Home Forums Television 2019 Emmys (Post-2018 Ceremony)

2019 Emmys (Post-2018 Ceremony)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 526 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
7 hours ago
( +16 hidden )
replies
views
users
Eden
HappyLittleWo..
Stegeo
  • Anonymous
    Topics:

I am fully right there with you Headey stans, but without even seeing a second of the show I’m already (somewhat confidently) predicting HBC to win. It’s really unfair to Kirby, but I think the buzz she created for the character is going to catapult Helena’s chances. I presume Dern/Streep/Woodley(?) will vote split, and I also think Williams has a really good shot of getting in which will only make it harder for Heady.

Good analysis right there. I was saying on another thread HBC could make the cut with the Globes, but The Crown won’t be premiering its next season until early next year. She could definitely take the Emmy, she’s already an Oscar nominee. I think Dinklage takes his record-breaking 4th over Menzies though. Menzies just isn’t as well known an actor as Colman or Carter plus in the first 2 seasons I saw Prince Philip as being the most subtle role of the 3.

ReplyCopy URL
    Luca Giliberti
    Participant
    Topics:

If Meryl Streep is just “okay” in BLL, then she’s a threat to win.

FYC Oscars 2019: Viola Davis (Widows) - Best Actress

ReplyCopy URL
    Stegeo
    Participant
    Topics:

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

• Anthony Anderson – black-ish
    • Jim Carrey – Kidding
    • Ted Danson – The Good Place
    • Larry David – Curb Your Enthusiasm
    • Bill Hader – Barry
    • William H. Macy – Shameless
    ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Outstanding Lead Actor in a Comedy Series

• Anthony Anderson – black-ish
    • Jim Carrey – Kidding
    • Ted Danson – The Good Place
    • Larry David – Curb Your Enthusiasm
    • Bill Hader – Barry
    • William H. Macy – Shameless

Funny how in my predictions I actually have Sacha Baron Cohen getting nominated and winning for Who Is America but you don’t have him even getting nominated. I know Variety shows that aren’t SNL have trouble winning acting categories but Cohen successfully duped so many powerful people into humiliating themselves and/or revealing what psychopathic scumbags they were with a variety of different characters he played, that he seems like a no-brainer.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

If Meryl Streep is just “okay” in BLL, then she’s a threat to win.

Streep could just be sitting, and talking and drinking coffee at a table with Nicole Kidman while looking menacing for 2 and half minutes and win. It worked for Margo Martindale, and while that was on the first year of the popular voting system and she probably had an overdue factor for that character, never forget that such a thing did indeed happen. Think about what a legend like Streep could pull off, just showing up and sneezing and bumping into the lead of any show the Emmys love and then winning an Emmy for a 20-second “performance!” 😉

Seriously, I feel that Streep is just so overexposed by this point she needs to take a break from acting for about 5 years, give us all a chance to breathe from her. She should do what Day-Lewis did after The Boxer, “retire” then come back 5 years later with an acclaimed jaw-dropping performance like he did with Gangs of New York and get an Oscar or Emmy nomination. Right now, I feel like there is #TooMuchStreep

Cue a Streep stan typing “There can NEVER be too much of Queen Meryl” and me rolling my eyes in response.

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

Even though its early, I feel fairly confident that we are seeing Jim Carrey win for Kidding

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Even though its early, I feel fairly confident that we are seeing Jim Carrey win for Kidding

Did you really like it? I’ve been hesitating to see the pilot of that show due to the mixed reception it got. The premiere is on YouTube, but why do you think he will be such a big Emmy contender? I love Jim Carrey by the way and think he got robbed of an Oscar for The Truman Show.

ReplyCopy URL
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Participant
    Topics:

Did you really like it? I’ve been hesitating to see the pilot of that show due to the mixed reception it got. The premiere is on YouTube, but why do you think he will be such a big Emmy contender? I love Jim Carrey by the way and think he got robbed of an Oscar for The Truman Show.

