Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Drama Predictions

2019 Emmy Awards Drama Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 496 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 days ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
lacourseauxet..
Stegeo
  • Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Christine Baranski has zero chance, the entire industry is not even aware that her show exist.

Robin Wright will be nominated only if voters do not watch the new shows and they need to go back to the ones that have watched this year. She will never win for such a bad season, it is ridiculous that some user was arguing that is not true, I have yet to see it (I have seen all five seasons, but the horrible reviews made the new one a low priority), but is without a doubt the worst reviewed season of the show and of any Emmy darling season ever by both fans and critics, also I have never seen a single positive comment about the season in their Facebook page, not a single one.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Ivo Stoyanov.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Ivo Stoyanov.
    Luca
    Participant
    Topics:

Christine Baranski has zero chance, the entire industry is not even aware that her show exist. Robin Wright will be nominated only if voters do not watch the new shows and they need to go back to the ones that have watched this year. She will never win for such a bad season, it is ridiculous that some user was arguing that is not true, I have yet to see it (I have seen all five seasons, but the horrible reviews made the new one a low priority), but is without a doubt that worst reviewed season of the show and of any Emmy darling season ever by both fans and critics, also I have never seen a single positive comment about the season in their Facebook page, not a single one.

I agree with you on Baranski, disagree on Wright.

Whether HoC S6 was loathed or not, whether it was watched or not, Wright has been nominated so many times and is still waiting to win. She could get the sympathy vote for having to deal with Spacey, or the respect vote for getting season 6 made despite the obstacles.

I don’t think she’s winning – Oh is almost a lock IMO – but Wright is probably in second or third place at least.

Emmys 2019 FYC: Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones"), Cicely Tyson ("HTGAWM"), Viola Davis ("HTGAWM"), Richard Madden ("Bodyguard"), "Bodyguard," "The Haunting of Hill House" & "Escape at Dannemora" in all categories

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Emilia Clarke is amazing. I hope she wins.

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Emilia Clarke and Robin Wright are real dark horses in this race, as mentioned earlier, Wright could get sympathy votes because of Spacey and seeming she is well overdue for an Emmy (if we are talking about Producing as well as Acting noms, she has 7).

However, it would be criminal for them to snub Sandra Oh on her seventh try and she is well overdue, frankly she should have won for Killing Eve S1 but there was no way she would overcome Claire Foy or even Elisabeth Moss for that matter. This is how I think the nominations will play out in likelihood of most to least.

1. Sandra Oh, Killing Eve
    2. Robin Wright, House of Cards
    3. Laura Linney, Ozark
    4. Julia Roberts, Homecoming
    5. Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
    6. Jodie Comer, Killing Eve

————————————————————————————————

7. Christine Baranski, The Good Fight
    8. Keeley Hawes, Bodyguard
    9. Viola Davis, How to Get Away with Murder

Baranski could pip Comer for the sixth position, I know her show isn’t noticed very well by the Academy but it’s tricky to see Comer get in at the same time knowing how many times she has missed (excl. Critics Choice). Hawes is a dark horse because where Netflix to campaign hard for Bodyguard and Ozark, and only for HoC in Actress for Wright, Hawes could be nominated if voters watch Bodyguard for Madden’s performance, it’s hard not to notice Hawes who arguably steals the show at the same time from Madden.

FYC Emmys 2019 : Phoebe Waller–Bridge ("Fleabag") for Best Actress in a Comedy Series, Sandra Oh ("Killing Eve") for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Bradley Walsh ("Doctor Who") for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, Keeley Hawes ("Bodyguard") for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, "Maniac", "A Very English Scandal" and "Killing Eve" in all eligible categories.

Luca
    Participant
    Topics:

I will continue to warn everyone about Davis, and I’m glad that I’m not alone in thinking that she could make it in. That guest nod last year is very important. She may have been #7 or #8 in actress without many of us even believing so. I don’t have her in ATM, as I do think Clarke and Comer are getting in, but who knows. It’s the Emmys after all, they love throwing curveballs at us

Emmys 2019 FYC: Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones"), Cicely Tyson ("HTGAWM"), Viola Davis ("HTGAWM"), Richard Madden ("Bodyguard"), "Bodyguard," "The Haunting of Hill House" & "Escape at Dannemora" in all categories

Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Emilia Clarke is amazing. I hope she wins.

