Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Drama Predictions Part 2

2019 Emmy Drama Predictions Part 2

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 533 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
5 days ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
lacourseauxet..
Stegeo
  • gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m not thinking, only hoping for Madden. I just don’t know the Emmys enough to comfortably predict him winning if Bodyguard misses Series.

Im quite confident that Bodyguard will get a series nod, I think Madden will win also

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

People can totally win lead awards without their series being nominated. It’s hard, but it’s been done. Tatiana Maslany, Melissa McCarthy, Toni Collette, Viola Davis, Kyra Sedgwick, Jon Cryer, and Jeff Daniels have all done it within the past decade. It might be a little harder for Madden just because he’s not as big of a name as most of the examples above, but his performance is so phenomenally good that I think he’s got this one down even if Bodyguard doesn’t get series. A very well-deserved win.

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

People can totally win lead awards without their series being nominated. It’s hard, but it’s been done. Tatiana Maslany, Melissa McCarthy, Toni Collette, Viola Davis, Kyra Sedgwick, Jon Cryer, and Jeff Daniels have all done it within the past decade. It might be a little harder for Madden just because he’s not as big of a name as most of the examples above, but his performance is so phenomenally good that I think he’s got this one down even if Bodyguard doesn’t get series. A very well-deserved win.

I think Madden is a bigger name than Maslany, or at least was at the time she won and was nominated the first two times.

FYC Emmys 2019 : Phoebe Waller–Bridge ("Fleabag") for Best Actress in a Comedy Series, Sandra Oh ("Killing Eve") for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Bradley Walsh ("Doctor Who") for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, Keeley Hawes ("Bodyguard") for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, "Maniac", "A Very English Scandal" and "Killing Eve" in all eligible categories.

Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Participant
    Topics:

He’s definitely more known (at least in US) than Maslany was at her first win/nom. Both she and her show are textbook definitions of cult passion picks amongst voters. Bodyguard has been a hit for Netflix and is literally the biggest scripted programme of all the time in the UK (or at least since records began tracking).

Madden profile is definitly grown within the past few months, primarily since the Globe win; he’s just been included on the Time’s 100 Most Influential List; broke the internet because of his friendship / relationship with Brandon Flynn and I’m glad you mentioned McCarthy because her win was additionally fuelled by Bridesmaids, if Rocketman is the hit that Paramount are expecting it to be, then I’m 90% confident that he’s a lock for the win a la Heigel & McCarthy.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Recent final seasons at the Emmys:

The Americans:
    – No Noah Emmerich or Margo Martindale in supporting

The Good Wife:
    – Christine Baranski snubbed after being nominated for all six other seasons
    – Fellow incumbent nominee Alan Cumming also snubbed
    – Previously-nominated-in-supporting Josh Charles snubbed in guest
    – Two-time winner Julianna Margulies not brought back after being dropped the year before, despite being nominated at SAG a few months earlier and despite there being enough goodwill for the end of the show that the writers were nominated for the first time since the pilot

Downton Abbey:
    – Only one acting nomination for the first time in the show’s run, even though it had just won SAG ensemble again
    – Joanne Froggatt snubbed after three nominations, including the two years before
    – Jim Carter snubbed after four consecutive nominations (and not being submitted for the first season)
    – No comeback nomination for Michelle Dockery despite having her best season and only having been dropped the year before
    – No first nomination for Laura Carmichael to recognize her increased role and worthiness over the last two seasons

Mad Men:
    – Robert Morse dropped after five nominations, including the two years before
    – No first nomination for Alison Brie to recognize her contribution
    – No surprise nominations for Kiernan Shipka, James Wolk, John Slattery or Vincent Kartheiser

Breaking Bad:
    – No first nomination for Dean Norris, despite increased role, contribution to series and show having just won SAG ensemble
    – No Betsy Brandt nomination either

Snubbed only for their final seasons:
    – Matt LeBlanc in Episodes
    – Kyle Chandler in Bloodline
    – Don Cheadle in House of Lies
    – Beau Bridges had gotten in both previous times that he had been eligible as a guest for Masters of Sex, but missed for the final season

I predicted a number of these. All of us predicted a lot of these actually. It seems like the goodbye hug is less of a thing than it used to be. So many of the above snubs are inexplicable. Voters do not really seem to be using the nominations phase to recognize performances that they missed before when it is their last chance.