The show in itself isn’t all that great, but Carrey really is amazing. We’ve never seen him like this so in a way it’s a transformative performance as well. He’s a lock to win the Globe and I think he is getting nominated for SAG (not sure about him winning SAG though).
    So while I’m not so sure about how the show will do at the Emmys, I am confident in his chances of winning.

I would also keep an eye out on Keener for supporting actress, depending on what she does during the rest of the season.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

The show in itself isn’t all that great, but Carrey really is amazing. We’ve never seen him like this so in a way it’s a transformative performance as well. He’s a lock to win the Globe and I think he is getting nominated for SAG (not sure about him winning SAG though).
    So while I’m not so sure about how the show will do at the Emmys, I am confident in his chances of winning.

I would also keep an eye out on Keener for supporting actress, depending on what she does during the rest of the season.

I would be really shocked if Hader lost the Globe, but if Carrey wins that he could gain a kind of Brosnahan-esque momentum from the win, especially if he wins Critics’ Choice and maybe even SAG as well. From what you describe he sounds like he could be a Louie Anderson type, winning for a show that doesn’t do amazing with the Emmys overall but his performance is still passionately loved enough and he is beloved a veteran enough to win.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I know people can’t stop raving about the great Voice-Over performances on BoJack Horseman for next Emmy year but I’d like to throw John DiMaggio out there as well, who has what I consider a truly excellent potential submission with the Disenchantment episode “Dreamland Falls.” Pretty emotionally effective stuff IMO. He is so overdue by this point and I think he should have won for Bender from Futurama, another Matt Groening show. He was also great as Jake from Adventure Time, though I never found him to be Emmy-worthy for that role.

ReplyCopy URL
    Macca
    Participant
    Topics:

Predicted winners;

Drama Series: GOT
    Actor: Menzies
    Actress: Colman
    S. Actor: Dinklage
    S. Actress: Streep
    Directing: GOT
    Writing: BLL

Comedy Series: Veep
    Actress: Veep
    Actor: Danson
    S. Actor: Hale
    S. Actress: Chlumsky
    Directing: Veep
    Writing: Catastrophe

Limited Series: True Detective
    Actor: Grant
    Actress: Adams
    S. Actor: Whishaw
    S. Actress: Clarkson
    Directing: True Detective
    Writing: True Detective

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I’m not sure why everyone is so down on maniac and so high on sharp objects. Sharp objects might be almost forgotten next July. There is also catch 22 on Hulu and Ava Durvenay’s Central Park five.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

Predicted winners;

Drama Series: GOT
    Actor: Menzies
    Actress: Colman
    S. Actor: Dinklage
    S. Actress: Streep
    Directing: GOT
    Writing: BLL

Comedy Series: Veep
    Actress: Veep
    Actor: Danson
    S. Actor: Hale
    S. Actress: Chlumsky
    Directing: Veep
    Writing: Catastrophe

Limited Series: True Detective
    Actor: Grant
    Actress: Adams
    S. Actor: Whishaw
    S. Actress: Clarkson
    Directing: True Detective
    Writing: True Detective

What makes you think Menzies will be bumped up to Lead? I think it would certainly be the smart campaign strategy but haven’t heard anyone except you so much as suggest it could happen. I also agree that True Detective will win Limited Series, just a hunch I’ve got looking at the field of contenders, but I’m skeptical of it winning Directing over something as apparently showy as Maniac. Even though True Detective has always hated divisive writing at best, I am also predicting it to win that next year, again going off of its competition for that category, unless Black Mirror delivers another hit like USS Callister or San Junipero.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:

I’m not sure why everyone is so down on maniac and so high on sharp objects. Sharp objects might be almost forgotten next July. There is also catch 22 on Hulu and Ava Durvenay’s Central Park five.

Sharp Objects I believe will be the Godless of next year, doing well in nominations but only winning 1 or a couple major Emmys for acting and nothing for Series, Writing, and probably not Directing.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

We don’t even know if season 3 of True Detective is going to be good like season 1 or bad as season 2, it is pretty early to say that is winning.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 526 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.