I am not a regular viewer of The Game of Thrones, but Emilia Clarke’s submissions are not that great. Is she a horrible submitter?

ChargerFan
    Participant
    Topics:

I will continue to warn everyone about Davis, and I’m glad that I’m not alone in thinking that she could make it in. That guest nod last year is very important. She may have been #7 or #8 in actress without many of us even believing so. I don’t have her in ATM, as I do think Clarke and Comer are getting in, but who knows. It’s the Emmys after all, they love throwing curveballs at us

People are sleeping on Davis. I’ve had her in from the start, and I won’t be taking her out. I have Wright, Oh, Linney, Roberts and Davis in my top 5. Clarke and Comer are interchangeable for me right now, but I have Comer missing out….again.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 4 weeks ago by  Chris.

Emmys 2019 FYC: Robin Wright (House of Cards)

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

I am not a regular viewer of The Game of Thrones, but Emilia Clarke’s submissions are not that great. Is she a horrible submitter?

I think season three was her best submission but season six was a what the heck one because she had a better scene earlier on and what she submitted was really Harington’s episode; DOTD being her submission makes sense since it was her biggest episode in season five (as well as the season’s biggest in general).

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I think season three was her best submission

So her best submission… was the episode in which she was absent from the first forty-seven minutes.

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

So her best submission… was the episode in which she was absent from the first forty-seven minutes.

Lol basically. I mean I guess I could lump in there season five (since it was the smart choice) but I didn’t really care for either five or six submissions, even if she had way more screen time and the former was her big season moment. I just realized that that does not help her when people call her coattail, yikes.

Edit: I also just saw Ivo’s shade regarding me arguing the HoC reviews. What I said was true, it got better critic scores than last season and the audience ones were filled with pressed Spacey stans dragging it before it even premiered (you not acknowledging this is your problem), and going to Facebook comments is not helping your argument. Not to mention, the fact that it retained and gained guild noms (more than KE) helps my case for the season’s industry support.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Ivo Stoyanov wrote:
    Christine Baranski has zero chance, the entire industry is not even aware that her show exist. Robin Wright will be nominated only if voters do not watch the new shows and they need to go back to the ones that have watched this year. She will never win for such a bad season, it is ridiculous that some user was arguing that is not true, I have yet to see it (I have seen all five seasons, but the horrible reviews made the new one a low priority), but is without a doubt that worst reviewed season of the show and of any Emmy darling season ever by both fans and critics, also I have never seen a single positive comment about the season in their Facebook page, not a single one.

I agree with you on Baranski, disagree on Wright.

Whether HoC S6 was loathed or not, whether it was watched or not, Wright has been nominated so many times and is still waiting to win. She could get the sympathy vote for having to deal with Spacey, or the respect vote for getting season 6 made despite the obstacles.

I don’t think she’s winning – Oh is almost a lock IMO – but Wright is probably in second or third place at least.

Good arguments, you may be right, I did not predict her for SAG and she made it, but all your arguments would have worked better if this last season was actually good or at least not that loathed, why should they reward or nominate her for doing something bad without Spacey?

Voters many times nominate based on the quality of the seasons, for example they ignored Homeland for the loathed season 3 and then they brought it back for the incredible fourth season. Same thing happened with Julianna Margulies, she won two Emmys for the two best season of The Good Wife (2 and 5), she was not even nominated for the weakest seasons. Again, if voters do watch the new shows, Wright will made it, if they do, she is out. Viola Davis is another example that they do not care about stars, Oscar winners or name recognition if the show is really bad.

