Home Forums Television 2019 Emmys: Best Drama Series – What are your Top 7 predictions?

2019 Emmys: Best Drama Series – What are your Top 7 predictions?

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)
Created
2 weeks ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
lacourseauxet..
Riley
Ivo Stoyanov
  • kellis
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. Game of Thrones
    2. The Crown
    3. Ozark
    4. Killing Eve
    5. Better Call Saul
    6. Succession
    7. Homecoming
    8. (This Is Us)

I currently don’t have The Crown in my actual predictions because I just think Netflix is keeping the option open for this site for the possibility it finishes post-production in time, but I don’t think it will, so this is just in case. Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if House of Cards got in (even though Wright is the only thing worthy to be noted; I will die if Kelly got in because he is truly Razzie-worthy) since it’s got the most reviews of the series and still has higher critic scores than the fifth season. I would put Pose in there but it being on FX and not being The Americans and although it’s probably had the same amount of buzz as Succession, I think the HBO series will get in before it does.

ReplyCopy URL
    Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus has never faced a stronger competitor and the industry has never responded to a comedy like they have to The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Game of Thrones has scarcely had weaker competition. It is much more locked than Louis-Dreyfus. Peter Dinklage is more of a lock than she is.

She has never lost for this show and it’s her final season. Her fight with cancer just makes her narrative stronger. Even if Veep loses everything to The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, I am certain JLD will still win. I doubt Brosnahan would have swept this award season if her competition hadn’t been so weak.

ReplyCopy URL
    Emmyfan
    Participant
    Topics:

Brosanahan

I still think that Tracee Ellis Ross gave the stronger overall performance during the 2017-2018 season of black-ish and would have been a worthy winner.

ReplyCopy URL
    MarinaBelo2
    Participant
    Topics:

And Peter Dinklage.

Eww.

ReplyCopy URL
    Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

GoT and 6 not-a-chance-in-hell-ers:

Game of Thrones
    Killing Eve
    The Crown
    Better Call Saul
    This Is Us
    Succession
    The Expanse (wishful thinking; 5 episodes aired past 6/1/18 cutoff)

The Also-Rans:
    Ozark, Homecoming, Pose, Bodyguard, The Good Fight (if it’s THAT good, put it on the mothership, CBS, not behind a pay wall), Star Trek: Discovery (ditto), Jack Ryan (outside chance of Krasinski acting nod), Outlander, Doctor Who

Window of Op Gone:
    House of Cards, The Good Doctor, OITNB, Yellowstone, Sorry For Your Loss, Ray Donovan, Billions, Counterpart, The Sinner, The Chi, The Affair, Mr. Mercedes, The First, American Gods, Umbrella Academy, Narcos: Mexico, The Deuce

ReplyCopy URL
    JB
    Participant
    Topics:

Better Call Saul
    The Crown (if eligible)
    Game of Thrones (winner)
    The Good Fight
    Homecoming
    Killing Eve
    This is Us
    ~ spoiler: Succession, Ozark
    ~ possible: Pose, Bodyguard, House of Cards

ReplyCopy URL
    eastwest
    Participant
    Topics:

Better Call Saul
    The Crown 
    Game of Thrones 
    Homecoming 
    Ozark 
    Pose 
    This Is Us

Next in Line: Killing Eve, Succession

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Likelihood of nomination:
    1. Game of Thrones
    2. The Crown
    3. Better Call Saul
    4. Ozark
    5. This is Us
    6. Succession
    7. Bodyguard

Just like in comedy series, the top four are essentially locked.

Killing Eve is second in the odds, which is ridiculous. I understand that Sandra Oh has been sweeping, but the show was nominated by a grand total of two guilds, most notably missing the new series/drama categories at both the Casting Society and Writers Guild. Not only does it not have the statistics to back it up, but why would you bet so heavily on a show whose premise was already wearing thin by the end of the first season and whose Emmy-nominated writer stepped down?

This is Us has essentially been following a predetermined awards trajectory for the kind of show that it is as opposed to the show that it actually is. The second season was bigger and probably better than the first season, but the Emmys were already kind of over it. It does not hurt it that there are so many slots open of course, but we have seen these kinds of shows fall off cliffs, so the competition might be irrelevant.

Succession impressively got into the main WGA category and even won DGA, but it was somehow nominated by none of the other guilds, so I could be more confident, but I believe in HBO (and do not trust FX by the same token as a rule), plus Adam McKay seems to have pull in the industry.

Bodyguard also could have done better at the guilds, but as might be becoming apparent in this post, practically nothing outside of Ozark did and these slots have to be filled. Bodyguard is very watchable and it seems to have gotten a decent sampling or at least will have with the academy by the time that it matters.

If The Crown does not make eligibility, what the hell happens? Does it default to House of Cards again? I suppose that I go with Homecoming just because I have it getting acting nominations. What if Jack Ryan is everyone’s tenth choice and gets in because ballots are not ranked? It already beat Homecoming as SAG’s favourite new Amazon show.

