Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 142 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Rachel
Guest 2018
ginnala
  • Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

It will be very interesting to see which of the 3 frontrunner only gets one directing nominee. I think Barry is safe to get 2 since it only submitted 2 episodes while Maisel and Veep submitted 3. I say whatever gets only 1 nomination takes the directing Emmy (no vote split), but might not have the support to take series.

Veep also submitted only two episodes.

EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Veep also only submitted two episodes actually.

You’re right. Well I guess Maisel might be the vulnerable one, but All Alone and Welcome to The Catskills are clearly better submissions than the Punishment Room and I think the Academy will see that. Anything can happen really.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Didn’t Maisel submit 2 last year and only get one nominated? Same thing could happen again

zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

Could directing be Veep 2x, Barry 2x, Maisel 2x????

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

Could directing be Veep 2x, Barry 2x, Maisel 2x????

It can’t, one is guaranteed to be a multi-cam show, likely Big Bang Theory and once that ends this year will probably One Day at a Time.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

It is not a reach. It EXISTS. It is an insult to actual comedies that are going to get kicked to the curb Tuesday. And it’s regrettable that not enough is being said about this. There’s category fraud, and now genre fraud. That’s why Netflix switched Sex Education to a *drama* when it has more comedy than a Dead to Me or Russian Doll. There’s an easy solution: Short Form Series Presentation. Have eight nominees split between comedy and drama, 6-9 episodes. Let those with 10 or more eps be. It’s a win-win.

Just because it’s not YOUR definition of comedy, doesn’t make it not a comedy. You are very biased with your type of humor. I realize some shows are stretching when it comes to the comedy/drama border but the Academy does take notice (OITNB) and will change it accordingly. And the episode thing is also ridiculous. It’s only in America when they want like 20 episodes of a show per season. In the UK it’s totally normal to have less than 10 episodes.

zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

It can’t, one is guaranteed to be a multi-cam show, likely Big Bang Theory and once that ends this year will probably One Day at a Time.

Right, I forgot about that

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Awards Daily seems to be bullish on Blackish. 4 of 6 of their critics say it’s a lock for series, Andesron and Ellis-Ross. A reminder, then:

Blackish (S5): 91% Rotten Tomatoes, 71 Metacritic.
    The Good Place (S3): 100% RT, 96 Metacritic for S3

The better network comedy is pretty obvi from those numbers.

Nobody cares about RT or metacritic scores, especially not in a year in which Ozark and its 50s metascore is basically a lock for a nomination.

Stop annoying us with those numbers.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Didn’t Maisel submit 2 last year and only get one nominated? Same thing could happen again

They did not submit Daniel Palladino at the Emmys last year, but did at DGA and he was nominated there. Barry submitted Alec Berg at both the Emmys and DGA, failing to get him nominated. Barry seems like it could not be hotter though, so we are in for what could be a telling snub. I have Berg missing because “ronny/lily” was such a singular achievement that I think that people will feel that voting for it will be sufficient to support Barry. The Palladinos are harder to distinguish from each other, especially with Daniel having the flashier episode title to compensate for being less of a name-check himself. Veep seems to have much less heat, but its track record is unparalleled. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel has lost DGA both seasons, but Veep has won it for its last three. And it was triple-nominated for all of its submissions for its last two seasons at the Emmys. Even if it has lost heat, it started so high.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

They did not submit Daniel Palladino at the Emmys last year, but did at DGA and he was nominated there.

Did I mix this up with the Handmaid’s tale not getting a 2nd directing submission nominated? I know there was some big contender last year that submitted twice in either directing or maybe writing that only managed to get one of its submissions nominated.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Both The Handmaid’s Tale (Mike Barker) and The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Scott Ellis) had a second director on the ballot who was snubbed.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Okay, so Maisel did miss one, it just wasn’t Daniel Palladino. Why you trying to confuse me?

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Let’s look at Lead Actress

Last Years Nominees:

• Rachel Brosnahan WINNER
    • Lily Tomlin
    • Allison Janney
    • Issa Rae
    • Tracee Ellis Ross
    • Pamela Adlon

Issa Rae and Tracee Ellis Ross are defo not happening, Dreyfus is taking one of them places, Lyonne is most likely taking one of their places. Either Tomlin or Janney will miss (Waller Bridge will take space), that leaves 6 nominees, bearing in mind they will probably be 7 leaving the last spot between Applegate, Brie, Bell and Kemper.

FYC Golden Globes- Fleabag, The Crown, Olivia Colman, Jennifer Aniston

FYC Oscars- Maggie Smith, Charlize Theron, Brad Pitt, Adam Driver

FYC Emmys- Schitts Creek, The Crown, Years and Years

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 142 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Comedy Predictions (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.