Home Forums Television 2019 Television Critics Association awards thread

2019 Television Critics Association awards thread

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 279 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Guest 2018
Riley Chow
Pulp
  • Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Predictions:

PROGRAM OF THE YEAR
    Chernobyl (HBO)

ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY
    Fleabag (Amazon)

ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA
    Pose (FX)

ACHIEVEMENT IN MINISERIES
    When They See Us (Netflix)

NEW PROGRAM
    Russian Doll (Netflix)

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN COMEDY
    Phoebe Waller Bridge- Fleabag (Amazon)

INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT IN DRAMA
    Patricia Arquette- Escape at Dannemora (Showtime)

ReplyCopy URL
    Anonymous
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

I think it’ll be White Michelle, it just felt like every critic on earth was talking about her performance, and how it cemented her as one of the best actresses of her generation (not that she wasn’t already). It could be Arquette if enough voters are still thinking about The Act despite her not being nominated for it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Miles
    Participant
    Topics:

Does anyone know the rules for the nomination process? I’m wondering because I don’t understand why Carrie Coon got nominated for The Leftovers and Fargo but Patricia Arquette only got nominated for Escape at Dannemora.

ReplyCopy URL
    kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m just going to guess that they may have two performances in the top five, so they slump them together and give the next actress the fifth spot. But I’m probably wrong.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

ReplyCopy URL
    Roney Moore
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Individual Achievement in a Drama will go to either Amy or Jodie. Patty feels vulnerable. They did not nominate her for The Act, which everyone seems to forget. Ditto Billy Porter. They could have given him credit for his AHS part too.

My predictions:
    Will win: Jodie Comer, Killing Eve
    Runner-Up: Amy Adams, Sharp Objects or Michelle Williams, Fosse/Verdon

Billy Porter, POSE
    Patricia Arquette, Escape at Dannemora
    Christine Baranski, The Good Fight

I was actually pretty shocked by Jared Harris’ snub.

Erm, why? He didn’t do anything noteworthy in the show. And it’s been a long time since that show has fallen off critics’ radar.

It’s not like Paulson needed to be given another credit for AHS when she won for O.J either.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by  Roney Moore.
    ReplyCopy URL
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

Ditto Billy Porter. They could have given him credit for his AHS part too.

It’s like saying why Natasha Lyonne isn’t nominated for Orange is the New Black as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

Erm, why? He didn’t do anything noteworthy in the show. And it’s been a long time since that show has fallen off critics’ radar. It’s not like Paulson needed to be given another credit for AHS when she won for O.J either. I agree but Paulson had the performance of the decade whereas Porter, whose performance I find decent and very good and of course heartbreaking yet he’s nowhere near Paulson’s Marcia Clark, might have gotten in due to his bold statements these past months about gender equality and all the attention he’s been getting in terms of his red carpet appearances. Idk. It’s kind of hard to win when you’re in such company (Jodie, Amy and mostly Michelle who gave career-defining performance) and his performance is not undeniable. Had he been nominated for AHS then a win wouldn’t be out of the question. Ditto Patty Arquette. I think Billy will eventually win the Emmy though.

Not at all, I agree with Roney. A mention for Billy Porter for AHS would have been out of place, all the male witches were ridiculous and were there for shock value or for humor purposes, roles played by Ryan Murphy favorites. Porter is one of Murphy’s new muses. Murphy loves to show off his favorite actors, Lea and Darren had more solos than all the others actors on Glee combined, and after that, they were also the only ones that he worked with again. What a coincidence hahaha. And Porter on Pose also has a career-defining performance, he has no fault that he has lesser career than Michelle and Amy.

boss wrote:
    It’s like saying why Natasha Lyonne isn’t nominated for Orange is the New Black as well.

No, it’s not like saying that.

Yes, it is, since she was excellent on the sixth season of Orange and she was also a co-lead, while Porter did nothing on AHS, no one even remembers his character’s name.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I wish that I had predicted the nominations to really know how much these nominations played with expectations, but I was out of town for the last month, hence I am only commenting now.

The drama field is weak. My understanding is that the second season of The Good Fight was stronger than the third, yet here is Christine Baranski breaking through for the first time. Then there is Homecoming, which managed a drama nomination without a new program nomination, but the logic actually checks out because the shows that were nominated over Homecoming in new program did not contend in drama. Dead to Me, The Other Two and What We Do in the Shadows have no other nominations and do not have much buzz either, so support for Homecoming is really shallow. This makes it all the more pathetic that Bodyguard and Game of Thrones missed drama.

