Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Drama Predictions Part 2

2019 Emmy Drama Predictions Part 2

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 533 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 days ago
( +7 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
lacourseauxet..
Stegeo
  • gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Hawes doesn’t deserve to be nominated in lead actress. Anyone who’s seen the show knows why.

I watched the show recently, if they campaigned her as supporting she would be a lock for nomination and a threat to win. Based on episode submitting, I suppose you could argue that in episode 2 and 3 she is a co lead, she doesn’t appear until the last half in episode 1 and not at all in episodes 4, 5 and 6. I think that if the show does extremely well in nominations getting nods for Series, Actor, Writing and Directing then I think there is a chance that she could get nominated but I don’t think it will happen.

Luca
    Participant
    Topics:

I watched the show recently, if they campaigned her as supporting she would be a lock for nomination and a threat to win. Based on episode submitting, I suppose you could argue that in episode 2 and 3 she is a co lead, she doesn’t appear until the last half in episode 1 and not at all in episodes 4, 5 and 6. I think that if the show does extremely well in nominations getting nods for Series, Actor, Writing and Directing then I think there is a chance that she could get nominated but I don’t think it will happen.

I don’t know if I agree with that, but she’d definitely have more of a chance of getting in. Richard Madden is Bodyguard’s lead, and its only lead. Maybe I missed it, but were people talking about Hawes’ performance?

Emmys 2019 FYC: Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones"), Cicely Tyson ("HTGAWM"), Viola Davis ("HTGAWM"), Richard Madden ("Bodyguard"), "Bodyguard," "The Haunting of Hill House" & "Escape at Dannemora" in all categories

gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

I actually thought she had a great performance, especially in episode 2. She’s been getting lots of praise and attention from the UK, including a BAFTA nomination for Best Leading Actress.

LiberianGirl12
    Participant
    Topics:

Keeley Hawes should not be in Lead, but I guess it’s inevitable since the BBC submitted her in Lead for the BAFTAs too and she was nominated there.

That said, she will have a brilliant submission with episode 2 in which she was at least co-lead. She showed a very wide range of emotions in this episode, not to mention the awesome (and very flashy!) sniper scene which she sold 100%.

I think if Bodyguard overperformes in terms of nominations, Hawes might get in too. Maybe it’s not such a bad thing she is going Lead for the Emmys (although it is kind of category fraud), since Supporting will be stacked with GoT actresses. Lead is more barren and I don’t have as much faith in Roberts and Wright others seem to have. So that might open up a chance for Hawes.

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t know if I agree with that, but she’d definitely have more of a chance of getting in. Richard Madden is Bodyguard’s lead, and its only lead. Maybe I missed it, but were people talking about Hawes’ performance?

Before it was available to be binged on Netflix, in the UK, Bodyguard was beig advertised as having two big UK television actors as it’s leads. But I will now shut up before I inevitably accidentally spoil the show.

FYC Emmys 2019 : Phoebe Waller–Bridge ("Fleabag") for Best Actress in a Comedy Series, Gillian Anderson ("Sex Education") for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series, "Killing Eve" for Best Drama Series, Sandra Oh ("Killing Eve") for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Bradley Walsh ("Doctor Who") for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, Fiona Shaw ("Killing Eve") for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, "Maniac", "A Very English Scandal" and "Mrs Wilson in all eligible categorie

gaboca
    Participant
    Topics:

Not only is Hawes not a lead, but even among the supporting cast there were some who would be in my view more nomination worthy, such as Rundle and especially Mohindra. But prior to its airing in the UK the show had been primarily promoted with Hawes, who used to be the bigger name.

Luca
    Participant
    Topics:

Mohindra was sooooo good in her little screen time. Her final scene made my skin crawl.

Emmys 2019 FYC: Lena Headey ("Game of Thrones"), Cicely Tyson ("HTGAWM"), Viola Davis ("HTGAWM"), Richard Madden ("Bodyguard"), "Bodyguard," "The Haunting of Hill House" & "Escape at Dannemora" in all categories

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

Shame she hasn’t been recognised by anyone, not even BAFTA. But that is largely due to the race controversy surrounding Bodyguard which is a discussion for another time.