ReplyCopy URL
    Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

I keep saying this, Killing Eve is all about Oh and Waller-Bridge. Comer couldn’t even get nominated at the Globes. The spring premiere could help it, but it’s really funny seeing it second. I might predict it if The Crown isn’t eligible.

Bodyguard reminds me of Mindhunter, except that it did better at the Globes. It’s really up to how good they campaign it. Then again, I still remember that Mindhunter FYC package.

I still don’t know what to do with Pose and Homecoming.

ReplyCopy URL
    sofan
    Participant
    Topics:

Julia Louis-Dreyfus has never faced a stronger competitor and the industry has never responded to a comedy like they have to The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. Game of Thrones has scarcely had weaker competition. It is much more locked than Louis-Dreyfus. Peter Dinklage is more of a lock than she is.

JLD is coming off of beating cancer, getting the Mark Twain prize, with her show’s final season, and as HBO behind it. There is literally no way she loses to Brosnahan who would make a great repeat winner but she is not strong enough to beat the circumstances surrounding JLD.

Anyway back to OT: Game of Thrones is easily winning this. In my opinion, the losers will be The Crown, Killing Eve, Better Call Saul, Ozark, This Is Us, and Homecoming in that order. I think Bodyguard could easily replace Homecoming but Idk if Netflix can pull off a campaign to have three series here after their Roma spendings only for all three to lose obviously.

ReplyCopy URL
    Lord Freddy Blackfyre
    Participant
    Topics:

1-Game of Thrones
    2-The Crown
    3-Ozark (frankly, I don’t get the appeal, specially after The Sopranos, Breaking Back and Boardwalk Empire run at the Emmys. Ozark is not even close to be at the ankle’s height of those shows)
    4-Succession
    5-Bodyguard
    6-Better Call Saul
    7-This Is Us (I’m very positive that this will be snubbed but i don’t know what will take its place)

For Your Emmy Consideration: Best Comedy Series Sex Education, Comedy Lead Actor Asa Butterfield, Comedy Supporting Actress Guillian Anderson, Drama Supporting Actress Miranda Otto for The Chilling Adventure of Sabrina.

ReplyCopy URL
    lacourseauxetoiles
    Participant
    Topics:

1-Game of Thrones 2-The Crown 3-Ozark (frankly, I don’t get the appeal, specially after The Sopranos, Breaking Back and Boardwalk Empire run at the Emmys. Ozark is not even close to be at the ankle’s height of those shows) 4-Succession 5-Bodyguard 6-Better Call Saul 7-This Is Us (I’m very positive that this will be snubbed but i don’t know what will take its place)

I think Better Call Saul is significantly higher than Bodyguard. I also agree that This Is Us feels like something that should miss after how badly it has underperformed for two seasons, but Homecoming and Pose don’t seem strong enough to knock it out and Killing Eve’s awards season underperformance and likely significantly weaker second season don’t give me any reason to believe in it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The industry embraced the new comedies, but rejected the new dramas.  Bodyguard missed SAG even though SAG loves Netflix.  Killing Eve missed WGA and CSA even though they have categories specifically for new shows and dramas respectively.  Not a single new drama was nominated in the ASC pilot category.  Succession missed SAG even though HBO is actually pretty good at getting their first-year dramas in (Game of Thrones in ensemble, Jeff Daniels in The Newsroom, the True Detective guys).  Julia Roberts missed SAG even though they gave another new Amazon drama two nominations and her name recognition should have been enough regardless.  Pose of course went almost nowhere.

What happened instead was that This is Us got its first PGA and CDG nominations after being snubbed its first two years.  SAG brought Bob Odenkirk back after dropping him last year.  Better Call Saul broke into ensemble for its fourth season just be default.  The same thing happened to The Americans for its sixth, but they did not even bring in Emmy winner Matthew Rhys (like they brought in Kyle Chandler and Jon Cryer after their Emmy wins) or Keri Russell.  ADG had dropped both Better Call Saul and House of Cards last year, but they had to bring them back. CDG dropped Outlander two years ago, but had to bring it back.  DGA brought back Homeland after snubbing it the past two years.  Homeland even won its first WGA Award in seven years and it got its first-ever ASC nomination.  The Crown somehow won two guild awards despite not even airing in 2018.  And of course Ozark exploded.

ReplyCopy URL
    gabarnes43
    Participant
    Topics:

The Crown has finished filming so I don’t see why it won’t be released in time. It’s one of the few returning dramas so will get nominated everywhere.

Killing Eve will breakthrough and get nominations for Series, multiple acting and writing.

Game of Thrones is a lock, final series

ReplyCopy URL
    bondzzz
    Participant
    Topics:

These are my 7 who i think will be nommed, and ranked in terms of winning at the moment.

1. Game of Thrones
    2. The Crown
    3. Killing Eve
    4. This is Us
    5. Better Call Saul
    6. Ozark
    7. Homecoming

Alt: Succession (to be in if The Crown is ineligible), Pose

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 59 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.