Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards General Discussion (Part 6)

2019 Emmy Awards General Discussion (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 180 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Guest 2018
Riley Chow
Rachel
  • musterd
    Participant
    Topics:

Shows with shorter seasons getting more attention is just reflective of current viewership habits. The Academy has no incentive to impose an arbitrary rule based on size of season especially when nobody has the time to watch shows that require investment of more than 6 hours per season. You will just end up with a category of nominees nobody has watched and in turn the award would lose its relevance.

The trend favours storytelling done concisely with exceptional quality. I don’t think anybody can say shows like Barry and Fleabag favour style over substance when they produced some of the best envelope pushing/ risk taking episodes in recent times. This was also the old British television model and that gave us so many tv classics.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Reckoning time next week; style over substance?

I like to think of it as quality over quantity.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Just realised Tuesday is noms day and my predix as always are at the last minute a pure mess.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Yeah, I thought that the 16th was a Thursday until today.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like limited series categories will be as random as last year’s.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Just realised Tuesday is noms day and my predix as always are at the last minute a pure mess.

I’m all over the place LOL

Jus
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m still hoping for some surprises. Positive or negative, doesn’t matter, because ilovemess.gif

The most boring year for drama will probably turn out to be the most crazy one. I know nothing at this point.

Roney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

*The categories I’m most comfortably settled on: Drama Actress&Comedy Actress

*The categories I’m least comfortably settled on-will continue to change them till Tuesday: Comedy Actor&Comedy Guest Actor

*The categories I will completely tank but so will everyone, so I just let it go; Drama Supp Actress&Limited Supp Actress

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m all over the place LOL

I just hope our Sarah Goldberg prediction comes to fruition.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Viewing priorities before nominations:
    – rest of the House of Cards finale
    – last 4 episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Dirty John pilot at least
    Ozark season 2
    – last 3 episodes of Fleabag
    – last 5 episodes of True Detective

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Viewing priorities before nominations:
    – rest of the House of Cards finale
    – last 4 episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Dirty John pilot at least
    Ozark season 2
    – last 3 episodes of Fleabag
    – last 5 episodes of True Detective

How did you watch the first 3 and not immediately want to watch the last 3?

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

God, I hope so. I’m keeping her in until the end.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Ugh ME TOO!

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Shows with shorter seasons getting more attention is just reflective of current viewership habits. The Academy has no incentive to impose an arbitrary rule based on size of season especially when nobody has the time to watch shows that require investment of more than 6 hours per season. You will just end up with a category of nominees nobody has watched and in turn the award would lose its relevance.

The trend favours storytelling done concisely with exceptional quality. I don’t think anybody can say shows like Barry and Fleabag favour style over substance when they produced some of the best envelope pushing/ risk taking episodes in recent times. This was also the old British television model and that gave us so many tv classics.

The style/substance debate is just with the champion of style, sugar and fluff (Maisel) vs. the rock-hard substance and quality of The Good Place. It would be a crime against the laws of nature if Fleabag gets even one nomination. If you’ve got just 6 episodes to tell your tale, you must not have a lot to tell.

stuffy
    Participant
    Topics:

The style/substance debate is just with the champion of style, sugar and fluff (Maisel) vs. the rock-hard substance and quality of The Good Place. It would be a crime against the laws of nature if Fleabag gets even one nomination. If you’ve got just 6 episodes to tell your tale, you must not have a lot to tell.

I watched all three shows you’ve mentioned, and I’m sorry but Maisel and Fleabag have far more substance in their short episode orders than The Good Place. I’d actually describe The Good Place as sugar and fluff. I say this as someone who loves TGP and will watch anything Kristen Bell is in. I’d put Glow as having more substance above The Good Place too. I watch TGP because it’s light and fluffy and a nice respite from the drama of the workweek.

Also 6-8 episodes seems to be the norm in the UK. I’ve watched eight UK produced series in the past year including Fleabag and none of them had more than eight episodes. More episodes doesn’t always mean more story to tell especially when you have to sit through filler episodes to get to the episodes with substance.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  stuffy.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by  stuffy.
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 180 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Awards General Discussion (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.