Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Limited Series/TV Movie Predictions (Part 2)

2019 Emmy Awards Limited Series/TV Movie Predictions (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 476 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
6 days ago
replies
views
users
Stegeo
Luca Giliberti
mafro987
  • Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I do not see how people do not see how there are limits to how much an Outstanding Limited Series can sweep in the acting categories, like why would Emily Watson win if Edgar Ramirez could not?  Directing on the other hand is generally linked to series, except when vote-splitting is a factor.

People vs O.J. Simpson and Big Little Lies won 3 acting Emmys each. I don’t know what limit you are talking about.

And are we ignoring the fact that Ramirez had two co-stars competing against him?  Watson doesn’t have to worry about that.

Rishabh Chaturvedi
    Participant
    Topics:

If Chernobyl indeed is winning Limited Series, will voters instead want to individually reward Ava DuVernay’s direction for When They See Us? I can see that happening, given the massive industry buzz and praise for her right now. Writing might be taken by Chernobyl in that case.

Djoko
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

To me Arquette, Williams, Adams are locks and King is their runner-up to get nominated. The last 2 spots I have Emma Stone and Marisa Tomei. Not sure how I feel about Stone, I feel like on the one hand she gave one of her best performances (if not her best performance) in her career which in itself doesn’t say much ’cause giving your best career performance doesn’t necessarily mean it’s awards-worthy, but I do think Stone is nomination-worthy here. Tomei, I’ve explained before, I’m just expecting the special to be embraced by the Academy, people truly talked about it, and I’m also predicting Marla Gibbs now as well, she was probably the most praised out of the bunch.
    As of Connie Britton and Julianne Margulies (unless she finally lands a nomination, I refuse to consider Ruth Wilson as a solid contender), on the one hand I eliminate Margulies because she’s never really shown the blind industry support Britton (sort-of) has. She’s only been nominated for her two most famous, successful roles, ER and TGW. At the Globes she was nominated for 2 miniseries (that she did before TGW though) in the past as well: The Grid and the Mists of Avalon. The first received only 2 tech noms at the Emmys but the latter was a miniseries nominee and got both of her co-stars Anjelica Huston and Joan Allen in. Britton on the other hand got in for Nashville lmao. Not saying she was bad in that (never watched it), but no one cared about that show, the only other nomination it ever earned throughout its multiple-year-run was in the same year an original music nom. So, based on industry support, I feel like Britton might have the edge. On the contrary though, what if Hot Zone gets a limited series nomination just because it’s Nat Geo? That would justify Margulies overthrowing Britton. My gut says neither will end up getting nominated, unless they truly don’t care about Maniac and Stone is nowhere to be found.
    Long post, sorry. (Not that anyone’s gonna bother reading it anyway, lol.)

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Very good analysis, Stegeo. I agree with your top 4, those are my exact four as well. ATM I have Margulies and Nash, but I might switch out one of them for Tomei. I also have Gibbs in, and I’m getting extreme JCS flashbacks. I have Nash in, because she’s gaining the most traction after Jharrel Jerome. Plus, she’s been nominated for shows like “Getting On,” which wasn’t necessarily an Emmy favorite. The finale is definitely the most acclaimed episode, and she’s so good in it. Totally agree on Stone; I gave up after 2 episodes, but my God was shs fantastic in the second episode of the show. So much range. But I fear that Maniac could end up being a non-factor. In a just world Carla Gugino would easily be in, but that’s not happening.

I will be devastated if King is snubbed.

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think so… at all. Harris is far from a lock. Jerome might happen, what makes you think he won’t? Because he’s not as established? And Harris isn’t that strong to defeat multiple Oscar winner Mahershala Ali in a career- best performance and one of the best performances of the year.

If Jharrel Jerome gets nominated, which he will, I believe he’s ahead of Jared Harris for the win. He’s the only one I can see beating Mahershala Ali, which he likely won’t.