Luca
    Participant
    Topics:

Good arguments, you may be right, I did not predict her for SAG and she made it, but all your arguments would have worked better if this last season was actually good or at least not that loathed, why should they reward or nominate her for doing something bad without Spacey? Voters many times nominate based on the quality of the seasons, for example they ignored Homeland for the loathed season 3 and then they brought it back for the incredible fourth season. Same thing happened with Julianna Margulies, she won two Emmys for the two best season of The Good Wife (2 and 5), she was not even nominated for the weakest seasons. Again, if voters do watch the new shows, Wright will made it, if they do, she is out. Viola Davis is another example that they do not care about stars, Oscar winners or name recognition if the show is really bad.

Hmm, but I do wonder whether the industry hated HoC S6 as much as other “normal” (sorry for that term) viewers did. The terrible IMDb ratings are clearly from trolls – a 2.7 is absolutely ridiculous, I don’t think I have ever seen that. I’m not sure if the quality really matters in this case, Robin Wright has so much respect for not only her performance but everything she had to put up with. What has never escaped my mind is when 2018’s SAG nominees were read aloud by Niecy Nash, and when she read out Wright’s name, she said, “Oh I love this woman and I cannot wait for Season 6.” (this was after the Spacey mess had started). I am starting to wonder if the industry as a whole thinks like that as well. And even if voters hated the season, I still think they’ll give Wright the sympathy and/ or respect vote, especially in such a barren field.

And what you said about big stars applies to some cases but not others, it’s actually become quite strange. We had Oscar winner Marisa Tomei contending for one of the Drama frontrunners, Emmy-favorite Margo Martindale contending for a Good Wife spin-off, 3 well-known This Is Us actresses (Perkins, Burton, Grier) contending for a show that got 7 acting nods the year before. Despite all this, they went for Davis’ guest appearance in Scandal, a show that had been absent from the Emmy for 3 years. And let’s not forget, she was still playing Annalise Keating. IMO that just tells me how much support she has, because honestly, as great as performance was in that episode, no Emmy voter actually watched it. That was absolutely name-check, same with Tyson, and with Abraham on the guest actor side.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I also just saw Ivo’s shade regarding me arguing the HoC reviews. What I said was true, it got better critic scores than last season and the audience ones were filled with pressed Spacey stans dragging it before it even premiered (you not acknowledging this is your problem), and going to Facebook comments is not helping your argument. Not to mention, the fact that it retained and gained guild noms (more than KE) helps my case for the season’s industry support.

This is completely untrue. And going to Facebook comments in the FAN PAGE of the show is way more indicative that the opinion of a single person. Facebook fan pages are very objective and reliable, they are not a hateful places at all. For example, last season of The Walking Dead was loathed in their Facebook (deservedly since it was the worst TV season of 2018), but the current one is universally praised as one of the best seasons of the show (deservedly, Angela Kang is an incredible writer and a miracle for this show), so yes, Facebook comments do matter and in House of Cards case there were more than 100 000 comments full of disappointment. And where are the scores that you are talking about? In IMDB has lower scores than any CW show. In RT it has dreadful score from fans and just 2% more than the previous season from critics, however what matters if you understand how RT works is not the percentage of approval, but the average score, in this case season 5 has 7.29/10, while season 6 has 6.11/10. In Metacritic all the scores are worst. Where are the good scores you are talking about? They do not exist.

Also, no one is arguing that season 5 was good, it had some moments, but pretty much everyone agreed that is the worst season nominated for Drama in the entire Emmy history and the Emmys were heavily criticized for including the show, why they would do that again? Also, ignoring what everyone thinks about Kevin Spacey, fans are right, the show did not made sense without him, to see the main character die of screen is very disappointing, I am certain that the last season of Transparent will be as bad and as disappointing as well.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not sure how you can say the Emmy’s wont nominate a critically panned show when Ozark is in the 2-4 spot for the Drama line-up

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Emilia Clarke has always been good to me. She plays the role exactly how it should be played. She always delivers. I don’t know what people want her to do? Cry all the time? or scream or whatever… she’s quite stoic, subtle and regal. I always enjoy her on screen and she’s never been upstaged by anyone in a scene, not even Peter Dinklage.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Awards Drama Predictions’ is closed to new replies.