Home Forums Television 2019 Emmys: Best Comedy Series – What are your Top 7 predictions?

2019 Emmys: Best Comedy Series – What are your Top 7 predictions?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Guest 2018
Emmyfan
Andrew D
  • Paul Sheehan
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I’ve got the following as the nominees, in order of likelihood of winning:

“The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel”
    “Veep”
    “Barry”
    “The Kominsky Method”
    “GLOW”
    “The Good Place”
    “Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt”

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  Paul Sheehan.
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

1.Veep
    2.The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    3.Barry
    4.GLOW
    5.Russian Doll
    6.The Good Place
    7.Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt

ReplyCopy URL
    moviefan617
    Participant
    Topics:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Veep
    Barry
    GLOW
    The Good Place
    Black-ish
    Russian Doll

I can see The Kominsky Method and/or Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt replacing Black-ish and/or Russian Doll, but I don’t think any other show has a shot in the race at this time.

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Veep are obviously in, and the quality of that last season of Veep will likely dictate who wins. Barry is in a good spot due to the nominations it racked up last year, and even if there is a quality decline in season two, it is still probably safe. GLOW had a better second season than its Emmy-nominated first, so it should be safe. A summer premiere like last time should help solidify that second Comedy Series nomination. The Good Place seems poised for a breakthrough here a la Parks and Recreation for its third season. Russian Doll is definitely one of the breakout comedies of the season, and it even had mainstream success, but it is a weird show and maybe still too small to gain the necessary support for a nomination. Black-ish is not the awards contender it used to be, and The Good Place can take over the banner for network television in this category. But I’m not ready to take it out just yet, because I don’t think the final season of Kimmy Schmidt made an impression (and that release date makes it a distant thought), and I’m still pretty iffy on Kominsky since it seems there is support for Douglas and Arkin, but not so much the show itself.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Veep – it’s winning unless it has a severe drop in quality
    2. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel – last year’s winner, did amazing with the guilds, matched quality of the first season
    3. Barry – did better than expected last year, strong guild performance
    4. The Kominsky Method – won the Globe, landed big with SAG noms
    5. GLOW – I’m a bit uncertain on this but it still got 3 SAG noms so would be weird for it to miss
    6. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt – Perennial favourite saying goodbye
    7. Better Things – massive acclaim, seems like the show that critics will refuse to let fall out of the conversation. Plus, Adlon has got in before so voters are very aware of the show anyway.

(I would have been tempted to have Russian Doll but I can’t predict 4 Netflix shows as that just aint happening)

ReplyCopy URL
    gabspss
    Participant
    Topics:

The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel Veep Barry GLOW The Good Place Black-ish Russian Doll I can see The Kominsky Method and/or Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt replacing Black-ish and/or Russian Doll, but I don’t think any other show has a shot in the race at this time. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel and Veep are obviously in, and the quality of that last season of Veep will likely dictate who wins. Barry is in a good spot due to the nominations it racked up last year, and even if there is a quality decline in season two, it is still probably safe. GLOW had a better second season than its Emmy-nominated first, so it should be safe. A summer premiere like last time should help solidify that second Comedy Series nomination. The Good Place seems poised for a breakthrough here a la Parks and Recreation for its third season. Russian Doll is definitely one of the breakout comedies of the season, and it even had mainstream success, but it is a weird show and maybe still too small to gain the necessary support for a nomination. Black-ish is not the awards contender it used to be, and The Good Place can take over the banner for network television in this category. But I’m not ready to take it out just yet, because I don’t think the final season of Kimmy Schmidt made an impression (and that release date makes it a distant thought), and I’m still pretty iffy on Kominsky since it seems there is support for Douglas and Arkin, but not so much the show itself.

I agree with you 100%. Black-ish is having a good season, so I think they can be nominated one more year. The final episodes of UKS were pretty bad, and I say this with sadness because I love the show, and I think they will not be nominated this year. GLOW had an incredible year, really deserves this nomination. Kominsky Method is only good, nothing more. About Veep vs. Mrs Maisel I agree too, let’s see how this last season of Veep will be to say who will win, but Mrs. Maisel had a perfect season, to say the least. Better Things can be the dark horse of this category, on metacritic had almost 100 points this season, and I really enjoyed the first episode.