Not only is Hawes not a lead, but even among the supporting cast there were some who would be in my view more nomination worthy, such as Rundle and especially Mohindra. But prior to its airing in the UK the show had been primarily promoted with Hawes, who used to be the bigger name.

I feel like if Bodyguard was nominated in the supporting categories, it should be for Mohindra or McKee. I felt like Rundle’s performance really  wasn’t as good as McKee’s or even Hawes for the matter of a fact. It’s a shame Hawes hasn’t gotten a BAFTA for her other work or even an Emmy nod because she is an outstanding actress (p.s. I currently think she is a threat for her BAFTA this year because of her overdue narrative and can upset Comer [at the BAFTA’s]).

FYC Emmys 2019 : Phoebe Waller–Bridge ("Fleabag") for Best Actress in a Comedy Series, Gillian Anderson ("Sex Education") for Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series, "Killing Eve" for Best Drama Series, Sandra Oh ("Killing Eve") for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Bradley Walsh ("Doctor Who") for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, Fiona Shaw ("Killing Eve") for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, "Maniac", "A Very English Scandal" and "Mrs Wilson in all eligible categorie

LiberianGirl12
    Participant
    Topics:

I agree about Mohindra and it’s a shame that Rundle didn’t really have the material to shine. I really like Rundle, but Mrs Budd was my least favourite character in Bodyguard. She did her best given the material, but I don’t think she is competitive for a nomination for season 1.

Hopefully, in season 2, we will perhaps get to see why and how Mr and Mrs Budd’s marriage broke down to the point Vicky has gotten so icy cold (downright mean at times) to her husband. Then Rundle could really knock it out of the park and hopefully get recognized more. But idk, season 2 hasn’t even been confirmed yet, so who knows.

Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Jodie Comer has been doing tons of interviews and photoshoots. I don’t see how she could miss on a nomination this year.

Luca
    Participant
    Topics:

And she shouldn’t.

lacourseauxetoiles
    Participant
    Topics:

Here are my predictions. The predicted nominees are bolded. If John Bradley ends up being submitted for Game of Thrones, I’d have him in 4th in Supporting Actor.

Series

1. Game of Thrones
    2. Better Call Saul
    3. Ozark
    4. Killing Eve
    5. This Is Us
    6. Succession
    7. Bodyguard
    8. Homecoming
    9. Pose
    10. House of Cards

Actress

1. Sandra Oh, Killing Eve
    2. Laura Linney, Ozark
    3. Julia Roberts, Homecoming
    4. Jodie Comer, Killing Eve
    5. Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones
    6. Robin Wright, House of Cards
    7. Sarah Snook, Succession
    8. Sarah Paulson, American Horror Story: Apocalypse
    9. Viola Davis, How to Get Away with Murder
    10. MJ Rodriguez, Pose
    11. Mandy Moore, This Is Us
    12. Christine Baranski, The Good Fight
    13. Keeley Hawes, Bodyguard

Actor

1. Richard Madden, Bodyguard
    2. Jason Bateman, Ozark
    3. Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
    4. Sterling K. Brown, This Is Us
    5. Milo Ventimiglia, This Is Us
    6. Kit Harington, Game of Thrones
    7. Billy Porter, Pose
    8. Jeremy Strong, Succession
    9. Brian Cox, Succession
    10. Stephan James, Homecoming
    11. John Krasinski, Jack Ryan

Supporting Actress

1. Julia Garner, Ozark
    2. Lena Headey, Game of Thrones
    3. Maisie Williams, Game of Thrones
    4. Sophie Turner, Game of Thrones
    5. Rhea Seehorn, Better Call Saul
    6. Fiona Shaw, Killing Eve
    7. Susan Kelechi Watson, This Is Us
    8. Chrissy Metz, This Is Us
    9. Indya Moore, Pose
    10. Uzo Aduba, Orange Is the New Black
    11. Frances Conry, American Horror Story: Apocalypse
    12. Kathy Bates, American Horror Story: Apocalypse
    13. Adina Porter, American Horror Story: Apocalypse
    14. Sissy Spacek, Homecoming

