s absolutely in the race.

It is not winning series.

Bradley Ashworth
    Participant
    Topics:

So I shouldn’t let my personal opinion with the show affect my view on the show and its chances but you get to do that? K.

It’s in the race to win Comedy Series, saying it isn’t because you’re not a fan, isn’t objective. It’s fine if you don’t like it. But it’s absolutely in the race.

Also, how is this show sexist?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.