Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 142 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
replies
views
users
Rachel
Guest 2018
ginnala
  • Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, the internet is a magical place if you search for about a minute and a half I’m sure you’d come across more people complaining about Barry on various issues.

Excuse me…I’m not a Barry stan I just think it’s a great show. I think a lot of the shows in my predictions are absolutely great. You just made some inaccurate accusations against the show which I felt I needed to defend (ie it being sexist). You are allowed to dislike the show but don’t make up invalid points just to prove your disfavor towards it is reasonable.

Bridgian
    Participant
    Topics:

Is it possible Russian Doll performs similar to how Barry did with nominations last year? Last year, before nominations, Barry was around 7 or 8 in the prediction center, like Russian Doll is right not. But after nominations, it shot up with Maisel and Atlanta as one of the possible winners, and very well could’ve been in second place.

This year, Russian Doll has a very similar narrative to Barry, and did even better than Barry at TCA with a program nomination. Is it possible that it joins Barry, Veep, and Maisel as one of the series to get all of the nominations needed to win? And if so, let’s say it gets a directing nomination, at whose expense would that be?

The Artist Formerly Known as Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

My final predictions, come hell or high water. Eventual winners are listed first.

COMEDY SERIES

Veep (HBO)
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Amazon Prime)
    Barry (HBO)
    The Good Place (NBC)
    Fleabag (Amazon Prime)
    GLOW (Netflix)
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (Netflix)

COMEDY ACTRESS

Veep: Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Selina Meyer
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Rachel Brosnahan as Miriam “Midge” Maisel
    Fleabag: Phoebe Waller-Bridge as Fleabag
    GLOW: Alison Brie as Ruth “Zoya the Destroya” Wilder
    Grace and Frankie: Lily Tomlin as Frankie Bergstein
    Russian Doll: Natasha Lyonne as Nadia

COMEDY ACTOR

Barry: Bill Hader as Barry Berkman/Barry Block
    The Good Place: Ted Danson as Michael
    The Kominsky Method: Michael Douglas as Sandy Kominsky
    Kidding: Jim Carrey as Jeff Pickles
    The Big Bang Theory: Jim Parsons as Dr. Sheldon Cooper
    Ramy: Ramy Youssef as Ramy Hassan

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS 

GLOW: Betty Gilpin as Debbie “Liberty Belle” Eagan
    Veep: Anna Chlumsky as Amy Brookheime
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Alex Borstein as Susie Meyerson
    Saturday Night Live: Kate McKinnon as Various Characters
    Fleabag: Olivia Colman as Godmother
    Fleabag: Sian Clifford as Claire
    The Good Place: D’Arcy Carden as Janet
    Saturday Night Live: Aidy Bryant as Various Characters

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR 

The Kominsky Method: Alan Arkin as Norman Newlander
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel: Tony Shalhoub as Abe Weissman
    Veep: Tony Hale as Gary Walsh
    Barry: Henry Winkler as Gene Cousineau
    Barry: Anthony Carrigan as NOHO Hank
    Barry: Stephen Root as Morton Fuches
    Saturday Night Live: Kenan Thompson as Various Characters

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Russian Doll = drama with comedic elements. And just 8 episodes. No way in hell does its stans hope to carry it across the finish line. Very limited appeal.

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

This “genre fraud” and fewer than 10 episodes thing is the definition of reaching.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

And if so, let’s say it gets a directing nomination, at whose expense would that be?

Hard to say because that category seems pretty solid at 2 Barry 2 Maisel + Veep + BBT, but I guess I’d wager that the one that could fall out would be the second Maisel episode.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Awards Daily seems to be bullish on Blackish. 4 of 6 of their critics say it’s a lock for series, Andesron and Ellis-Ross. A reminder, then:

Blackish (S5): 91% Rotten Tomatoes, 71 Metacritic.
    The Good Place (S3): 100% RT, 96 Metacritic for S3

The better network comedy is pretty obvi from those numbers.

Participant
    Topics:

Russian Doll = drama with comedic elements. And just 8 episodes. No way in hell does its stans hope to carry it across the finish line. Very limited appeal.

Oh my god, you are a sad little person. Shows that aren’t The Good Place are allowed to get nominated. Shows besides The Good Place are allowed to be high quality. If you weren’t so funny I’d put you on ignore.

For your sake, I hope TGP, a show I like a lot and want to see win, never even gets close to the Emmys. I hope it gets cancelled and sinks into irrelevancy, and in 30 years people will play trivia games and they’ll have to answer a question about what the most shitty failed series ever is, and the answer, for $5000, will be The Motherfucking Good Place.

So let’s imagine something. A show has beaten Veep to the Series prize. Which show won, and why?

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

This “genre fraud” and fewer than 10 episodes thing is the definition of reaching.

It is not a reach. It EXISTS. It is an insult to actual comedies that are going to get kicked to the curb Tuesday. And it’s regrettable that not enough is being said about this. There’s category fraud, and now genre fraud. That’s why Netflix switched Sex Education to a *drama* when it has more comedy than a Dead to Me or Russian Doll.

There’s an easy solution: Short Form Series Presentation. Have eight nominees split between comedy and drama, 6-9 episodes. Let those with 10 or more eps be. It’s a win-win.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Oh my god, you are a sad little person. Shows that aren’t The Good Place are allowed to get nominated. Shows besides The Good Place are allowed to be high quality. If you weren’t so funny I’d put you on ignore.

