Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Drama Predictions (Part 6)

2019 Emmy Drama Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 295 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
50 years ago
( +22 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
Pulp
ginnala
  • Chris Beachum
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Keep the drama predictions going in Part 6.

AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

Contrary to everyone else, I’m not predicting KILLING EVE for a Drama Series nomination. And I’m quite confident in that regard. Apart from stats not favoring it, it also isn’t the type of show that gets in just because of buzz for a less than stellar Second season. It’s not The Americans.

I believe SUCCESSION is going to have a great nomination morning. Double nominations abound. Cox & Strong, Culkin & MacFadyen, Directing and Writing.

Sarah Paulson and Kathy Bates will get rubber stamped. The landscape is bare. They only have new shows to compete with. Shows trying to get into the Emmys for the first time.

I have Indya Moore in for POSE. It’s a gut feeling that I just cannot shake. Perfect category (not that competitive), and she owned Season 1.

Jus
    Participant
    Topics:

^ tbh, I also suspect KE is not happening in Best Drama.

I still have it in my prediction but it’s more of wishful thinking.
    Probably leave it out of it just before noms.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 1 day ago by  Jus.
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t get the The Americans comparison.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I saw people were discussing Baranski, but I still don’t see her happening. TGF should have gotten in, as I’ve said many times before, people like Carrie Preston and Dylan Baker for the first season, Alan Alda & Margo Martindale for the second one, and Baranski for that pilot. Instead of Baranski in 2017, they went with a third consecutive nod for Davis.

Look, I love this show, I am currently catching up on it. Baranski would have had an amazing tape with the pilot and is doing great stuff in the second season (haven’t seen the third yet), but I can’t be the only one who feels like she’s sometimes a supporting actor on her own show?

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

She is definitely a supporting player. I love the show though. Too bad more people don’t watch CBS All Access.

AviChristiaans
    Participant
    Topics:

You don’t? Both spy-thrillers, albeit different in their delivery.

Both critically acclaimed dramas (Critics Choice + TCA), with a very vocal fanbase.

It took The Americans 4 years to breakout at the Emmys. With continued improvement in each season.

Killing Eve is gonna do it….Season 2, with a less than stellar season? With less raves, less viewers, less enthusiasm?

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

She is definitely a supporting player. I love the show though. Too bad more people don’t watch CBS All Access.

Robert & Michelle King deserve a writing nomination; some seasons of The Good Wife were a bit rocky, but when they had their strong episodes, they were STRONG. And the same can be said about The Good Fight. They balance comedy with drama so well, and their dialogue is just so smart. Plus, talk about a show that is relevant.

Jus
    Participant
    Topics:

I assume it’s not prestige drama (someone made similar argument in other thread). Tho it’s not the reason why I have a bad feeling about KE lack of nom.

A bit off topic, but KE not having strong “prestigious” vibe is one of my favorite things about this show. I want for it to remain a bit unhinged till the very end, lol.

edit:
    oh sorry, AviChristiaans already explained it.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Instead of Baranski in 2017, they went with a third consecutive nod for Davis.

It’s so unrealistic to think Baranski could have gotten in for the first season. This show was never about to break out immediately with major above the line noms. And I think that goes for Alda and Martindale too. Them not getting in last year doesn’t mean the support isn’t ever going to be there, it just means it hasn’t been there yet. But it seems obvious to me that more people are watching this show every year, so it’s chances are increasing each year too. We don’t know how close it was to breaking through last year, maybe it was one of the first few out in some categories. And of course the drama categories are wide open this year.

You don’t? Both spy-thrillers, albeit different in their delivery. Both critically acclaimed dramas (Critics Choice + TCA), with a very vocal fanbase. It took The Americans 4 years to breakout at the Emmys. With continued improvement in each season. Killing Eve is gonna do it….Season 2, with a less than stellar season? With less raves, less viewers, less enthusiasm?

I don’t think The Americans had anywhere near the amount of mainstream buzz KE has. It was really more of just a critics thing.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

It’s so unrealistic to think Baranski could have gotten in for the first season. This show was never about to break out immediately with major above the line noms. And I think that goes for Alda and Martindale too. Them not getting in last year doesn’t mean the support isn’t ever going to be there, it just means it hasn’t been there yet. But it seems obvious to me that more people are watching this show every year, so it’s chances are increasing each year too. We don’t know how close it was to breaking through last year, maybe it was one of the first few out in some categories. And of course the drama categories are wide open this year.

Believe it or not, but people were leaving out Davis in 2017 to slot in Baranski. Gold Derby was also, somewhat confidently, predicting nods for Preston and Baker. Baranski could get in, but I won’t believe it until I see it. I feel somewhat confident in my actress top 6 and would actually consider Paulson & Davis more likely threats to get in than Baranski. We’re probably in for a whole lot of surprises on Tuesday morning, and I cannot wait.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Believe it or not, but people were leaving out Davis in 2017 to slot in Baranski. Gold Derby was also, somewhat confidently, predicting nods for Preston and Baker.

Just because goldderby is predicting something doesn’t mean it makes any sense.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I totally agree, especially this year. I’m going out on limbs in so many different places.

sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Contrary to everyone else, I’m not predicting KILLING EVE for a Drama Series nomination.

Same, I also don’t have Comer getting in. Instead, I also have Sarah Paulson being name-checked.

believe SUCCESSION is going to have a great nomination morning. Double nominations abound. Cox & Strong,

I have Strong, Macfadyen, and Culkin. I think Cox will get in only if there is a tie in that category.

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Are we underestimating…Mandy Moore? She could have been 7 last year. Considering This Is Us has won Best Ensemble at SAG again and Emmys love make up nods, I wouldn’t be surprised if she happens. At least she makes more sense than Baranski to me.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 295 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Drama Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.