Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards General Discussion (Part 6)

2019 Emmy Awards General Discussion (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 180 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Guest 2018
Riley Chow
Rachel
  • Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

He’s funny…his movies are bad usually, but he is a genuinely funny comedian

Most of his jokes fall flat imo. They’re almost always dirty which I don’t mind but still usually don’t find funny. That doesn’t mean his movies are utterly bad though. Lately they’ve all been trash, but I watched Murder Mystery a few days ago and I thorougly enjoyed it. I thought it was a very decent script, don’t think he wrote or co-wrote it though. Haven’t seen his SNL ep yet. Could Danny DeVito replace him?

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Full Predictions

Comedy Series:

1. Veep
    2. Barry
    3. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    4. The Good Place
    5. Fleabag
    6. The Kominsky Method
    7. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

Lead Actress in a Comedy:

1. Phoebe Waller Bridge- Fleabag
    2. Julia Louis Dreyfus- Veep
    3. Rachel Brosnahan- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    4. Natasha Lyonne- Russian Doll
    5. Christina Applegate- Dead to Me
    6. Lily Tomlin- Grace and Frankie
    7. Pamela Adlon- Better Things

Lead Actor in a Comedy:

1. Michael Douglas- The Kominsky Method
    2. Jim Parsons- The Big Bang Theory
    3. Bill Hader- Barry
    4. Ted Danson- The Good Place
    5. Anthony Anderson- Blackish
    6. Jim Carrey- Kidding

Supporting Actress in a Comedy:

1. Olivia Colman- Fleabag
    2. D’Arcy Carden- The Good Place
    3. Alex Borstein- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    4. Anna Chlumsky- Veep
    5. Kate McKinnon- SNL
    6. Marin Hinkle- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    7. Laurie Metcalf- The Conners

Supporting Actor in a Comedy:

1. Tony Shalhoub- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    2. Tituss Burgess- Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    3. Alan Arkin- The Kominsky Method
    4. Tony Hale- Veep
    5. Henry Winkler- Barry
    6. Andrew Scott- Fleabag

Guest Actor in a Comedy:

1. Peter MacNicol- Veep
    2. John Mulaney- SNL
    3. Bob Newhart- The Big Bang Theory
    4. Lin Manuel Miranda- Brooklyn Nine Nine
    5. Luke Kirby- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    6. Danny DeVito- The Kominsky Method

Guest Actress in a Comedy:

1. Maya Rudolph- The Good Place
    2. Jane Lynch- The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    3. Christine Baranski- The Big Bang Theory
    4. Emma Thompson- SNL
    5. Sandra Oh- SNL
    6. Cate Blanchett- Documentary Now

Writing in a Comedy:

1. Fleabag- Episode 1
    2. Veep- Veep
    3. Barry- Ronny/Lily
    4. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel- Midnight at the Concord
    5. The Good Place- Janets
    6. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel- Vote for Kennedy, Vote for Kennedy

Directing in a Comedy:

1. Veep- Veep
    2. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel- Were Going to the Catskills
    3. The Big Bang Theory- The Stockholm Syndrome
    4. Barry- Ronny/Lily
    5. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel- All Alone
    6. Barry- The Audition

FYC Emmys 2019 ‘Killing Eve for Series, Jodie Comer, Sandra Oh and Fiona Shaw’ ‘Jim Parsons for The Big Bang Theory’

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Why is the directors name on the ballot but the writers names are not

FYC Emmys 2019 ‘Killing Eve for Series, Jodie Comer, Sandra Oh and Fiona Shaw’ ‘Jim Parsons for The Big Bang Theory’

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

They are different branches, so they make their own rules. Makeup has names, but costumes does not. The writers and costumers decided that they wanted to take name recognition out of the equation.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

And now, friends and enemies, voting on the 2019 Emmy nominees is officially CLOSED. Whether they turn out to be a ginormous clusterfork or substance finally being rewarded over style, we’ll find out July 16.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Do you guys believe someone will finally achieve ultraclean sweep?

If Jodie Comer had Oh’s name recognition, she would.

Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

I have noticed many people here do not know what a clean sweep is. Let me explain then. First it only counts if it’s for one role.

Clean sweep: GG, SAG and Emmy

Clean sweep+: GG, SAG, Emmy and TCA

Ultra clean sweep: GG, SAG, Emmy and BAFTA

Ultra clean sweep+: GG, SAG, Emmy, TCA and BAFTA

Many people have achieved clean sweep, only some clean sweep+ but absolutely no one has ever achieved ultra clean sweep. If I’m not mistaken two or three people were very close but lost BAFTA. No one was even close to ultra clean sweep+. Do you guys believe someone will finally achieve ultra clean sweep?

Olivia Colman most likely.

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Off-topic but I think this is the best place to ask this question, does anyone know how to access to 2011 ballots?

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

Thank you.

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Daniel Montgomery delivered a sobering article a couple of days ago, and I thought that instead of its own thread, the general discussion area would be the best place for what will be a frank exchange of views:

https://www.goldderby.com/article/2019/emmy-best-comedy-series-short-seasons-veep-russian-doll-news/

If the top 7 predicted nominees for Comedy Series by GD holds true Tuesday, Daniel points out the average number of episodes per nominee would be an alarming 9.1, the lowest average in the 71 year history of the awards. And god fvcking forbid if Fleabag is in the mix, then the average plunges lower than Trump’s IQ.

This. Is. Wrong. People. And. You. KNOW. It’s. Wrong.

Brevity is the coward’s way out, not the soul of wit. Six episodes is not a season. It is a hiccup. Screw the Brits. Emmys NEED to adopt a rule next year. ANY comedy or drama that doesn’t have a minimum of 10 episodes is automatically shipped to Limited Series. It will improve that category, and give a fighting chance to those who still believe in telling a story that takes a bit of time to unfold, and not blink, and you’ll miss it.

Reckoning time next week; style over substance? has a new question beside it; warp speed comedies/dramas or tradition? There is not one scintilla of a reason why a 6 to 9-episode series shouldn’t get DQ’d from comedy or drama when Limited Series is there. Or add a new category, Short Form Series Presentation. You are penalizing those shows and networks that do not wish to have such anomalies.

So what say you, then?

Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

I think only shows that have at least 20 episodes like normal network shows should be eligible in those categories. It’s only fair since that’s how tv shows have operated for decades.

Big fan of Better Call Saul, Sex Education, Barry, BoJack Horseman, and, especially, Survivor

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Rachel, with due respect, ‘six episodes is not a season’. And I hold Fleabag’s breathtaking, self-imposed levity against it.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

OR!!!! Networks could join the party and start making programs with shorter seasons. In a crowded tv landscape, nobody wants to spend 22 hours with one show when they could watch three in that amount of time. Bonus: this could lead to a resurgence in acclaim for network series if they aren’t plagued by filler episodes. It’s not a coincidence The Good Place is the only network comedy being predicted in the odds and it has 13 instead of the typical 20+ episodes in a season.

TV used to consist of under five channels with programs entirely in black and white. It’s an ever-changing medium. That’s not going to stop

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Tyler, that’s why I propose the cutoff at 10 episodes. Any show can still go the Good Place route (14 epis next season) and not go the full 22/23/24. 10 at least gives broadcast network shows the OPTION of reducing their series orders. But once TGP is gone, 2021 will be the end of big-four participation at the Emmys in the big ticket comedy and drama categories, I fear.

Six episodes is just. too. short. It’s one thing if the 6 episode route is imposed on a show, like it was for Canada’s best imported show from 2012-16, Continuum, thanks to Shaw Cable’s decision to end the series. Fans fought like here for 6 months to get a full season, and only got 6 to wrap it up. It’s quite the other when the decision to go 6 is voluntary.

And if you have Short Form Series, then you open the prospect of having comedies and dramas compete against each other. Like the Saturn Awards when they used to have Best Presentation (< than 10 episodes), which they will phase out with this year’s awards on September 13.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Awards General Discussion (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.