Supporting Actor

1. Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
    2. Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Game of Thrones
    3. Jonathan Banks, Better Call Saul
    4. Kieran Culkin, Succession
    5. Peter Mullan, Ozark
    6. Giancarlo Espositio, Better Call Saul
    7. Michael Kelly, House of Cards
    8. Bobby Cannavale, Homecoming
    9. Justin Hartley, This Is Us
    10. Shea Whigham, Homecoming
    stuffy
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s a shame Hawes hasn’t gotten a BAFTA for her other work or even an Emmy nod because she is an outstanding actress (p.s. I currently think she is a threat for her BAFTA this year because of her overdue narrative and can upset Comer [at the BAFTA’s]).

I think if it’s the overdue narrative that gets her a BAFTA award, it’ll be for Mrs. Wilson in supporting. I think Comer is winning BAFTA.

Also were Bodyguard and Mrs. Wilson both BBC shows? Maybe they went Bodyguard for lead to get the double nominations which ended up happening.

It’s still a crime she doesn’t have a major award for Line of Duty. I say it over and over, but she’s sooo good in it. I can’t believe she didn’t win. I don’t count the British critics award (forgot the name) because it covered three roles that year.

Netflix is going to have to go all out for Bodyguard to get Keeley a nomination. I don’t think a British actress, unknown to many in the US, is going to motivate them to campaign hard for her. The two things she has going for her is that many say Bodyguard’s quality dropped when she wasn’t in the other episodes, and she has a great episode for submission.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks ago by  stuffy.
    gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

Bodyguard and Mrs Wilson were both BBC shows. I think Comer is almost a lock and I would be shocked if she doesn’t win BAFTA. I think Hawes will and should win for Supporting, although Fiona Shaw could be a threat if they decide to give everything to Killing Eve

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

I think if it’s the overdue narrative that gets her a BAFTA award, it’ll be for Mrs. Wilson in supporting. I think Comer is winning BAFTA. Also were Bodyguard and Mrs. Wilson both BBC shows? Maybe they went Bodyguard for lead to get the double nominations which ended up happening. It’s still a crime she doesn’t have a major award for Line of Duty. I say it over and over, but she’s sooo good in it. I can’t believe she didn’t win. I don’t count the British critics award (forgot the name) because it covered three roles that year. Netflix is going to have to go all out for Bodyguard to get Keeley a nomination. I don’t think a British actress, unknown to many in the US, is going to motivate them to campaign hard for her. The two things she has going for her is that many say Bodyguard’s quality dropped when she wasn’t in the other episodes, and she has a great episode for submission.

I think with Hawes, people in the States (like Sally Field if you saw Graham Norton last week) just know her from being in period dramas on PBS (The Durrells, Upstairs Downstairs) and for being in the Life on Mars spin off, Ashes to Ashes (that’s a very niche crowd though).

It is criminal that she did not win the BAFTA for Line of Duty, one of the best performances on British television ever and on television this decade.

Bodyguard and Mrs Wilson were both BBC shows. I think Comer is almost a lock and I would be shocked if she doesn’t win BAFTA. I think Hawes will and should win for Supporting, although Fiona Shaw could be a threat if they decide to give everything to Killing Eve

That depends though for Shaw to have a chance at Supporting. At the moment, I think all four BAFTA nominated Supporting Actresses have a chance.

1. Keeley Hawes – Outstanding performance, outstanding submission, overdue
    2. Monica Dolan – Outstanding performance, screamy outstanding character performance in a submission, awards darling in one of BAFTA’s most loved and biggest shows of 2018
    3. Fiona Shaw – In one of BAFTA’s most loved and biggest shows of 2018.
    4. Billie Piper – never won and often snubbed. She had a small role but she has some scenes in episodes which could turn it in her favour. Both her and Shaw are dark horses.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 533 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Drama Predictions Part 2’ is closed to new replies.