Home Forums Television 2020 BAFTA TV Awards (Final Winners Predictions and Reactions)

2020 BAFTA TV Awards (Final Winners Predictions and Reactions)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 165 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
forwardswill
AMG
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I thought considering the nominations are going to be announced tomorrow and the thread we’ve been using was created over a year ago to make nominations predictions that it was time to create a new thread.

I hope we have the predictions centre opens for this like it did in 2017. The most interesting races in my opinion are International Series and Actress.

With the latter I think the only lock is Suranne Jones (who barring any surprises I am predicting to win). Realistically any of Gemma Chan (I Am…), Lily Collins (Les Miserables), Olivia Colman (The Crown), Jodie Comer (Killing Eve), Holliday Grainger (The Capture), Jessica Hynes (Years and Years), Dafne Keen (His Dark Materials), Glenda Jackson (Elizabeth is Missing), Kelly MacDonald (The Victim), Vicky McClure (I Am…), Samantha Morton (I Am…) or Imelda Staunton (A Confession) could get into the line up. Hell if Sky Atlantic fraud Emily Watson or Jessie Buckley in lead I could see either of them getting nominated.

With regards to International I think Succession is going to become the first show since Mad Men (and the only other show) to repeat. It has more buzz this time on both sides of the Atlantic but I can feel the buzz being very strong here in the UK, particularly within the industry. Many UK industry insiders I’ve seen online have been singing the show’s praises so unless we get a surprise contender I don’t see how it misses. At the moment Succession is the only lock in that category in my opinion. I think its strongest competition comes from Fosse/Verdon which aired on BBC Two here in Blighty as there seems to be a trend that BAFTA nominates the FX miniseries that gets a Spring release slot on the Beeb (e.g. OJ Simpson, Feu). Whilst I don’t think Fosse/Verdon is a lock, I think it’s very likely. After that it’s anyone’s guess. We could see anything of The Handmaid’s Tale (which has won this category), Big Little Lies (nominated in 2017), Game of Thrones (a below the line BAFTA favourite), The Good Fight (which has had more of an industry following in the UK than the States), When They See Us, Unbelievable, The Morning Show, The Politician, The Good Place, Pose, Advocate : Storyville and probably more (the competition in this category is that excessive).

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

Hoping to see Gavin and Stacey, Fleabag, Killing Eve, The Crown, Years and Years show up

FYC OSCARS

AMY ADAMS- Best Actress
    The Boys in the Band- Jim Parsons/Screenplay

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Final predicted nominations per programme (not counting Must See Moment):

Chernobyl (13) – Miniseries, Actor, Supporting Actress, Writing, Directing, Editing, Costume Design, Makeup and Hair Design, Production Design, Original Music, Photography, Special Visual and Graphic Effects, Sound

His Dark Materials (12) – Drama Series, Supporting Actress, Directing, Editing, Costume Design, Hair and Makeup, Production Design, Original Music, Photography, Special Visual and Graphic Effects, Title and Graphic Identity, Sound 

Years and Years (11) – Miniseries, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Writing, Editing, Production Design, Original Music, Photography, Title and Graphic Identity, Sound, Visual Effects

The Crown (6) (-4 last time) – Actress, Supporting Actor, Costume Design, Makeup and Hair, Photography, Special Visual Effects

Gentleman Jack (6) – Drama Series, Actress, Costume Design, Production Design, Makeup and Hair

The Virtues (5) – Miniseries, Actor, Supporting Actress, Writing, Directing

Fleabag (4) (-1 last time) – Scripted Comedy, Comedy Performance (Female), Comedy Performance (Male), Writing

Gavin and Stacey (4) – Scripted Comedy, Comedy Performance (Male), Comedy Performance (Female), Writing

Line of Duty (4) (-1 last time) – Drama Series, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actor, Editing

Killing Eve (3) (-12 last year) – Original Music, Sound, Titles and Graphic Identity

Sex Education (3) – Comedy Performance (Male), Comedy Performance (Female), Writing

Derry Girls (2) (+1 last year) – Scripted Comedy, Writing

Brexit : The Uncivil War (2) – TV Movie, Actor

The Capture (2) – Drama Series, Directing

Elizabeth is Missing (2) – Miniseries, Actress

This Way Up (2) – Scripted Comedy, Comedy Performance (Female)

Top Boy (2) – Actor, Writing

After Life (1) – Comedy Performance (Male)

The Victim (1) – Actress

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", AMANDA SEYFRIED FOR "MANK", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hoping to see Gavin and Stacey, Fleabag, Killing Eve, The Crown, Years and Years show up

I think Gavin and Stacey and Fleabag are going to dominate Comedy (poor Derry Girls!).

