Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open!)

2019 Emmy Awards Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open!)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 469 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +32 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
Riley Chow
Eden
  • Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Did Metz have a good season last year? I tried watching the first season and gave up, largely because I thought Metz’s entire storyline was terrible and that she was terrible in it.

I thought she had more of a storyline in S2 than in S1. Personally, I don’t think she was ever Emmy-worthy tbh, but voters snubbing her was just a clear sign to me that TIU was losing support. The Hartley and Moore snubs also told me that voters aren’t actually watching the show anymore; the four actors who were nominated were also all nominated the year before. I really don’t get some people predicting Moore this year, I really don’t – unless voters are catching up.

Emmy voters must bend the knee to Lena Headey & Emilia Clarke for "Game of Thrones." It's their last chance to award them. Make it happen.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

lacourseauxetoiles wrote:
    Katherine Heigl won at 29 in 2007. It’s possible for young people to win.

But that was when Knocked Up came out and let’s be honest, that win didn’t age too well.

She won because of her stellar submission, not because of some vulgar comedy. And her win did not age well, because people like to hate her and because of her horrible career after that, not because of her undeniable work on Grey’s. Rami Malek, Tatiana Maslany, Darren Criss and Riz Ahmed all won recently being the youngest in their category and all of them looking even younger than they are. If you have the right performance, you can absolutely win versus veterans. I have not seen Ozark yet, but everyone adores Garner. I have seen her in The Americans and she was terrific in every single scene and never let the best drama actor winner of the last decade outshine her.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

even if they give the best performance in the category in the biggest show of the year

This statement is beyond absurd. You have not even watched her performance yet. And she was NEVER the best before that like Kord Dkt very well explained. Gunn, Newton and Aduba are unanimously consider to be better. Aduba gets some some hate here only form delusional GoT fans, Aduba would have beat Headey under any system and voting. Smith gets hate only because it was her third win for that role, but no one can say that Smith does not deserve an award for that iconic character and for stealing every single scene she is in. If that was her first win for Downton, NO ONE would have defended Headey against it.

celine17
    Participant
    Topics:

She won because of her stellar submission, not because of some vulgar comedy. And her win did not age well, because people like to hate her and because of her horrible career after that, not because of her undeniable work on Grey’s

Knocked Up being a hit absolutely help Heigl win because don’t tell me she was ever “undeniable” on Grey’s. Her win was always going to age terribly, long before her career went down the drain.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Besides, Drama Actress isn’t that empty. Between Oh, Linney, Roberts, Comer, Wright, and Clarke there’s a category that makes sense without Moore, and you can even make a reasonable argument for Keeley Hawes and MJ Rodriguez over Moore. I’m predicting Watson making it just because Supporting Actress is empty, but I could definitely see her missing. Also, it really annoys me that Metz got nominated for Season 1 over Winona Ryder and Vanessa Kirby despite both of them having stronger performances in shows that the Emmys liked more. I really don’t understand how that happened.

And I’m not just saying this because of a Viola Davis fan, but I could see her getting name-checked into lead actress, since it’s such a barren field. And before someone says “name-check isn’t going to get you nominated,” just remember that Davis made it into Guest Actress last year, over Marisa Tomei, over Margo Martindale, over Pam Grier, etc. Just saying.

Emmy voters must bend the knee to Lena Headey & Emilia Clarke for "Game of Thrones." It's their last chance to award them. Make it happen.

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Imagine thinking Heigl’s work was undeniable but not Headey’s…

LiberianGirl12
    Participant
    Topics:

The Crown not being eligible is good news and bad news for me.

Bad news because I really like the show and would rather see the new season sooner than later. I also had both Colman and Bonham-Carter at the top of my predictions, so I will have to come up with something else. Shame really, both of them would have been very strong contenders!

Good news because I am a Bodyguard stan and Netflix will now only have Ozark, Bodyguard plus these shows’ 5 main actors / actresses to campaign on in Drama. Netflix are aggressive campaigners, it’s definitely possible all of the above receive nominations. Keeley Hawes’ submission in Lead also makes much more sense now. With Colman out, she has a better chance of making it in.

