Home Forums Television 2019 Emmy Drama Predictions (Part 6)

2019 Emmy Drama Predictions (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 295 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
50 years ago
( +22 hidden )
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
Pulp
ginnala
  • Anthony 🐜
    Participant
    Topics:

You’re coming across as someone that dislikes Game of Thrones (which is fair enough) and is letting that cloud actual predictions. Having said that, I wouldn’t call Clarke a ‘lock’ purely because she’s never got into this category before and has missed nominations before.

It’s actually the other way around. People’s love for Game of Thrones is clouding their judgement with predictions. You know… predicting with their hearts instead of their heads. The same way people went all ROMA and The Favourite last year, until the very end.

A record +30 nominations are being predicted for the show. Up from 23 nominations.

Lead Actor + Lead Actress nominations, which it has never gotten before. Possible wins for Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress (Heady + Williams) and Lead Actress (Clarke) are floating around.

All for a highly controversial and universally panned season of television.

OK. It’s basically going to pull a Breaking Bad?

For the record, I love Game of Thrones. But not that much.

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

House of Cards over-performed at the Emmys last time in a stronger field with similar critical reviews as the current season and proved yet again that it probably will with its over-performance and nod increase at the guilds. Yet, Baranski will still somehow get in over Wright for a show on a service that most people don’t even know exists because of a TCA nom. Make it make sense.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Bebe
    Participant
    Topics:

As per the GoldDerby article about Janet McTeer in Ozark by Luca…

I’ve been thinking, if she can get nominated in Supporting Actress, she will probably win the Emmy! She would have a lot going for:

1) Amazing supporting performance (critically-acclaimed)
    2) On a hot (newer) series (Ozark’s about to double+ their Emmy nom count)
    3) Highly respected actress (2-Time Academy Award Nominee, Tony Award winner, former Emmy nominee)

Her main competition would be the GOT ladies (canceling each other out), her co-star (who would suffer from being a young nominee) and we don’t know if Susan will be nom’d. She would stand an excellent shot at winning… once again… the KEY being IF she can get nominated.

Janet McTeer had a nice presence, but she barely had anything to do. Most of her character was emotionless and stoic. She was much better in the fifth season of “Damages.” Hopefully she’ll have juicer material for Season 3.

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Transphobia now, and that user still isn’t banned?

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

My McTeer article was definitely about her getting nominated, not necessarily winning. I think it’d be interesting if she did make it, because she was enough of a presence to still some votes from Garner. After all, she is playing one of the big bads of the season, which Emmy voters are suckers for.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Clarke’s big moments all felt like acting this season. I thought “Wow, she is really working to contort her face through an array of emotions.” It was always Emilia Clarke in those moments, not Daenerys Targaryen. I never thought that with Gwendoline Christie or Maisie Williams. That said, I could still see Clarke getting in, but I don’t get all the praise she’s getting.

Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone think with Kevin Spacey in the news will result in last minute votes for Robin Wright?

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Votings over so no, but the Spacey scandal will definitely get Wright and Kelly plenty of sympathy votes. That’s basically the only reason I’m predicting them.

Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

I think for me, one of the hardest categories to predict is Drama Supporting Actor.

I feel like Bobby Cannavale is one of those predictions that Gold Derby has for the entire season that in retrospect, seems obvious that they would be snubbed, like Noah Schnapp for Stranger Things last year. Like Schnapp, he has shown up at no precursors, but people believe he will be carried in by the buzz of the show and the strength of the performance.

Cannavale was great in the series– he would be my choice to win– but I have a hard time believing that Homecoming will really be embraced or that people watched it/remember it enough for him to get in.

Another person in this category that is giving me a headache is Michael Kelly. Since House of Cards missed last year’s eligibility, the Emmys have gone a cycle without him. I think the reason Michael Kelly had such a good run was just because there was always a spot for him as part of House of Cards’ annual nomination tally.

If this is true, I really don’t think that Michael Kelly will be able to survive missing a cycle, since House of Cards is likely missing series and Spacey is obviously not in the picture. I see no justification to have him in my predictions, as I feel the place for House of Cards this year is a “we’re sorry” nomination for Robin Wright, the stronger name and face of the show.

My dilemma is that if I remove both Bobby Cannavale and Michael Kelly I have two spots vacant that I have absolutely no idea who to fill them with. Do people have any justifications for some more out-of-left field Drama Supporting Actor predictions? I could really use some.

Ted Stevenson
    Participant
    Topics:

I’ve been trying to find this answer and haven’t yet, so apologies if this has already been discussed (as I’m sure it has). Just let me know / link me to it if this is bothersome!!