For your sake, I hope TGP, a show I like a lot and want to see win, never even gets close to the Emmys. I hope it gets cancelled and sinks into irrelevancy, and in 30 years people will play trivia games and they’ll have to answer a question about what the most shirtty failed series ever is, and the answer, for $5000, will be The Motherforking Good Place.

So let’s imagine something. A show has beaten Veep to the Series prize. Which show won, and why?

It will have its final season month after next. You’re late to the conversation, I gather. This isn’t about the Good Place anymore. It’s about blink and you miss it TV. Like I said before, six episodes isn’t a season. It is a hiccup.

Participant
    Topics:

It will have its final season month after next. You’re late to the conversation, I gather. This isn’t about the Good Place anymore. It’s about blink and you miss it TV. Like I said before, six episodes isn’t a season. It is a hiccup.

You’ll have to forgive me for thinking you make everything about TGP. It’s never happened before.

That travesty miscarriage of injustice is on the Academy, not Carden. Just as there were 8 comedy series nominees, but not The Good Place. Too intelligent for the Emmys?

You’re the Worst makes the cut and Jeremy Bearimy doesn’t. Wow.

Drop off Colman, Clifford and Jones, add Jameela Jamil and you’ve got an airtight good BSAC category. Likewise, adios to PWB, Lyonne, Tomlin and Bryant and replace with KB, Helene Yorke and Constance Wu. You can make the case for just SIX nominees in each category. ?; should Sex Education have changed its placement from comedy to drama?

Tyler, that’s why I propose the cutoff at 10 episodes. Any show can still go the Good Place route (14 epis next season) and not go the full 22/23/24. 10 at least gives broadcast network shows the OPTION of reducing their series orders. But once TGP is gone, 2021 will be the end of big-four participation at the Emmys in the big ticket comedy and drama categories, I fear. Six episodes is just. too. short. It’s one thing if the 6 episode route is imposed on a show, like it was for Canada’s best imported show from 2012-16, Continuum, thanks to Shaw Cable’s decision to end the series. Fans fought like here for 6 months to get a full season, and only got 6 to wrap it up. It’s quite the other when the decision to go 6 is voluntary. And if you have Short Form Series, then you open the prospect of having comedies and dramas compete against each other. Like the Saturn Awards when they used to have Best Presentation (< than 10 episodes), which they will phase out with this year’s awards on September 13.

The style/substance debate is just with the champion of style, sugar and fluff (Maisel) vs. the rock-hard substance and quality of The Good Place. It would be a crime against the laws of nature if Fleabag gets even one nomination. If you’ve got just 6 episodes to tell your tale, you must not have a lot to tell.

Awards Daily seems to be bullish on Blackish. 4 of 6 of their critics say it’s a lock for series, Andesron and Ellis-Ross. A reminder, then: Blackish (S5): 91% Rotten Tomatoes, 71 Metacritic. The Good Place (S3): 100% RT, 96 Metacritic for S3 The better network comedy is pretty obvi from those numbers.

Comedy Actor is a mess

kellis
    Spectator
    Topics:

It is not a reach. It EXISTS. It is an insult to actual comedies that are going to get kicked to the curb Tuesday. And it’s regrettable that not enough is being said about this. There’s category fraud, and now genre fraud. That’s why Netflix switched Sex Education to a *drama* when it has more comedy than a Dead to Me or Russian Doll. There’s an easy solution: Short Form Series Presentation. Have eight nominees split between comedy and drama, 6-9 episodes. Let those with 10 or more eps be. It’s a win-win.

So when Hulu pushes Veronica Mars in limited next year, you’re going to complain about it being a fraud with 8 episodes? It is a reach because you’re saying that a multitude of comedies can’t be considered as such on the basis that they have less than 10 episodes and because some are comedy-dramas/dramedies. I don’t know if it’s because I know mostly college students, work for a bunch of lawyers who don’t have that much spare time or what, but most people I know prefer shorter shows (and yes, less than 10 episodes).

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Hard to say because that category seems pretty solid at 2 Barry 2 Maisel + Veep + BBT, but I guess I’d wager that the one that could fall out would be the second Maisel episode.

People are underestimating Veep in directing. I think it’s definitely getting that second nomination. The show won DGA for its last three eligible seasons and has gotten triple nominations at the Emmys for its last two seasons (the most likely reason it didn’t win at the Emmys). It’s also worth noting that 5 different directors of the show have been recognised from 7 nominations at the Emmys and 4 at DGA. That’s quite indicative of Veep’s strength here.

EsOS
    Spectator
    Topics:

People are underestimating Veep in directing. I think it’s definitely getting that second nomination for directing. The show won DGA for its last three eligible seasons and has gotten triple nominations at the Emmys for its last two seasons (the most likely reason it didn’t win at the Emmys). It’s also worth noting that 5 different directors of the show have been recognised from 7 nominations at the Emmys and 4 different people at the DGA.

It will be very interesting to see which of the 3 frontrunner only gets one directing nominee. I think Barry is safe to get 2 since it only submitted 2 episodes while Maisel and Veep submitted 3. I say whatever gets only 1 nomination takes the directing Emmy (no vote split), but might not have the support to take series.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

Bridgian
    Participant
    Topics:

How hilarious would it be if they all got 1 nomination and Russian Doll was the one with two

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.