Now if only Netflix would spend $100m on campaigning for Madden just to beat their only other main contender (Bateman) as @stegeo joked earlier, I would be very happy lol

Seriously, can anyone please explain to me why Bateman is in the lead by far in terms of predicted wins? Just because of his SAG win? The SAG nominations were kind of messy this year, though, and Bateman isn’t all that outstanding, or is he??

Davidpres
    Participant
    Topics:

I thought HBO submitted True Detective as a drama series in its first season? Why is it being considered as a limited series now? Can they change the submission?

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The Emmys changed the rules because they realized that it made no sense that True Detective and Fargo were allowed to submit in separate categories.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t get why there aren’t any shows going up against Game of Thrones. As you said, Homeland could easily be nominated in this field. If The Crown was nominated, it would probably win Actress and Supporting Actress. If Stranger Things was in contention this year, I wouldn’t be shocked if Millie Bobby Brown won, and Winona Ryder could easily get nominated. And The Handmaid’s Tale could easily get the same nominations tally it got last year. Sure, they wouldn’t beat Game of Thrones, but Homeland, Stranger Things, and The Handmaid’s Tale aren’t ever going to win Drama Series again anyways, and The Crown using its much stronger material that it has in Season 4 (Princess Diana and Margaret Thatcher) to win after Game of Thrones would make it much easier for it

I agree with you, but maybe they are afraid the GoT would win in every single category like Breaking Bad did for his last season (only losing direction to True Detective). Maybe they aspire to be more than nominees, I do not know, but even 2-3 months ago it was very clear to me that all shows would do that and I know the reason – this decision was made after the two shocking and undeserving wins of GoT for best Drama and for Dinklage for the generally seen as weak seventh season of GoT, but the 15 fan boys here do not agree. But yeah, it is a record and it is the first time in which not a single Drama nominee from last year is coming back with the exception of This is us that has no choice.

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Anyone who seriously thinks Emilia Clarke and Kit Harington are winning in lead doesn’t deserve to win any Emmys.

Totally agree with you, but I also understand them, GoT two wins from last year beat all the odds: weaker season, shorter season, season that aired more than 1 year ago, zero buzz, zero political or social messages and one completely inexplicable win for Peter Dinklage, it was criticized even by the general public that does not care much about awards, he had so minor and insignificant role during the season, he had a weak tape with just one really good scene in it. That makes the pathetic cowardliness showed by everyone more understandable, but equally pathetic.

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually cannot believe how dead the Drama categories are going to be this year. I mean normally stacked categories like Drama Actress and Supporting Actress are so wide open that Game of Thrones is pretty much locked for four nominations from those alone. My only hope is that the Emmys choose to be interesting with their choices across all of them (Comer, Hawes, Porter, Shaw, Whigham) rather than going basic (Brown, Schreiber, Aduba, Metz, Voight)

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Knocked Up being a hit absolutely help Heigl win because don’t tell me she was ever “undeniable” on Grey’s. Her win was always going to age terribly, long before her career went down the drain.

She was a total fan favorite, she had an incredible tape, she was good in the episodes of Oh and Wilson as well, it is very easy to hate her 12 years later when it seems that she never had any acclaim. It is utterly pathetic to try to explain some win with a vulgar comedy hit, especially during the tape system. She beat two colleagues who were very good as and she was in their tapes as well. So your explanations are absurd and all this to justify that young actresses cannot beat Headey… But okay, let leave Heigl aside, how can you explain the wins of Maslany, Malek, Ahmed and Criss? All of them were also the youngest people in their category, none of them can be explained with the pathetic “name check” and none of them had Oscar nomination (the worst explanation that some of you use) or a comercial movie hit.

