Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Drama Predictions Part 2

2019 Emmy Drama Predictions Part 2

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 533 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
lacourseauxet..
Stegeo
  • Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I guess it’s more about filling the drama races with contenders. Honestly, these shows were never going to be a factor in any series category.

Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The TV Academy had nothing to do with the “Sex Education” move into drama. That was strictly a choice by Netflix.

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s still a strange choice. The whole point of the characters in Sex Ed is for comical purposes (I mean in some cases it’s arguable but definitely in Anderson’s it is largely for comical reasons). Maybe they thought Anderson has a better chance in Drama Supporting Actress than Comedy S.Actress? Maybe they didn’t want to prevent UKS, RD or Glow from getting in?

I still don’t buy that at all though, it’s kind of far-fetched. And even if, nothing is taking down GOT.

I don’t think anyone is suggesting that. Apart from Robb Stark who probably wants to take revenge on Jon Snow and win Best Lead Actor in a Drama Series.

FYC Emmys 2019 : Phoebe Waller–Bridge ("Fleabag") for Best Actress in a Comedy Series, Sandra Oh ("Killing Eve") for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Bradley Walsh ("Doctor Who") for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, Keeley Hawes ("Bodyguard") for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, "Maniac", "A Very English Scandal" and "Killing Eve" in all eligible categories.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Netflix is submitting Robin Wright as the only director for the final season of House of Cards. It’s also the series finale. Also only one episode for writing, very likely to be the finale, too. Cody Fern is in supporting.

We cannot actually tell from that if they are submitting one or two episodes for writing. It is a common misconception that a writing team can only submit one episode, when it is actually that each writer can only submit once, but they might appear on other submissions and that is fine. The best example is when both “Far Away Places” and “The Other Woman” were nominated from the fifth season of Mad Men. Both were credited to Semi Chellas and Matthew Weiner, so the submission paperwork for one episode would have been under one name and the submission paperwork for the other episode would have been under the other name. I am not a fan of this loophole personally. Interesting that they are not submitting any guests, when they normally submit whoever they can, like series regulars Mahershala Ali, Molly Parker and Paul Sparks. Maybe they have a tighter campaign budget? I like that the FYC booklet is understandably all in for Robin Wright, with six quotes about her and five pictures. Michael Kelly gets two quotes and one picture.

And do we know that Amazon is campaigning this much harder than they campaigned The Man in the High Castle for its first season?

I believe that last year was the first that Amazon sent out a screener for an individual show, with The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, as opposed to bundling it with its others. There are other means of campaigning of course, but I consider the screener game the most valuable.

I’m 3 episodes into Homecoming right now, and I’m kind of baffled by why people think this will be a contender in the Series race and the acting races other than Lead Actress and maybe Guest Actor. It didn’t perform well at the guilds. It doesn’t have a large viewership (it only has 11,614 ratings on IMDB). None of the actors other than Roberts, James, and White have much to do, and even Roberts and James don’t have particularly showy roles.

Bobby Cannavale is showy after that. Succession only has 6168 ratings and Pose has 6964, so it is slim pickings because it is guaranteed that one of these three is getting in. It says something to me that Amazon seems to have chosen Homecoming as their drama push over Jack Ryan, which has 46 088 ratings, given that voters do not have screeners of the latter at this time. This is the network that swept the comedy genre last year and they have a new drama with good reviews starring American’s (Oscar-winning) sweetheart, so I am trying not to overthink this one. It is not the greatest, but it is a weak year for the field and with the episodes being so short, it is quite watchable. This is not The Looming Tower.

DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

I really hope that awful House of Cards season won’t be nominated for much. Will be a disgrace for all other nominees, and especially for better shows that got snubbed

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

Interesting that they are not submitting any guests, when they normally submit whoever they can, like series regulars Mahershala Ali, Molly Parker and Paul Sparks. Maybe they have a tighter campaign budget?

That’s weird. I thought Patricia Clarkson and Constance Zimmer would be eligible, but according to IMDB they appeared in at least four out of eight episodes.