Just talking to acquaintances, Game of Thrones has obviously not had the best reception this year, but looking through all of the reviews on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes (and not just the ones that got shared the most), it did appear that there was a contingent of critics that continued to praise the show through the finale. And they have now seemed to abandon the show. Not only was the bar for a nomination extremely low, given the Homecoming situation, but this is the same group that not only nominated the divisive final season of Lost, but were so overcome with nostalgia for their past favourite that they actually awarded it. This bodes well for the apathy for Game of Thrones being so strong that it loses the Emmy. Even The Handmaid’s Tale scored three TCA nominations last year, then it was shut out at both TCA and the main Emmy telecast.

Looks like The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel narrowly avoided a nomination shut out, which bodes poorly for it challenging Veep at the Emmys. I had Russian Doll in my Emmy predictions already and this program nomination solidifies it, given that there was not really any reason for it, with it being a comedy that seems to have aired so long ago. Either it is the first half-hour to win new program in thirteen years or it is going home empty-handed. My guess is that Fleabag gets series and individual goes to either Julia Louis-Dreyfus off nostalgia or Bill Hader as the only man. I am continually disappointed by the TCA’s more traditional choices, but The Kominsky Method managed to miss new program after getting a Critics’ Choice series nomination.

The Jharrel Jerome snub gives me pause about his Emmy chances, albeit none of his competitors made it either. Between the Fosse/Verdon series nomination and Patricia Arquette not being cited for The Act, this is Michelle Williams’s to lose, with Billy Porter in the upset position as the only man. Ramy Youssef needed this nomination. The Haunting of Hill House can now probably only hope for an American Vandal Emmy haul as opposed to a Twin Peaks one.

ReplyCopy URL
    boss
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the problem with every critics & entertainment media awards is that they consider their awards as an alternative to Emmys and Oscars, so they really push themselves to nominate out of nowhere nominees and ones which don’t really stand a chance (See TvLine’s “Dream Emmy Nominees”, it’s filled with Star Trek). Of course this causes some really deserving ones to miss (They snubbed Claire Foy last year and no Rachel Brosnahan this year).

ReplyCopy URL
    Pulp
    Participant
    Topics:

Critics weren’t that crazy for Killing Eve by the end of season 2 so I’m not sure Comer can win. Even just considering Comer’s performance alone, I don’t think she reached the same level of acclaim as Williams.

ReplyCopy URL
    FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the problem with every critics & entertainment media awards is that they consider their awards as an alternative to Emmys and Oscars, so they really push themselves to nominate out of nowhere nominees and ones which don’t really stand a chance (See TvLine’s “Dream Emmy Nominees”, it’s filled with Star Trek). Of course this causes some really deserving ones to miss (They snubbed Claire Foy last year and no Rachel Brosnahan this year).

Are you saying that bloggers and media outlets predict more eclectic nominees for the awards shows, or that these groups are more “out of nowhere” in their own awards programs?

If it’s the former, I would guess they are trying to create narrative and buzz for personal favorites and those with outside chances; if it’s the latter, I fail to see the issue. No reason to be annoyed by people considering mainstream favorites to be wrongly overpraised.

ReplyCopy URL
    Ivo Stoyanov
    Participant
    Topics:

This makes it all the more pathetic that Bodyguard and Game of Thrones missed drama.

Just talking to acquaintances, Game of Thrones has obviously not had the best reception this year, but looking through all of the reviews on Metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes (and not just the ones that got shared the most), it did appear that there was a contingent of critics that continued to praise the show through the finale. And they have now seemed to abandon the show. Not only was the bar for a nomination extremely low, given the Homecoming situation, but this is the same group that not only nominated the divisive final season of Lost, but were so overcome with nostalgia for their past favourite that they actually awarded it. This bodes well for the apathy for Game of Thrones being so strong that it loses the Emmy. Even The Handmaid’s Tale scored three TCA nominations last year, then it was shut out at both TCA and the main Emmy telecast.

You are very wrong here, TCA has never nominated anything with the poor reviews that GoT has received, The Handmaid’s Tale and Lost were divisive, not hated. Both of them have more defenders that haters (just compare their notes on IMDB and on RT for their most controversial episodes with those of GoT season 8). Season 8 of GoT is described in MANY places as the worst TV season fo the year and as the worst finale of any quality drama ever, this is why I correctly predicted a complete shut out for GoT (with the possible exception of Emilia Clarke, but they hated the season so much that they chose Baranski instead). Season 8 of GoT is as hated as the last season of House of Cards if you want to find a comparison. I do not get why this forum is the only place on the Internet where people cannot see that.

ReplyCopy URL
    Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

I correctly predicted a complete shut out for GoT (with the possible exception of Emilia Clarke, but they hated the season so much that they chose Baranski instead).

It got into Program of the Year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Couverture
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t think I’ve seen any post of this person without the words, You’re completely wrong. Even when responding to opinions on shows and performances.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 279 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.