Mukund: Imagine thinking Heigl’s work was undeniable but not Headey’s…

I never said that, I said that the win of Heigl in her category in that year with those tapes and nominees is undeniable. This does not meant that I consider her better than Headey or that I am against a possible win for Headey. On the contrary, I like Headey, I would applaud and celebrate her win, I just do not believe in it. Kord perfectly explained how your fan bias makes you blind, what he and I are trying to explain is that she never lose to a weak winner, this makes you sad, but it is the truth. And that she is not that undeniable for a win when you compare her to other of her colleagues or to actresses like Sarah Poulson for AHS who actually lost to a weak performance in the face of Ellen Burstyn for Political Animals, the last real name check win, because Bill Murray had some wide and even critical support for Olive Kitteridge, it was more like a win that went alongside with the passion for the show.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Ivo Stoyanov.
    • This reply was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by  Ivo Stoyanov.
    moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

With news of “The Crown” being out, I’ve now slotted “Bodyguard” in Drama Series, Baranski in Actress, Ventimiglia in Actor and Metz in Supporting Actress. Don’t feel confident in most of those, but my predictions are bound to evolve anyway. Someone tell Netflix to campaign Keeley Hawes in supporting, she can easily get in now. Even though I slotted two “This Is Us” actors, I’m still struggling with this idea of the show getting those nominations when all signs (in a normal year) would point to a continued downward slump. But conceivably, Metz now makes sense to come back this year. I still don’t really have faith in “Homecoming” and I’m only predicting Roberts at this point, but this news does improve its odds in Series and Actor (I can’t imagine they go for Sissy Spacek in this if they never went for her in “Bloodline”). These drama supporting categories are a mess, and I hope that leads to some inspired underdog nominations and not just namechecks of supporting players from the other Drama Series nominees (excluding my belief, as has been this way for weeks now, that all the major “Thrones” actors are getting nominated).

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

My only hope is that the Emmys choose to be interesting with their choices across all of them (Comer, Hawes, Porter, Shaw, Whigham) rather than going basic (Brown, Schreiber, Aduba, Metz, Voight)

That depends entirely of the number of voters that will bother to watch the new shows. And of the number of voters that likes them if they do. Homecoming, for example, is a complete flop, 5 months after his release it has just 10 000 votes and a horrible note of 7.6 (horrible for a TV show and especially for one with so small number of votes). On the other hand, many voters still watch and enjoy Ray Donovan, This is us and Orange is the New Black, so everything is possible.

And pelase stop with The Good Fight, NO ONE watches that and they will never will. I do and I like it, but I do not consider it so great, still, I am one of the 12 000 people that gave him the great note of 8.4 in IMDB, see what I meant about Homecoming now?

Lena Headey could lose to 2 people. Julie Garner could be the “Ozark” award. Or Sissy Spacek just wins a SHE’S AN OSCAR WINNER name check award.

Metz is a no. Her co star is someone I’ve never heard of. They have shown no love to Better Call Saul so I don’t see Seehorn.

Headey has no no desire to campaign. She sometimes never even attends the Emmys or Globes. Her people and this site will have to get out the word SHE’S NEVER WON before. It will help if the performance speaks for itself. Because this last season will be THE TV EVENT of the season.

1. Emmys do not care for Oscar winners and they especially do not care about the poor Sissy Spacek, I have not yet seen a single show with her in, but she has been ignored more than 6 or 7 times already, I liked her in The Old Man and the Gun this year, she deserves some love, from what have heard she is great in Castle Rock, but not a single voter have watched that.

2. No one cares that you do not know who Susan Kelechi Watson, I am sure that many voters do, she is undeniable this season, she made Beth the best character in the show and forced the writers with her talent to give her the spotlight and she did shine. For the ones who were asking, Metz was unbearable in season 2 and it was much worst than in season 1, she is a little better in season 3, but she cannot do anything against Watson. Two of the three daughters of Randall are also superior.

3. Actors do not campaign for Emmys, there some random examples that do it like Henry Winkler last year, but they usually do not. And the four actresses that beat Lena – Newton, Smith, Aduba and Gunn have never campaigned.

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 469 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Awards Nominations (Predictions Center Now Open!)’ is closed to new replies.