ReplyCopy URL
    rlk
    Participant
    Topics:

1. Veep
    2. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    3. Barry
    4. The Kominsky Method
    5. Blackish
    6. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    7. Russian Doll

ReplyCopy URL
    gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. Veep, Lock- Winner of this award 3 times
    2. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel, Lock- Last years winner, winning all of the guild awards
    3. Barry, nominated everywhere
    4. The Good Place, Got in at Globes, Critics Choice and all the guilds
    5. The Kominsky Method, Won Globe
    6. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Final season and nominated every year
    7. The Big Bang Theory, final season
    ReplyCopy URL
    Turd Ferguson
    Participant
    Topics:

Veep
    Marvelous Maisel
    Barry
    GLOW
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    The Good Place
    The Kominsky Method

Bob Odenkirk for the win!

ReplyCopy URL
    Kay
    Participant
    Topics:
    • Veep
    • The Marvelous Mrs Maisel
    • Barry
    • GLOW
    • The Kominsky Method
    • Better Things
    • The Good Place
    ReplyCopy URL
    zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

Veep, Maisel, Barry, GLOW, Kominsky, UKS, & The Good Place…Done…Print

ReplyCopy URL
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. Veep (wins if there isn’t a drop in quality of the last season)
    2. The Marvellous Mrs Maisel (wins if Veep drops quality, but will nonetheless lose Best Actress in a Comedy Series)
    3. Barry
    4. The Good Place (future winner)
    5. GLOW
    6. Black-ish
    7. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (final season)

FYC Emmys 2019 : Phoebe Waller–Bridge ("Fleabag") for Best Actress in a Comedy Series, Sandra Oh ("Killing Eve") for Best Actress in a Drama Series, Bradley Walsh ("Doctor Who") for Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series, Keeley Hawes ("Bodyguard") for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, "Maniac", "A Very English Scandal" and "Killing Eve" in all eligible categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Schitt’s Creek sh*ts over most of the predicted nominees in this category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

There aren’t 7 this season that are elite. Minimum 5, max 6:

Big Bang (final season)
    GLOW
    Good Place (TCA Best Comedy and Hugo Award wins, guild nomination breakthrough; ACE Eddie/WGA/PGA/MPSE/Art Directors/Nebula Award),
    Maisel
    Veep
    The Other Two (longshot)

The Also-Rans
    Barry; not a comedy
    Grace/Frankie, Kominsky; Emmy bait only
    Russian Doll: limited series posing as comedy
    Better Things: Pamela Adlon vanity production
    Murphy Brown: failed reboot

Window of Op Gone
    Black-ish, CEG, UKS (please, not this clusterfork), Schitt’s Creek, Will and Grace, Fleabag, Black Monday, Insecure, Sex Education, Brooklyn 99, Modern Family, One Day at a Time, Kidding, Mom

IAIW (In an ideal world)….

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

Barry
    GLOW
    The Good Place
    The Kominsky Method
    The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
    Veep

Next in Line: Russian Doll, Fleabag, Better Things, The Other Two

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Are you setting us up for when you use that abbreviation in the future?

Likelihood of nomination:
    1. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    2. Veep
    3. Barry
    4. GLOW
    5. The Good Place
    6. The Kominsky Method
    7. Russian Doll

The Good Place got PGA, which only nominates five instead of seven, so their nominees always get in. There might eventually be an outlier that just happens to be disproportionately popular with producers, but The Good Place is not going to be it, seeing as it also broke through with several other guilds.

That is why I am not more confident in The Kominsky Method. SAG loved it, but it was not nominated by a single other guild. I do not think that it is, but there is a chance that it is just another Hot in Cleveland. Sure, it won the Globe, but so did—well, I could go on all day with Globe winners that flopped at the Emmys. AFI and Critics’ Choice are similarly easy to dismiss in isolation, but I think that it says something that they agreed on this show.

I had been doubting Russian Doll, then I realized that I had been overthinking it. This is an auteur-ish comedy from a past Emmy nominee that has gotten critical raves that seems to have been decently sampled on Netflix and will probably get a solid campaign. I fretted too much about Master of None breaking in a few years ago because of various legitimate bad omens, but the Emmys ultimately righted the ship.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.