Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 142 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
7 days ago
replies
views
users
Rachel
Guest 2018
ginnala
  • EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Do all of you acting as if Barry is the most hyped/buzzed season this year realize that The Marvelous Mrs Maisel got 19 guild nominations and only lost directing and cinematography? Maisel has A LOT more support than Barry.

Veep is winning anyways though.

Formerly Ospencer. I'm still a huge fan of Octavia but my old username felt too specific.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

Barry has more cool factor than Maisel (but Atlanta will tell you that doesn’t matter). Also, Barry’s guild run was for its first season but its second catapulted it into more buzz and acclaim. Maisel will get more nominations and is still probably the runner-up, but I would say Barry and Fleabag are the trendy, buzzy, talk-of-the-town shows right now.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Barry was a disaster, especially narrative-wise. I mean the thought of POC voting in the Academy voting for a show where the lead character murders the most prominent person of color in the first season, then in the second season goes on a killing spree of mainly Latinx characters… Not to mention the inherently sexist nature of the show as a whole. The think-pieces write themselves. That being said, Sarah Goldberg deserves a nomination more than any other cast member, including last year’s Emmy winners. Back to the series race, it is between Veep and Mrs. Maisel and depending on the nomination count we’ll see which one seems to be the most likely candidate.

How is the show sexist? They are purposely trying to show the sexism that actresses come across within Hollywood so you saying that doesn’t make ANY sense. And Barry is DEFINITELY in the race. People like the show but obviously, you don’t. It has some of the best writing and characters on TV right now. Not one character is one dimensional. Also, Bill Hader and Alec Berg hire female writers and directors for the show. Just throwing that out there.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  Rachel.
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

I am still hoping for Schitt’s Creek to pull through in nominations. I don’t think that it will happen, but I am hoping and it is deserving.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

The sexism remark toward Barry still bugs me… It is not sexist at all. Not in the slightest. I love the fact that they show what goes on behind the scenes in Hollywood and how women are treated. I’ve worked in the industry for years and it is so blatantly sexist. That was the writers’ point; to expose it. Sally turns down a great part for a pilot because it was super sexist and she refused to be a part of it. Sally even has a #MeToo moment with that slimy agent in Season 1. Sally and Moss were both written as very strong female characters. I think Hader and Berg did a great job with inclusion.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Can’t do anything about Veep, Barry or Maisel, but FFS, send a message to those shows that produce fewer than 10 episodes. You’re not welcome in comedy or drama series. People don’t want to see blink, and you’ll miss it TV. Ship ’em to limited series next year or create something like Short Form Series Presentation.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

lmao it rly takes some imagination to create a flaw in every comedy not called The Good Place

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Can’t do anything about Veep, Barry or Maisel, but FFS, send a message to those shows that produce fewer than 10 episodes. You’re not welcome in comedy or drama series. People don’t want to see blink, and you’ll miss it TV. Ship ’em to limited series next year or create something like Short Form Series Presentation.

Maisel season two has ten episodes averaging fifty minutes (around eight and a half hours total). The Good Place season three has thirteen twenty-two-minute episodes (just over four and a half hours total). If there was a short form category, it’d be pretty clear which show belonged there more.

musterd
    Participant
    Topics:

And Fleabag season 2’s total run time is 3 hours. Maybe the argument for shorter seasons is because some shows feel like they ages to tell a story.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Can’t do anything about Veep, Barry or Maisel

What does this mean?

EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

No one cares but I’m taking The Kominski Method and Russian Doll out and putting Glow and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt back in.

Formerly Ospencer. I'm still a huge fan of Octavia but my old username felt too specific.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d be careful taking out The Kominsky Method…remember how Hollywood likes to pat itself on the back.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

What does this mean?

They’re ironclad ‘in’. Nothing more or less.

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Barry was a disaster, especially narrative-wise. I mean the thought of POC voting in the Academy voting for a show where the lead character murders the most prominent person of color in the first season, then in the second season goes on a killing spree of mainly Latinx characters… Not to mention the inherently sexist nature of the show as a whole. The think-pieces write themselves.

No one but you thinks this way. At least, I hope not.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Even Awards Daily has come around on Barry:
    http://www.awardsdaily.com/2019/07/12/awards-daily-tvs-2019-comedy-emmy-predictions/

“I mean, let’s put aside that the show is really a 30-minute drama with comic undertones. In fact, the only truly comic performance in the series falls to Anthony Carrigan’s Hank…”

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.