Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Limited Series/TV Movie Predictions (Part 2)

2019 Emmy Awards Limited Series/TV Movie Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 476 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
mafro987
sofan
  • ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

I need to make room for “True Detective” somewhere, but I can’t decide what to drop. Something major is going to get snubbed in Limited Series this year. Also, no one is beating Ali in Lead Actor.

I have Fosse/Verdon snubbed at the moment but I’m thinking about switching it with Escape

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Among that group it’s down to personal preference surely. Harris’ performance is magnificent and he anchors the series. His micro expressions alone! My personal winner.

Don’t get me wrong he really elevated the material given to him with his natural subtlety, and he was great in the other major roles I’ve seen him in (The Expanse, The Terror, The Crown, Mad Men). I prefer his body of work to Ali’s. It’s just obvious that Ali and Jerome gave the best performances in the category when you take into account the range of the performance, the complexity of the role etc.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Are we really at a point now where people are considering dropping Dannemora? Let me just remind that this show overperformed at all precursors, including the guilds. And when I say overperformed, then I mean Arquette beating Adams at SAG and the Globes, which is huge. Ben Stiller won DGA over reigning champ Jean-Marc Vallée; if you’ve seen the show, you’ll understand why. Yes, the show targets a very niche audience, but to lesser extent than, say, Fosse/Verdon. The fact that it’s a real story and has such talent attached to it might even outweigh the fact that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I believe that Chernobyl and When They See Us are firmly ahead, but I think it’s comfortably sitting in third place. Oh, and its viewership doubled from its premiere to finale.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

It won DGA but missed WGA and PGA nominations, I wouldn’t call that overperforming at The Guilds. Sharp Objects got no wins except Patricia Clarkson, but got nominated at all the Guilds, so Sharp Objects is likely ahead of Escape and in third place. So yeah I think Escape is weaker than most people think tbh. The only buzz for this show is Patricia Arquette, and she can win even if the show isn’t nominated (or she could win for The Act or simply win for none of them).

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Are we really at a point now where people are considering dropping Dannemora? Let me just remind that this show overperformed at all precursors, including the guilds. And when I say overperformed, then I mean Arquette beating Adams at SAG and the Globes, which is huge. Ben Stiller won DGA over reigning champ Jean-Marc Vallée; if you’ve seen the show, you’ll understand why. Yes, the show targets a very niche audience, but to lesser extent than, say, Fosse/Verdon. The fact that it’s a real story and has such talent attached to it might even outweigh the fact that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. I believe that Chernobyl and When They See Us are firmly ahead, but I think it’s comfortably sitting in third place. Oh, and its viewership doubled from its premiere to finale.

I wouldn’t even go as far as ‘very niche’. It’s a lock for a nomination. I think Sharp Objects (which I prefer) is the show in the precarious fourth spot. I can see the guild misses making people unsure though.

For Your Consideration:

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Fosse/Verdon snubbed at the moment but I’m thinking about switching it with Escape

Wow…  uhm bold move.

Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Roney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

PGA nominated Dannemora. And are we sure that it was eligible for WGA ? I remember their TV deadline being somewere around November. And even if it was eligible and snubbed it would more likely to have been the result of its late airdate than its lack of support, like Olive Kitteridge’s PGA snub a few years back even though it dominated the other guilds and eventually the Emmys.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

It won DGA but missed WGA and PGA nominations, I wouldn’t call that overperforming at The Guilds.

It didn’t miss PGA, and Riley explained why it has missed WGA.

musterd
    Participant
    Topics:

Don’t get me wrong he really elevated the material given to him with his natural subtlety, and he was great in the other major roles I’ve seen him in (The Expanse, The Terror, The Crown, Mad Men). I prefer his body of work to Ali’s. It’s just obvious that Ali and Jerome gave the best performances in the category when you take into account the range of the performance, the complexity of the role etc.

We just have different views on the complexity of his role then; think his is plenty complex and he calibrates it beautifully while making it look like easy. His may be a quieter character but he never hides from the audience his emotions and frustrations. And he plays such a crucial part in making the audience realise the gravity of the situation based on the authenticity of his reactions – the scene when he is first summoned to the government and is given the report to read? His conveyance of internal breakdown and turmoil is first class and he never overplays his hand.

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

PGA nominated Dannemora. And are we sure that it was eligible for WGA ? I remember their TV deadline being somewere around November. And even if it was eligible and snubbed it would more likely to have been the result of its late airdate than its lack of support, like Olive Kitteridge’s PGA snub a few years back even though it dominated the other guilds and eventually the Emmys.

It didn’t miss PGA, and Riley explained why it has missed WGA.

Thank you, I thought it missed it. I stand corrected then.

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

We just have different views on the complexity of his role then; think his is plenty complex and he calibrates it beautifully while making it look like easy. His may be a quieter character but he never hides from the audience his emotions and frustrations. And he plays such a crucial part in making the audience realise the gravity of the situation based on the authenticity of his reactions – the scene when he is first summoned to the government and is given the report to read? His conveyance of internal breakdown and turmoil is first class and he never overplays his hand.

I don’t necessarily disagree with you, I just think you’re underrating what Ali and Jerome did with their characters, particularly Jerome as he had to model his performance around someone with such a particular speech pattern etc. As there is such little source material on Legasov, Harris was essentially able to construct (the English speaking version of) the character himself. Coupled with Ali’s mastery of switching between multiple timelines and the nuances that accompany that, Harris’ performance was the least complex of the three.

But I can’t argue against supporting a Harris win because he wouldn’t be undeserving of it.

For Your Consideration:

Gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Renee Zellweger is right on the end of the ballot, could she be name checked in?

FYC Golden Globes- Fleabag, The Crown, Olivia Colman, Jennifer Aniston

FYC Oscars- Maggie Smith, Charlize Theron, Brad Pitt, Adam Driver

FYC Emmys- Schitts Creek, The Crown, Years and Years

Nate
    Participant
    Topics:

I think that, if anyone is going to be namechecked in that category, it’s going to be 17 time Emmy nominee and 4 time Emmy winner Alfre Woodard for a Netflix movie that probably hardly anyone has seen. With only Adams, Arquette, and Williams really locked in, Woodard’s name, like Britton’s and Margulies’s, really looks comfortable for Emmy voters. I’m not quite ready to predict her, but I just threw her into my Gold Derby TV Award nominations for fun.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone else have a feeling Maniac might get completely shut out? I know people are still predicting Emma Stone for lead and Sally Field for supporting but does it still have enough support to even get in?

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 476 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Awards Limited Series/TV Movie Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.