I think Years and Years is a lock for Miniseries and will show up in Supporting Actor and Supporting Actress. The question is whether it will dominate, play second fiddle to Chernobyl or underperform.

Both The Crown and Killing Eve are in trouble, one will do well in nominations and the other will completely underperform. The question is which.

Also this is out of no disrespect for Coronation Street, the moments nominated this year and last year were excellent but it is starting to look like whenever Coronation Street kills of a character BAFTA is going to nominate it.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

The only thing I’m sure of at this point is that Chernobyl is going to be this year’s leader.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

It’s funny I had the strangest feeling yesterday that Years and Years was going to get shut out. Turns out I was bang on.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Riley Chow
    Topics:

Black Mirror also shut out.

Did not see Drake and Euphoria coming in International.

Jesse Armstrong being nominated in writing was a twist ending to the press release.

Olivia Colman snubbed for Jodie Comer, but Josh O’Connor is in.

Catherine the Great and His Dark Materials up for main titles.

Four nominations is a solid haul for Sex Education.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Jus
    Topics:

It’s funny I had the strangest feeling yesterday that Years and Years was going to get shut out. Turns out I was bang on.

not gonna lie, I’m shocked. Zero noms. Zero.

Few comments:
    – happy with Gentleman Jack nom for best series, but overall only two (!?) nominatios for the show (the second is for Suranne).
    – no nomination for Andrew Scott
    – holy crap, 6 noms for Giri/Haji, including Best Drama! Love to see!
    – Chernobyl dominates, as it should.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AayaanUpadhyaya
    Topics:

Unbelievable in International is what I’m looking at as a possible bellwether.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    PeytonKawai
    Topics:

I was shocked that Olivia Colman & Emily Watson snubbed!
    But really happy for Helena Bonham Carter, Naomi Ackie, Josh O’Connor, and Takehiro Hira, whose parents were huge star in Japan!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

We all definitely went too mainstream with our predictions.

Things I’m noticing about Dramas:
    Chernobyl leads as expected. I am surprised Stellan Skarsgard was able to make the final six. Suggests that showy performances from Stephen Graham and Russell Tovey did not make it to the panels.
    The Crown is second but 3 down on last time. It gets two actors in though who could both be very competitive for the win with their tapes.
    Line of Duty and Gavin and Stacey settle for Must See Moment only
    The Capture misses Drama Series. Gets a sole nod for Callum Turner
    His Dark Materials gets five nods but all are crafts
    Elizabeth is Missing is apparently a Single Drama?
    A Confession comes through with two surprise noms, including Mini Series where The Victim gets its sole nod
    Giri/Haji is a Drama even though there’s been no indication of it returning.
    Top Boy gets four nods but not for its most acclaimed components
    I Am gets Leading Actress but not the surely more easy Single Drama nod
    Gentleman Jack performs as expected at the main ceremony but is shutout of crafts
    The Virtues does well but misses for Niamh Algar who seemed locked.
    End of the F***ing World is for some reason beloved?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

Really shocked by this I thought it was raved in the UK?

Normal People wasnt eligible?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

Things I’m noticing about Comedy:

– They definitely decided to spread the wealth due to so much competition
    Brassic settles for a writing nom as does surprise inclusion Plebs
    Fleabag gets a mighty six nominations but still misses Andrew Scott. Given its popularity I imagine he made it to the final six but got knocked out by panels due to showier submissions.
    Sex Education gets a solid four, missing Gillian Anderson (called it) and Series.
    After Life joyfully shut out
    Stath Lets Flats gets Series, Actor and Writing, actually improving on last year
    Derry Girls gets Series only
    This Way Up gets Breakthrough talent for Aisling Bea but otherwise nothing
    Frayed and Famalam both get Actress noms but nothing else. Watch out for both.
    – Nothing for Mum or Back to Life

Really shocked by this I thought it was raved in the UK?

Normal People wasnt eligible?

It was but not hugely watched.

Eligibility is the 2019 calendar year.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Unbelievable getting a nomination is all I care about.

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

It was but not hugely watched.

Eligibility is the 2019 calendar year.

Ah right. Didnt realise the Killing Eve nominations were for season 2.

Poor Andrew Scott. But at least Sian got in. Quite bummed out by the lack of acting nominations for Derry Girls cast. A huge part of the success and charm of the show is due to that cast.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 165 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.