Home Forums Television 2019 Emmys Possible Upsets

2019 Emmys Possible Upsets

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 129 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
4 days ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
Rachel
ginnala
Tyler
  • Potatohead
    Participant
    Topics:

Darling, stranger things have happened.

Sharp Objects wasn’t my favorite this year, but with The Haunting of Hill House and True Detective out of the race I wouldn’t mind, especially if unexpected good will towards the show at the eleventh hour resulted in Amy Adams winning an Emmy.

ReplyCopy URL
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

I will never predict her because the race is really between Arquette & Clarkson but I feel like Margaret Qualley is the third. She might have generated buzz from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

I will never predict her because the race is really between Arquette & Clarkson but I feel like Margaret Qualley is the third. She might have generated buzz from Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

She’s also been campaigning.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anna
    Participant
    Topics:

One upset I’m hoping for is Documentary Now in variety sketch series (and variety series directing). It’s probably going to be SNL again, but DocNow did get writing and directing nominations (+ original song), so it could happen.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Sharp Objects wasn’t my favorite this year, but with The Haunting of Hill House and True Detective out of the race I wouldn’t mind, especially if unexpected good will towards the show at the eleventh hour resulted in Amy Adams winning an Emmy.

If this happens my life would be complete but I just can’t deal with false hope anymore.

Also, Qualley is giving me Wever vibes.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Also, Qualley is giving me Wever vibes.

Same. I’m actually so mad at myself for not predicting her, I thought about doing it a few days before nominations day when I saw a trailer for OUATIH.

ReplyCopy URL
    Jays
    Participant
    Topics:

Qualley was pretty great in Fosse/Verdon, especially in one of the last episodes (I forget which one$), so I wouldn’t be opposed to her upsetting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Thatcher, Prime Minister of GoldDerby
    Participant
    Topics:

Sharp Objects wasn’t my favorite this year, but with The Haunting of Hill House and True Detective out of the race I wouldn’t mind, especially if unexpected good will towards the show at the eleventh hour resulted in Amy Adams winning an Emmy.

Darling, based on the performance, Sharpy Adams delivered and deserves a dildo for her talented vagina. I have to see Williams and Fatty Arquette but Sharpy’s performance was flawless and dildo-worthy.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Thatcher.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  Thatcher.

LENA HEADEY hasn't got an Emmy for Game of Thrones????? Emmys you need to win her right now!!
    If Lena Headey doesn't win the Emmy, I'm leaving GoldDerby forever.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Just for some context, Carla created “Possible Upsets”, “Surprise Winners” and “This Year’s Tatiana Maslany and Ben Mendelsohn” threads in short succession and her posts were pretty much the same in each (names of contenders without context), so I merged the posts and threads.

Qualley is giving me Wever vibes.

I do not really see how they are alike apart from being in the same category.  Wever was the best in her field and benefited from vote-splitting.  Neither applies to Qualley.

One upset I’m hoping for is Documentary Now in variety sketch series (and variety series directing). It’s probably going to be SNL again, but DocNow did get writing and directing nominations (+ original song), so it could happen.

Just like with Game of Thrones in drama, there is no hope for a series upset with the way that nominations turned out, but I really hope that we get an upset in directing.  We got an upset/surprise/Maslany/Mendelsohn a few years ago when Inside Amy Schumer won.  SNL had sixteen nominations that year and Schumer only had four.  It was also a down year for Schumer, having had seven nominations the year before, including a series win that it did not repeat.  It was also an up year for SNL, as they doubled their nominations from the eight the year before, plus Kate McKinnon won for the first time.  SNL has nineteen nominations this year, but that is down three from last year.  Documentary Now! is way up from last season’s one nomination to four this year.  Like Schumer, it has series, writing and directing, but its last nomination is song instead of lead actress.  If they had gotten a guest actress nomination, there might be a solid case here.  I also wonder about Who is America?, which has an editing nomination instead of writing.  It is coming in with a DGA nomination, like Schumer.  Neither won DGA, but the guild is going to have more populist sensibilities.

ReplyCopy URL
    Rachel
    Participant
    Topics:

Just for some context, Carla created “Possible Upsets”, “Surprise Winners” and “This Year’s Tatiana Maslany and Ben Mendelsohn” threads in short succession and her posts were pretty much the same in each (names of contenders without context), so I merged the posts and threads. Just like with Game of Thrones in drama, there is no hope for a series upset with the way that nominations turned out, but I really hope that we get an upset in directing. We got an upset/surprise/Maslany/Mendelsohn a few years ago when Inside Amy Schumer won. SNL had sixteen nominations that year and Schumer only had four. It was also a down year for Schumer, having had seven nominations the year before, including a series win that it did not repeat. It was also an up year for SNL, as they doubled their nominations from the eight the year before, plus Kate McKinnon won for the first time. SNL has nineteen nominations this year, but that is down three from last year. Documentary Now! is way up from last season’s one nomination to four this year. Like Schumer, it has series, writing and directing, but its last nomination is song instead of lead actress. If they had gotten a guest actress nomination, there might be a solid case here. I also wonder about Who is America?, which has an editing nomination instead of writing. It is coming in with a DGA nomination, like Schumer. Neither won DGA, but the guild is going to have more populist sensibilities.

Amy Schumer was the IT girl in 2015. The voting began around the same time Trainwreck was released. That definitely helped her win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

The directing win was the year after that, for the less-buzzed follow-up season.  (She won two TCA Awards in 2015 and was not nominated for one in 2016.)

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

I do not really see how they are alike apart from being in the same category.  Wever was the best in her field and benefited from vote-splitting.  Neither applies to Qualley. 

Other than them being relatively unknown to the general public outside of their respective big roles (OUATIH & The Leftovers/Nurse Jackie) and winning for shows with 1 other acting winner, 3 would suffer from vote-splitting (Arquette & WTSU/ACS) which could place her at 3rd/4th from the start, and from what I can tell, there’s no general preference between the top 3 contenders despite Clarkson/Cruz being predicted enough ahead to beat that, which could open up a chance for her. I’m not saying that it’ll happen (with Wever already a winner) and I’m not predicting it, but comparisons can be made. That’s just how I see it.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    larissasr
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that Amy Adams and Christina Applegate are probably leaving with nothing in their hands will always make me sad

ReplyCopy URL
    nahborghi
    Participant
    Topics:

The fact that Amy Adams and Christina Applegate are probably leaving with nothing in their hands will always make me sad

Christina does have an Emmy

ReplyCopy URL
    nahborghi
    Participant
    Topics:

I said this in the Comedy thread, but I’ll say it again: watch out for Betty Gilpin. With GLOW’s third season, the people who voted for her will DEFINELY remember why they did it in the first place. The field in SAC is so wide open, that it could happen.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  nahborghi.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  nahborghi.
    ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 129 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.