If KILLING EVE and FLEABAG are both nominated for Best Drama Series and Best Comedy Series, respectively, whose company would Phoebe Waller-Bridge join for having 2 shows they created nominated for opposite mantels in the same year? There can’t be that many people on the list, right?

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I think for me, one of the hardest categories to predict is Drama Supporting Actor. I feel like Bobby Cannavale is one of those predictions that Gold Derby has for the entire season that in retrospect, seems obvious that they would be snubbed, like Noah Schnapp for Stranger Things last year. Like Schnapp, he has shown up at no precursors, but people believe he will be carried in by the buzz of the show and the strength of the performance. Cannavale was great in the series– he would be my choice to win– but I have a hard time believing that Homecoming will really be embraced or that people watched it/remember it enough for him to get in. Another person in this category that is giving me a headache is Michael Kelly. Since House of Cards missed last year’s eligibility, the Emmys have gone a cycle without him. I think the reason Michael Kelly had such a good run was just because there was always a spot for him as part of House of Cards’ annual nomination tally. If this is true, I really don’t think that Michael Kelly will be able to survive missing a cycle, since House of Cards is likely missing series and Spacey is obviously not in the picture. I see no justification to have him in my predictions, as I feel the place for House of Cards this year is a “we’re sorry” nomination for Robin Wright, the stronger name and face of the show. My dilemma is that if I remove both Bobby Cannavale and Michael Kelly I have two spots vacant that I have absolutely no idea who to fill them with. Do people have any justifications for some more out-of-left field Drama Supporting Actor predictions? I could really use some.

I don’t have Cannavale because I just don’t see the show doing well with acting nominations. I don’t really have any reason to say that, to me it just doesn’t seem like the type of show the actors usually go for.

I’d suggest Peter Mullan and Matthew Macfayden to replace Cannavale and Kelly. Maybe Giancarlo Esposito? He did have some stand out scenes (though certainly not a standout for the season as a whole, but still) and I think that show is going to perform better than ever.

Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

I feel like Bobby Cannavale is one of those predictions that Gold Derby has for the entire season that in retrospect, seems obvious that they would be snubbed, like Noah Schnapp for Stranger Things last year. Like Schnapp, he has shown up at no precursors, but people believe he will be carried in by the buzz of the show and the strength of the performance. Cannavale was great in the series– he would be my choice to win– but I have a hard time believing that Homecoming will really be embraced or that people watched it/remember it enough for him to get in.

In such a weak category, I think Cannavale’s name recognition and good performance can get him in.

Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I know he didn’t have nearly as much screentime but I’d so much rather see Shea Whigham nominated instead of Cannavale.

I’ve been trying to find this answer and haven’t yet, so apologies if this has already been discussed (as I’m sure it has). Just let me know / link me to it if this is bothersome!! If KILLING EVE and FLEABAG are both nominated for Best Drama Series and Best Comedy Series, respectively, whose company would Phoebe Waller-Bridge join for having 2 shows they created nominated for opposite mantels in the same year? There can’t be that many people on the list, right?

David E. Kelley for The Practice and Ally McBeal, but that’s all I know of

Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Did you contact all the haters and all the book fans and they said so? Because quite literally nobody’s talking about her performance. All the so-called praise is coming off the Internet and it’s not as massive as y’all try to make it look. It’s non-existent at this point.

This is a huge lie. Her performance is the only unanimously praised thing this season. I do not need to call anyone, I just read what people think in the real world. I was the first and basically the only person on this forum to call the backlash that GoT received this season. In any YouTube video or Facebook/ Instagram post Clarke is the most praised thing on the season, there are thousands of videos dedicated to her performance, fans even collected a massive amount of money for her charity organization in a sign of gratitude for her performance this season.

Also, many actors praised her on her Instagram page, many, many actors.

You know who got ZERO praise from actors (no Reese Witherspoon either)? Baranski and Paulson (for Apocalypse), but you are still predicting both of them. It is ironic to speak about fan bias when you (the biggest Paulson fan) are still predicting her for such an irrelevant season (before you decide to accuse me of being a hater towards Apocalypse, you can check the thread about it and to see that I loved the season and Paulson’s performance, but Clarke was 10 times better during season 8).

madeline
    Participant
    Topics:

LMFAO. Do I have to mention again all the household names that praised Paulson’s direction and acting duties this season? You seriously thing you know everything and you are so wrong all the times. You obviously don’t follow Reese because, actually, she got the praise. Try again tomorrow.

And yes I predict both Paulson and Baranski because I WANT TO. Do I have to get your permission for that too? They’re MY predictions and I’m gonna predict whoever the hell I WANT. Jesus. Learn some manners.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 295 total)

The topic ‘2019 Emmy Drama Predictions (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.