Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions

2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 465 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +35 hidden )
replies
views
users
Riley
gabarnes43
ospencer
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Predict the comedy categories in the 2019 Emmy Awards predictions center and discuss in this thread.

ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

Early predictions, Veep wins series, actress and writing. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel wins both supporting categories and directing. The Kominski Method wins actor.

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve been to the future and here are the results:

Best Series: Veep

Best Actress:

Best Supporting Actress:

Best Supporting Actor:

They discontinued Lead Actor because it was so boring. You’re welcome.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Series: Veep
    Leading Actress: Julia Louis-Dreyfus – Veep
    Leading Actor: Ted Danson – The Good Place
    Supporting Actress: Betty Gilpin – GLOW
    Supporting Actor: Tony Shalhoub – The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Writing: Veep
    Directing: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

I am wondering if Catastrophe can manage to get back into writing. It seems to have a much higher profile this go around than for when it got the nomination in season one and is helped by good timing (and, yes, I know it missed for season 2). Main factor against it would probably be other “high brow, auteur” comedies like Fleabag and Russian Doll getting votes from the same demographic (plus multiple contenders from Veep, Barry and Maisel taking up the majority of the spots).

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Unless you’re a fan of the two favorites, it’s best to skip this year’s affair. It will be relentlessly predictable as the two will split their winnings and there’s absolutely nothing that can be done about it. Thanks to name-checking for a half decade (Veep, JLD) and mass osmosis last year (Maisel), the Emmys will show that there needs to be a competition show that will honor the real best comedies and dramas, irregardless of network. And not be biased against the broadcast networks.

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Unless you’re a fan of the two favorites, it’s best to skip this year’s affair. It will be relentlessly predictable as the two will split their winnings and there’s absolutely nothing that can be done about it. Thanks to name-checking for a half decade (Veep, JLD) and mass osmosis last year (Maisel), the Emmys will show that there needs to be a competition show that will honor the real best comedies and dramas, irregardless of network. And not be biased against the broadcast networks.

I’m going to assume you mean anything with Kristen Bell in it.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Never assume, for if one does, one makes an ass out of u and me. A saying older than both of us put together.

There needs to be balance between broadcast, cable and streaming services. There is a ginormous imbalance at present. Nothing more or less. It may get to the point, if it hasn’t already, that why should any of the Big Four broadcast the Emmys if the academy tosses out crumbs to them and the whole cake to streaming and cable?

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Never assume, for if one does, one makes an ass out of u and me. A saying older than both of us put together.

There needs to be balance between broadcast, cable and streaming services. There is a ginormous imbalance at present. Nothing more or less. It may get to the point, if it hasn’t already, that why should any of the Big Four broadcast the Emmys if the academy tosses out crumbs to them and the whole cake to streaming and cable?

So, in other words…you’re upset that I called you out lol. It’s not the Emmys’ fault that broadcast television rarely puts out slightly good shows. And they don’t have to do anything for those networks when for a millennium before HBO and whatnot, they were rewarding nothing but their shows. Also, with the millions of viewers the Emmys bring, they’re fine broadcasting.

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that each show should only submit once in writing and directing. There’s loads of smaller comedy shows which really deserve Writing noms such as

• Fleabag
    • After Life
    • Catastrophe

Directing Preditions:

• The Big Bang Theory
    • Veep
    • The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    • Barry
    • The Good Place
    • 2nd nom for one of the above

FYC Emmys 2019 ‘Killing Eve for Series, Jodie Comer, Sandra Oh and Fiona Shaw’ ‘Jim Parsons for The Big Bang Theory’

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

The Good Place is not strong enough to get into Directing. It also faces extremely tough competition. Barry, Veep and The Marvelous Mrs Maisel can all have multiple episodes nominated. Veep has even gotten 3 nominations for its past two seasons. Glow could return as well. The Big Bang Theory is basically guaranteed a spot as well.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

If broadcast shows were better, they’d get nominated. Other than Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Empire, and The Good Place, what are the huge snubs of network shows in recent years? I can’t think of any, because network shows (especially in drama) simply aren’t often at the level of cable and streaming shows. Saying that the Emmys have to award more broadcast shows so that the networks care about hosting the Emmys is ridiculous and you know it.

This year, I think Superstore, Fresh off the Boat, and even Big Bang Theory deserve consideration, the latter being a valentine to its 13 years of longevity as one of the country’s longest running comedies. Drama, you’re perfectly correct. It’s This is Us and 15 dramas named mud.

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

I think The Big Bang Theory is a lock for Directing. It got nominated last year and it is its final season

FYC Emmys 2019 ‘Killing Eve for Series, Jodie Comer, Sandra Oh and Fiona Shaw’ ‘Jim Parsons for The Big Bang Theory’

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

Well, that, and it’s the only viable beneficiary of the proportionality rule.

ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

Directing predictions

– 2 episodes for Mrs Maisel

– Veep

– The Big Bang Theory

– Barry

– Glow

Writing predictions

– 2 episodes for Veep

– 2 episodes for Barry

– Russian Doll

– The Marvelous Mrs Maisel

EDIT: I forgot Russian Doll, which I expect to be a big hit with the Emmys.I’m predicting a nomination in both categories, taking the spot of one episode of Veep in directing and of The Good Place in writing.

EDIT 2: I also forgot Glow. I’ll edit my post.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by  ospencer.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 465 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions’ is closed to new replies.