Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions

2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 465 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +35 hidden )
replies
views
users
Riley Chow
gabarnes43
EsOS
  • Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I still don’t think Veep is a lock for Best Comedy. Its finale will for sure win for Best Writing though. This is a tough year, as the three frontrunners are all really strong. I kind of agree with Riley. I think there is a strong possibility that the Veep and Maisel fans will split the vote and it’ll go to Barry.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m kind of thinking Maisel will take a bit of a backseat this year when it comes to wins. Handmaids swept their first year and then only won I think 3 out of 20-something nominations for their second. Maisel may only win for a couple of tech awards and Tony Shalhoub. Veep will probably win for writing and Barry will probably win for directing. I don’t think it’ll win Best Comedy this year.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m kind of thinking Maisel will take a bit of a backseat this year when it comes to wins. Handmaids swept their first year and then only won I think 3 out of 20-something nominations for their second. Maisel may only win for a couple of tech awards and Tony Shalhoub. Veep will probably win for writing and Barry will probably win for directing. I don’t think it’ll win Best Comedy this year.

You are misinterpreting the issue. The Handmaid’s Tale has not lost just because it was returning from a sweep last year. The second season overall wasn’t received that great, that’s why it lost. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel though has the same acclaim and reception if not better.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m starting to think maybe Olivia Colman could win Supporting actress

Globes FYC- Fleabag, Phoebe Waller Bridge, Jodie Comer, Dame Emma Thompson, The Crown

SAG FYC- The Crown, Olivia Colman, Fleabag, PWB

Critics Choice- Schitts Creek, Fleabag, Killing Eve, Bodyguard

BAFTA- Fleabag, Killing Eve

Oscars FYC ‘Little Women’ ‘Downton Abbey’ ‘Maggie Smith’

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

You are misinterpreting the issue. The Handmaid’s Tale has not lost just because it was returning from a sweep last year. The second season overall wasn’t received that great, that’s why it lost. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel though has the same acclaim and reception if not better.

Handmaid’s Tale still was very well received in its second season despite some controversies. It still received a score of 89% on RT out of 98 reviews and 80% with audience reviews. Regardless, that isn’t my point. What I’m saying is that yes, while this has been a great season of Maisel it’s still not as strong as Veep and Barry in certain categories. Maisel is to Veep like Handmaids was to GoT when GoT sat the year out. The category was less competitive and this year I consider the comedy categories to be the most competitive. I like Maisel but I just don’t see it winning as it did before.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Who do you think will win supporting actress?

If Academy members take notice of Fleabag and nominate it for a bunch of awards then I do think Olivia Colman has a good shot. I’m not sure why so many people have Betty Gilpin from Glow in their polls. I know she was nominated last year but I think the Academy is done with that show for the most part.

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see why Betty Gilpin would be able to hold on to a nomination especially when there are so many contenders. The fact that the Academy failed to nominate Brie and Maron for its first season, while Gilpin got in in a field 8, tells me that there’s not much passion from the TV Academy.

AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

Who do you think will win supporting actress?

The Maisel actresses will split the vote, the SNL ladies will split the vote as well. Chlumsky is not winning either, she would have won by now if she was supposed to win for this role and she isn’t randomly winning for arguably her worst season so far.

Oddly enough, I feel like this category will be taken by either Carden, Goldberg Gilpin, or Coleman – basically whoever manages to get nominated.

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see why Betty Gilpin would be able to hold on to a nomination especially when there are so many contenders. The fact that the Academy failed to nominate Brie and Maron for its first season, while Gilpin got in in a field 8, tells me that there’s not much passion from the TV Academy.

Gilpin situation reminds so much of Krakowski for Kimmy Schmidt, both got nominated (in a field of 8 nominees) for their first season (which also got in series) of a new Netflix comedy created by a acclaimed female auteur.

The show’s lead actress (Kemper & Brie) was expected to nominated but missed out, though eventually get nominated in their second season. It’s eerily similar.

Krakowski never got nominated again for UKS because she was always likely 7th/8th by a distance and I doubt we’ll see Gilpin in again for Glow.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Handmaid’s Tale still was very well received in its second season despite some controversies. It still received a score of 89% on RT out of 98 reviews and 80% with audience reviews. Regardless, that isn’t my point. What I’m saying is that yes, while this has been a great season of Maisel it’s still not as strong as Veep and Barry in certain categories. Maisel is to Veep like Handmaids was to GoT when GoT sat the year out. The category was less competitive and this year I consider the comedy categories to be the most competitive. I like Maisel but I just don’t see it winning as it did before.

Maisel literally swept the guilds like no other show before for it’s secound season. I actually think it’s being under estimated.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

The Maisel actresses will split the vote, the SNL ladies will split the vote as well. Chlumsky is not winning either, she would have won by now if she was supposed to win for this role and she isn’t randomly winning for arguably her worst season so far.

Oddly enough, I feel like this category will be taken by either Carden, Goldberg Gilpin, or Coleman – basically whoever manages to get nominated.

I always felt that a lot of times that they did not know what to do with her character in terms of growth. The first of the season, Chlumsky had stuff to do, but then it somewhat fizzled for me.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Maybe the fact that I’m a massive GLOW stan is clouding my judgment, but I would think really hard before taking it out of your predictions. It’s held onto most of the important precursor nominations that it got for its first season. It got back into SAG Ensemble, and Brie was the only woman not from Maisel or GaF to get into Comedy Actress. Brie also got a second Globe nom (not an easy feat by any means). It repeated at WGA, and even got its first PGA nom after missing for its first season. The only awards it dropped were Maron at SAG and most of its CC nods (but Gilpin still repeated there). Honestly, Brie’s snub last year was the best thing that could have happened to her, because she was at the top of everyone’s Unforgivable Snub List ans voters will probably feel pressured to vote for her this year. Unlike the Emmys, it’s gotten these noms at shows at the end of the calendar year, six months after the season aired, so it’s not like it’s gotten by on buzz and anticipation each time, and that’ll only be helped by the promotion for the third season likely starting during voting time, putting the buzz at a high. It also helps that Brie and Gilpin had an AWESOME second season where they kicked it up like seven notches in terms of acting. So sure, it may not have the passion of Maisel, but it’s critically acclaimed, moderately popular, and has hit all of the precursors where it needs to in order to show that there’s support for the show. Don’t underestimate GLOW for nominations, and certainly don’t underestimate Gilpin on ceremony night. You might laugh, but with the Maisel and SNL ladies likely vote-splitting, if the voters agree that Chlumsky didn’t have the best season, Gilpin is likely next in line, and I would not be surprised if she took home the award in September.

Mickmack
    Participant
    Topics:

Dead To Me to sweep everything!

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 465 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Awards Comedy Predictions’ is closed to new replies.