Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Awards General Discussion (Part 5)

2019 Emmy Awards General Discussion (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 321 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
2 hours ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
gabarnes43
Riley
lacourseauxet..
  • jjjmoss
    Participant
    Topics:

It remains to be seen where Comer will be placed.

Now there’s an idea. Lead winner Oh, supporting contender comer

ReplyCopy URL
    Sam H
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the biggest hurdle facing Headey is Williams. The writing for Arya was atrocious last season so she had no worthy material to be in the conversation for, but there is a good chance of better material this season, and she looks great in the trailer. She is all but guaranteed for a nom and if she has the material which is also almost guaranteed, I can see her and Headey splitting votes.

ReplyCopy URL
    gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

If Comer goes in Supporting then she’ll win

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

I’d wait to see the quality of season 2 before declaring her a winner. I’m still skeptical on it. I think Oh should be good for a win though, even if reviews aren’t great.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Comer is not supporting by any stretch of the imagination. I don’t know why she would fraud when she has a secure spot in the lead category.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Comer would not be winning over Lena or in any category (especially with that much of blatant category fraud). I get that you stan the show, but this is getting ridiculous.

ReplyCopy URL
    gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see them putting Comer in the supporting category. Someone else suggested it and I think she would win in that category. I think she will be placed in lead but not winning

ReplyCopy URL
    jjjmoss
    Participant
    Topics:

Comer is not supporting by any stretch of the imagination. I don’t know why she would fraud when she has a secure spot in the lead category.

If it gets a win why not. It worked at the Oscars for vikander and davis among others

ReplyCopy URL
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Comer would be the only threat to Lena Headey if she goes supporting.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  ginnala.
    • This reply was modified 1 month ago by  ginnala.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I do not see why Killing Eve would have been WGA-ineligible, but I see that The Playlist says that it was. Bodyguard and Downton Abbey being ineligible makes sense because they were British-set shows that were British-produced (BBC, ITV), but Killing Eve is like The Crown: British-set, but American-produced (BBC America, Netflix).

The way that I see it is that Killing Eve gets nominated if it has a good second season. I just do not think that it will. Jodie Comer is a young, pretty and foreign actress playing a flippant, soulless and comedic character. I do not see her getting into lead. I have Viola Davis because that she was randomly nominated for Scandal and that Cicely Tyson keeps getting in as, say, Laverne Cox comes in and out despite competition as weak as Kelly Jenrette, shows to me that some voters are still checking off the big names in that show—not to the extent that Davis can still make a top-five combined lead-and-supporting field at SAG, but enough to make a top-six in an exceptionally open Emmy field.

Comer is not supporting, but category fraud is a thing, especially for younger, villainous and second-billed co-leads. She can get a supporting nomination because I have no clue about the sixth slot. She cannot win over an iconic role in a sweeping final season (Lena Headey) or a breakout/scene-stealer who has actually been recognized as such by SAG over her (Julia Garner). I am confident about Rhea Seehorn in fifth because the random SAG ensemble nomination and even the random directing nomination to a lesser extent prove to me that the show is drifting around on the fringes and will make it in if the field happens to be weak enough, like for Viola Davis. It also helps that she should have been nominated years ago, so anyone who has been behind on Better Call Saul, but still considers themselves viewers of the show, must have reached her nomination-worthy material by now. Michael McKean should have won for the last season, but his finale was a hanging episode, so he required voters not only to be entirely current on the show, but also not to turn in their ballots until voting closed. It was too tall an order for a branch that is clearly behind on the show at best (and not even watching the show at worst). She is kind of like Nikolaj Coster-Waldau. He was not the first person that anyone was checking off for Game of Thrones, but the triple supporting actress nominations that one year proved that there are voters who are just checking off the performances from the show all over the place and they will get in if the field happens to have enough wiggle room. So Coster-Waldau was able to make it in last year because his category opened up—and because he should have been nominated so many years earlier that lack of name recognition was no longer an obstacle.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

HBO has a new series called Gentleman Jack premiering April 22nd. Another missed chance for Catherine the Great, which as I’ve been saying, will miss the deadline.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Adding Billy Porter and Indya Moore. The article also notes that FX is pushing Better Things.

ReplyCopy URL
    lacourseauxetoiles
    Participant
    Topics:

Adding Billy Porter and Indya Moore. The article also notes that FX is pushing Better Things.

Why do you think Pose will get two acting nominations but miss Series? If it is getting that much support, it should be able to get in over Homecoming. Also, why are you only predicting 5 nominees for Lead Drama Actor at this point?

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Oh no, looks like I accidentally deleted Sterling K. Brown as I was updating my predictions for the category. There go my favourable odds!

I still do not have a lot of faith in Pose having the broad appeal needed to crack series, but Billy Porter seems to be the most acclaimed aspect of the show and was on the cusp of a nomination anyway, so I am thinking that the campaign can push him over the edge. And that sixth slot in supporting actress is just wide open. I had freaking Uzo Aduba before. Homecoming seems like a more straightforward sell, but hey, I only added it recently and in seventh.

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

I had freaking Uzo Aduba before.

Not that stretched imo, lol.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 321 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.