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Wright deserves all the noms and awards but if Kelly and the writers get nominated that’ll be a bigger joke than a Series nom. They ruined what could’ve been one of its best seasons. But then again, they were only given a month instead of several for rewrites so it’s understandable for the writers, Kelly however…

ospencer
    Participant
    Topics:

I watched the first episode of GOT. I will try to be caught up in time for the Emmys. The pilot was intriguing, I’m interested.

lacourseauxetoiles
    Participant
    Topics:

Why isn’t Sarah Snook an option in the predictions center? I’d vote for her if I could and I can’t see HBO not submitting her for Succession.

agorretta
    Participant
    Topics:

She’s being submitted in lead, not supporting. She’s in lead in the predictions center.

lacourseauxetoiles
    Participant
    Topics:

Thanks. I guess that makes sense if HBO doesn’t want another supporting contender who could knock out Sophie Turner. I doubt Snook will make it in lead, but I wouldn’t be too shocked if she did.

agorretta
    Participant
    Topics:

I haven’t watched Succession yet. How is it? Who do you think is the best in the cast? There doesn’t seem to be a clear consensus. That’s why I’m struggling with predicting it for acting, other than James Cromwell in guest.

lacourseauxetoiles
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m 3 episodes in, so this can all obviously change, but here are my thoughts.

Sarah Snook is definitely the strongest so far. She has a good role that allows her to be manipulative but without being easily hateable, she regularly gets biting insults in, and she does great acting with a lot of her facial expressions. However, she is more of a supporting character at this point and while I think she’d be 4th in Supporting, she’s probably 7th or 8th in Lead (depending on how seriously you take Paulson’s chances, which I still haven’t figured out how to evaluate).

Jeremy Strong is the show’s straight man. He’s great, but he’s less showy than Snook and Culkin (though he is the true lead of the show at this point and has more screentime than anyone else). He’s a pitiable character who seems to be the least malicious of the main characters, but is lacking of bit of the competitive edge that they have and sounds pathetic when he tries to have that edge. If Cox was going Supporting, I’d predict Strong making it in if the field has 7 nominees, but the vote-split between the two will make it harder (if Cox has more to do later in the season, since he hasn’t gotten much material yet).

Kieran Culkin is somewhat of a one-note character. He’s a massive asshole who is constantly insulting everyone and parading around his lack of sensibility. While it is one-note, it is still entertaining for the most part, and if it’s a note that the Emmys respond to, he’ll get nominated. I’m currently predicting him.

Matthew Macfadyen has much less to do. He plays Snook’s boyfriend who works at the company, and while he had a couple good scenes in the second episode, nothing really stood out to me. I doubt he has a chance.

Brian Cox was good in the first episode, but so far it seems like he should be in supporting and I’d imagine most people who actually watch the show will vote for Strong before him, so I can’t see him making it at this point.

Cromwell hasn’t appeared in any of the episodes I’ve seen so far, so I can’t judge him.

gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Nominations Ranking

Best Drama Series

1. Game Of Thrones
    2. Killing Eve
    3. Better Call Saul
    4. Ozark
    5. This is Us
    6. Bodyguard
    7. Homecoming
    8. Succession
    9. Pose
    10. American Horror Story: Apocalypse

Best Lead Actress:

1. Sandra Oh- Killing Eve
    2. Laura Linney- Ozark
    3. Emilia Clarke- Game Of Thrones 
    4. Jodie Comer- Killing Eve
    5. Julia Roberts- Homecoming
    6. Robin Wright- House Of Cards
    7. Christine Baranski- The Good Fight
    8. Sarah Paulson- American Horror Story 
    9. Keeley Hawes- Bodyguard
    10. Viola Davis- How to Get Away with Murder

Best Lead Actor:

1. Richard Madden- Bodyguard
    2. Jason Bateman- Ozark 
    3. Bob Odenkirk- Better Call Saul
    4. Sterling K Brown- This is Us
    5. Milo Ventimiglia- This is Us
    6. Kit Harington- Game of Thrones 
    7. Billy Porter- Pose
    8. Brian Cox- Succession
    9. Stephan James- Homecoming

Best Supporting Actress: Likely to Get Nominated, so not who I think will win

1. Lena Headey- Game of Thrones
    2. Julia Garner- Ozark
    3. Rhea Seehorn- Better Call Saul
    4. Maisie Williams- Game of Thrones 
    5. Fiona Shaw- Killing Eve
    6. Sophie Turner- Game of Thrones
    7. Chrissy Metz- This is Us
    8. Susan Kelechi Watson- This is Us
    9. Kathy Bates- American Horror Story
    10. Frances Conroy- American Horror Story
    Luca
    Participant
    Topics:

Hawes doesn’t deserve to be nominated in lead actress. Anyone who’s seen the show knows why.

Emmys 2019 FYC: Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones"), Cicely Tyson ("HTGAWM"), Viola Davis ("HTGAWM"), Richard Madden ("Bodyguard"), "Bodyguard," "The Haunting of Hill House" & "Escape at Dannemora" in all categories

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 533 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Drama Predictions Part 2’ is closed to new replies.