Home Forums Television 2019 Television Critics Association awards thread

2019 Television Critics Association awards thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 280 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
Guest 2018
Riley Chow
Pulp
  • mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Huh, just noticed that up through 2015, only one Longform contender had won Individual Achievement in Drama – Paul Giamatti, but since then we have Paulson + Williams + partially Coon.

Miniseries/”miniseries” have really taken over.

Expect that trend to continue now that TV’s strongest long form dramas have ended and prestigious actors are dipping into TV.

FYC: Carice van Houten (Game of Thrones), Guest Actress in a Drama Series

ReplyCopy URL
    jjjmoss
    Participant
    Topics:

Even nominees were scarce for tv movies/miniseries:
    04 Al Pacino, Angels in America
    07 Helen Mirren, Prime Suspect
    08 Paul Giamatti, John Adams
    12 Jessica Lange, American Horror Story
    So 4 in 19 years.

2016, 2017, and 2019, the nominees were an even split.

ReplyCopy URL
    methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

You can kind of add John Lithgow and Margo Martindale to that list because they were only on their shows for one season.

ReplyCopy URL
    musterd
    Participant
    Topics:

Atlanta did…

It did? Don’t remember what 2017 race was like.

Eh we will know in less than 2 months whether Fleabag is more Handmaids Tale than Atlanta/TGP then.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  musterd.
    • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by  musterd.
    ReplyCopy URL
    Potatohead
    Participant
    Topics:

A B C D E F G, Amy Adams lost kill me

Will she ever win anything? Love Williams and she was fantastic, but AMY NEEDS TO WIN SOMETHING FOR THIS ROLE.

ReplyCopy URL
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

That’s definitely not how people should read Scott’s snub, not least because there are only 6 nominees in his category and he could’ve been just outside of the 2% leeway to get into the category as an additional nominee.

It’s very clear that they watched season 2.

But Kristin Scott Thomas and Fiona Shaw were only in s2…

Y’all really don’t know how to read the word “some” do you. I didn’t say all voters only watched S1, I said some may have, which is all it will take for Colman to win given plenty may also just vote for her due to good will on her Oscar win. Not predicting it but ignore the possibility at your own peril.

ReplyCopy URL
    TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

A B C D E F G, Amy Adams lost kill me

Will she ever win anything? Love Williams and she was fantastic, but AMY NEEDS TO WIN SOMETHING FOR THIS ROLE.

She won the Critics Choice Award.

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

Y’all really don’t know how to read the word “some” do you. I didn’t say all voters only watched S1, I said some may have, which is all it will take for Colman to win given plenty may also just vote for her due to good will on her Oscar win. Not predicting it but ignore the possibility at your own peril.

I don’t see how Colman’s chances of winning correlates to whether voters watched season 2 or not because Clifford was also in season 1. So your point was flawed. But to your second point, yes I could be underestimating just how big her Oscar good will is.

ReplyCopy URL
    Couverture
    Participant
    Topics:

She won the Critics Choice Award.

Even she realizes this award is nothing more than a joke.

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    forwardswill
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t see how Colman’s chances of winning correlates to whether voters watched season 2 or not because Clifford was also in season 1. So your point was flawed. But to your second point, yes I could be underestimating just how big her Oscar good will is.

Because she was widely considered the supporting standout of the first season but not the second. So people who have only watched one season could easily vote for her instead of Clifford

ReplyCopy URL
    mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

This is such a minor thing to debate though. I’m sure there are some voters that only watched season 2 (where Clifford was the standout). Comedy supporting actress won’t be won and lost on how many people watched Fleabag season 1. A Colman win would be for popularity, not her performance in a previous season (she was good in season 2 as well, just not enough to win purely on merit).

ReplyCopy URL
    Atypical
    Participant
    Topics:

Didn’t expect all this love for “Fleabag.” Now toying with predicting PWB to finally topple JLD in lead actress in a comedy series.

ReplyCopy URL
    Reis
    Participant
    Topics:

It will be kinda sad to me if Phoebe win over JLD after Amy Poehler and Lisa Kudrow were incapable of doing it. JLD was insane in the finale but Phoebe deserve this. But I will be happy if she wins series and writting.

ReplyCopy URL
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

As big of a fan as I am of Fleabag, (I unapologetically think its at least a top 5 show of the 2000s) I do still hope Julia wins. Phoebe as a writer is genius beyond comprehension, but I think Julia’s performance is stronger from an acting stand point, which is not because Phoebe is necessarily inferior but rather because Selina is a flashier and more difficult character.  It’s Glover vs Hader last year. The better creative genius? Glover. But the better performance? Hader.

Also, from the-less objective standpoint, I want JLD to hold an Emmy record at least until the next JLD comes around in twenty years or whatever. She is by all accounts the Meryl Streep of comedy television, and should be recognized as such. That said, you won’t catch me throwing a fit if Phoebe wins, because she’s still incredible.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 280 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.