I think he is too young to win.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I am still waiting for a performer’s age to stop being a factor, and I feel like we’re finally moving in that direction. Drama Guest Actress used to be the veteran actress category, but the last two winners (Bledel & Wiley) set records for being the youngest winners since the category underwent changes in the late 80s. People like Millie BB & Maisie Williams can now also get nominated, which is great. I am hoping to see a youth invasion (for the lack of a better term) this year; King, Garner, Williams, Turner, Jerome, and so on. Winning has been their hurdle, and I hope they finally overcome it this year.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I have Nash in

I totally forgot about her. Why is she lead? Why not supporting? She would do us all a favor and solidify our supporting actress predictions. Anyways, she probably is getting in then, over Stone. RIP

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

I think he is too young to win.

I feel that’s not becoming as much of an issue in (at least his category). In the last two years the winners (Ahmed & Criss) were 34 and 31, respectively.

Ahmed’s win was the first time someone under 35 had won since Peter Strauss (“The Jericho Mile”) and Powers Boothe (“Guyana Tragedy: The Story of Jim Jones”), both of whom were 32 when they won in 1979 and 1980, respectively.

Even last year, Jesse Plemmons, by the time of the nomination day, had just turned 30.

In other categories there’s been more acceptance / willingness to embrace younger performers in other categories (Bledel’s, Glover’s, Maslany & Wiley’s wins, nominations for MBB & Maisie).

I think regarding Jerome’s win, the hurdle is his win would make him only the second person under 30 to win, following Anthony Murphy (17) for “Tom Brown’s Schooldays” in 1973.

boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Even last year, Jesse Plemmons, by the time of the nomination day, had just turned 30.

I had no idea he was that young, even more than Criss.

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

I also have Gibbs in, and I’m getting extreme JCS flashbacks.

That’s why I have of Foxx getting in, he’s the reason why the show got a after-airing media coverage and carried on so seamlessly after the kerfuffle is something I think that performers voting will respect. It’s a long(ish) shot but I think it’ll happen.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s why I have of Foxx getting in

I’m considering him too but the category is already soo crowded unlike last year: Whishaw, Dano, Lange, Skarsgard, Clooney, Chandler, Dorff, Williams, also McRaney, Leguizamo and Butz.
    I’m not excluding the possibility of the 2 Catch-22 actors & Whishaw getting snubbed. It sounds crazy, but with the new system they seem to abstain from name-check situations, although this category last year was the definition of name-check, and AVES aired ages ago and other than that Grant SAG nom we don’t really have any signs actually pointing us at undoubted support for the miniseries.

estrelasdealgeruz
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m considering him too but the category is already soo crowded unlike last year: Whishaw, Dano, Lange, Skarsgard, Clooney, Chandler, Dorff, Williams, also McRaney, Leguizamo and Butz. I’m not excluding the possibility of the 2 Catch-22 actors & Whishaw getting snubbed. It sounds crazy, but with the new system they seem to abstain from name-check situations, although this category last year was the definition of name-check, and AVES aired ages ago and other than that Grant SAG nom we don’t really have any signs actually pointing us at undoubted support for the miniseries.

Whishaw won the Globe, Critics Choice and BAFTA. So he’s the one who’s receiving the praise and the awards for it. Whishaw is definitely getting in. I would argue that Grant is the one in danger of getting snubbed. But i have both getting in.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Whishaw won the Globe, Critics Choice and BAFTA. So he’s the one who’s receiving the praise and the awards for it. Whishaw is definitely getting in. I would argue that Grant is the one in danger of getting snubbed. But i have both getting in.

Ik Ik, I just don’t feel confident 100% lol. He’s getting in, let me be real for a second. It’s just, the only thing he has is the accolades, the rest of the contenders have series/movie contenders as their vehicles. You never know. Yet it’s the acting branch that votes so it doesn’t really matter.

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

I still can’t see Jessie Buckley in the predictions centre. I do think she’s in contention for a nomination now so she should be added as soon as possible.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 476 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Awards Limited Series/TV Movie Predictions (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.