Actors have never been entirely there for Game of Thrones anyway. It has never won SAG ensemble. It experiences major acting snubs every year. I get that it is both huge and bigger than ever, but what about the final season of Breaking Bad? That show went out far bigger than it ever was, with the full support of critics and it had seemingly had the actors’ branch in its pocket, with its SAG wins. How did Dean Norris miss?

lacourseauxetoiles
    Participant
    Topics:

If there was any competition, I’d be predicting Game of Thrones to have surprise acting misses. But there isn’t. The Supporting Actress race is so empty that the only way that Sophie Turner misses (unless if the Academy decides to care about American Horror Story in the acting categories or fully embrace Pose) is for Killing Eve to have such a breakout year that Shaw gets nominated, This Is Us to recover from how much it cratered in support last year, and Rhea Seehorn to get in after years of snubs for Better Call Saul. And even if those things all happen, Williams and Headey are probably safe. And the Supporting Actor field is even more barren, with it being essentially impossible for Coster-Waldau to miss unless if Giancarlo Esposito gets a nom for his Breaking Bad character, Michael Kelly gets in for his worst season of House of Cards after everyone has stopped caring about the show, Peter Mullan gets in off of a wave of Ozark support, and Kieran Culkin gets nominated for Succession despite playing a consistently awful asshole who often isn’t even fun to watch (though it is a good performance). Harington and Clarke could both definitely miss, but everyone else should be fine.

Luca
    Participant
    Topics:

Waldau hands down deserves to win supporting actor IMO, I was so impressed by him in Episode 2. Dinklage has done nothing this season; if he continues to have no material, I will riot. I was fine with his Season 7 win because I did think his performance in the finale was excellent. I wish Emmy voters weren’t so lazy sometimes.

Emmys 2019 FYC: Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones"), Cicely Tyson ("HTGAWM"), Viola Davis ("HTGAWM"), Richard Madden ("Bodyguard"), "Bodyguard," "The Haunting of Hill House" & "Escape at Dannemora" in all categories

AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

The Americans:
    – No Noah Emmerich or Margo Martindale in supporting

I mean, the Academy never really embraced the Americans fully in the first place. It only got its lead actors nominated in 2016, and never got a directing nod. It’s not that surprising that the show didn’t get these nods.

The Good Wife:
    – Christine Baranski snubbed after being nominated for all six other seasons
    – Fellow incumbent nominee Alan Cumming also snubbed
    – Previously-nominated-in-supporting Josh Charles snubbed in guest
    – Two-time winner Julianna Margulies not brought back after being dropped the year before, despite being nominated at SAG a few months earlier and despite there being enough goodwill for the end of the show that the writers were nominated for the first time since the pilot

So my theory has always been that both Christine Baranski, as well as Alan Cumming were largely benefiting from the alphabetical order of the ballot. You are forgetting that 2016 was also the year when the ballot’s order changed, with half the voters getting the ballot in reverse order. I have no doubt in my mind that both Baranski and Cumming would have been dropped sooner had the ballot changed a year or two before. This is because the Academy had already moved on from The Good Wife, with the snubbing of Margulies in 2013 and 2015, Panjabi getting dropped from 2013 onwards, and the show’s best season not getting a series nod in 2014.

Downton Abbey:
    – Only one acting nomination for the first time in the show’s run, even though it had just won SAG ensemble again
    – Joanne Froggatt snubbed after three nominations, including the two years before
    – Jim Carter snubbed after four consecutive nominations (and not being submitted for the first season)
    – No comeback nomination for Michelle Dockery despite having her best season and only having been dropped the year before
    – No first nomination for Laura Carmichael to recognize her increased role and worthiness over the last two seasons

Once again, my theory here is that 2016 being the year when the ballot’s order changed helped get rid of Jim Carter and Joanne Froggatt, and not bring Michelle Dockery back. Carter would probably have been dropped before if the ballot didn’t benefit him. Likewise with Froggatt in 2015.

Breaking Bad:
    – No first nomination for Dean Norris, despite increased role, contribution to series and show having just won SAG ensemble
    – No Betsy Brandt nomination either

This I can’t explain, and this is the only legitimate red flag I see in predicting extra nominations for Throne’s.

Snubbed only for their final seasons:
    – Matt LeBlanc in Episodes
    – Kyle Chandler in Bloodline
    – Don Cheadle in House of Lies
    – Beau Bridges had gotten in both previous times that he had been eligible as a guest for Masters of Sex, but missed for the final season

None of these shows had any support from the Academy.

So I guess what I am trying to say is that, we can largely explain the final seasons of many shows underperforming with nominations. So this year, with Game of Thrones being bigger than ANY show has ever been, with the drama categories having no competition in most categories whatsoever, and with GOT having gotten 5 acting nominations the last time it had a great season and premiered closer to the voting period, and in a year which incorporated the ballot’s order the way it is being used right now – 2016 – I don’t see how GOT doesn’t get at least five to six acting nominations.

forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

Once again, my theory here is that 2016 being the year when the ballot’s order changed helped get rid of Jim Carter and Joanne Froggatt, and not bring Michelle Dockery back. Carter would probably have been dropped before if the ballot didn’t benefit him. Likewise with Froggatt in 2015.

I kind of agree except I’d say Carter was the only one not nominated because of the order change. Froggatt to me was snubbed because it was a show voters were actually watching and she got no material. Meanwhile, I will always maintain that Dockery was snubbed because the producers chose to put Laura Carmichael into Lead as this made it that only voters who REALLY liked Downton would pick them both whilst the rest would only choose one. As Dockery was only just scraping a nomination without Carmichael, the internal competition would definitely have been enough to be the reason it didn’t happen for her.

Vektor
    Participant
    Topics:

There’s one huge problem with comparing GoT to all those final seasons: the drama field is much, much weaker this year than it was in last 10 years. I mean, who will stop *insert third GoT supporting actress contender, prob Turner* from getting in? That category is empty. Same goes for Supporting Actor. The current field for GoT is perfect to break all nomination and win records, because almost all the other prestige shows are on a break. I mean, the fact that Ozark and Killing Eve are their main opponents says it all, those shows would have never been in a Drama Series Top3 in any other year, and it’s not like they will steal acting or below-the-line noms from GoT with an unexpected overperformance.

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

So HBO are submitting Suranne Jones in Drama Lead Actress? Could she make it in? Honestly this woman already deserved an Emmy for Doctor Foster, but it would be upsetting if she got in and Comer didn’t because of her (which is ironic because Comer was also in Doctor Foster).

FYC Emmys 2019 : Phoebe Waller–Bridge ("Fleabag") for Best Actress in a Comedy Series, Sandra Oh ("Killing Eve") for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Bradley Walsh ("Doctor Who") for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, Keeley Hawes ("Bodyguard") for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, "Maniac", "A Very English Scandal" and "Killing Eve" in all eligible categories.

nkb325
    Participant
    Topics:

Do we think Game of Thrones is actually not submitting any guest actors or do they just not want to confirm anyone’s episode count yet?

Unrelated (or related, maybe if this tells us something about her episode count…) a little surprised they’re not submitting Gwendoline Christie with such a fan favorite character and such a big moment in the last episode, but I guess I’m not that surprised. After the episode I was wondering if she could sneak in over Turner but I guess I might be wrong

Joan988
    Participant
    Topics:

Am I the only one that is not impressed by Waldau’s acting here ?

I mean if that is Emmy worthy then let’s give some to the Kardashians.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Joan988.
    • This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  Joan988.
    lacourseauxetoiles
    Participant
    Topics:

Am I the only one that is not impressed by Waldau’s acting here ? I mean if that is Emmy worthy then let’s give some the Kardashians.

Yep, you’re the only one.

Joan988
    Participant
    Topics:

Yep, you’re the only one.

That’s okay, i’m still not impressed though.

He should not be nominated just because he’s a fan favorite, which he’s not btw. Dinklage with no material still acts circles around him.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 533 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Drama Predictions Part 2’ is closed to new replies.