Home Forums Television 2020 BAFTA TV Awards (Final Winners Predictions and Reactions)

2020 BAFTA TV Awards (Final Winners Predictions and Reactions)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 165 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
wolfali
forwardswill
AMG
  • Profile picture
    Babygirl
    Topics:

Not End of the Fucking World winning over The Crown PLEASEEEEE

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

I got…9 correct out of 26…man I’m good :-/

People saying this ruins The Crown’s chances at the Emmys – Succession lost Best International to When They See Us, so is that not winning now too?

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Game over Succession.

It is a bit weird it lost International but considering it frauded itself into winning a BAFTA (in the same way GoT did in 2018 whilst getting snubbed in International only for THT to win the categoy) I don’t think I’m too worried about the show losing Series.

The fact they didn’t go for Euphoria or Unbelievable does make me feel more confident in predicting Colette last and makes me less confident in predicting a Zendaya win.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

BAFTA’s ARE VOTED ON BY A JURY – NOT THE ENTIRE MEMBERSHIP.

YOU CANNOT ASSUME HOW BRITS ARE GOING TO VOTE AT THE EMMYs BASED ON THEM!

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I agree. Although what we can comfortably say is that considering the jury shortlist of 4 of the longlist of 6 included a lot for The Crown and Succession (considering it’s an American show) like the shortlist of 4 of the longlist of 6 last year included a lot for Killing Eve and A Very English Scandal  that The Crown and Succession are ahead of Killing Eve.

FYC OSCARS : VANESSA KIRBY FOR "PIECES OF A WOMAN", GLENN CLOSE FOR "HILLBILLY ELEGY", ANTHONY HOPKINS FOR "THE FATHER", CHADWICK BOSEMAN FOR "MA RAINEY'S BLACK BOTTOM", PROMISING YOUNG WOMAN (BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

BAFTA’s ARE VOTED ON BY A JURY – NOT THE ENTIRE MEMBERSHIP.

YOU CANNOT ASSUME HOW BRITS ARE GOING TO VOTE AT THE EMMYs BASED ON THEM!

This is true – the results of awards decided by jury cannot be considered representative. But the jury decisions do indicate the wider perception of shows on some level (and they take this into account directly and indirectly when voting).

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Couverture
    Topics:

Got 9/26 as well lol. Did Chernobyl become the sole most awarded show ever?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

BAFTA’s ARE VOTED ON BY A JURY – NOT THE ENTIRE MEMBERSHIP. YOU CANNOT ASSUME HOW BRITS ARE GOING TO VOTE AT THE EMMYs BASED ON THEM!

But people are predicting Carter based on the Crown’s finale, no?

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

For clarification look at the Series winners at BAFTA in the past decade :

2020 – The End of the F***ing World
    2019 – Killing Eve
    2018 – Peaky Blinders
    2017 – Happy Valley
    2016 – Wolf Hall
    2015 – Happy Valley
    2014 – Broadchurch
    2013 – Last Tango in Halifax
    2012 – The Fades
    2011 – Sherlock
    2010 – Misfits

There is a trend here in that all of them were either gripping, modern crime dramas/thrillers and/or written by Sally Wainwright apart from Wolf Hall (which let’s face it was always going to win given it was directed by a television legend and how big the book is in the UK). The Crown was never going to win here because it was a lavish period drama. I mean Downton Abbey only got nominated once here but did that stop it getting success at the Emmys? No.

Were we talking about Bodyguard (which people were so overestimating in Writing last year when it got snubbed at BAFTA for Writing) losing Series like it did last year and saying that it meant it would do badly at the Emmys I’d agree considering BAFTA’s track record. The Crown is a strange exemption from this.

I mean Kirby winning here was already impressive enough.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

But people are predicting Carter based on the Crown’s finale, no?

Lightgow lost at BAFTAs under the same voting system. I’m still shocked Kirby actually managed to win considering they seem not love The Crown that much.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Lightgow lost at BAFTAs with ‘Assassins’ so…

But we knew Lithgow had support because he won CC and SAG. HBC has failed to win anything so far although CC and the Globe should have been easy wins for her, especially since Colman won the latter.

Also yikes at them not rewarding Lithgow for Assassins!

Oscar FYC -- Give Viola Davis her second Oscar!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

Lightgow lost at BAFTAs under the same voting system. I’m still shocked Kirby actually managed to win considering they seem not love The Crown that much.

I mean Kirby’s episode was clearly better than HBC’s and arguably Lithgow’s. She also hadn’t been recognised significantly by the industry prior to The Crown, and the jury clearly takes that into account as well.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    estrelas
    Topics:

But we knew Lithgow had support because he won CC and SAG. HBC has failed to win anything so far although CC and the Globe should have been easy wins for her, especially since Colman won the latter. Also yikes at them not rewarding Lithgow for Assassins!

Lightgow won SAG in a different category, while Helena had to compete with her co-star. I don’t like the arguments that she shouldve easily won GG just because. Meryl was the one that people were predicting the most (I think…) and Lightgow also lost there. And if you look closely, GG have been spreading the health for different shows. I can see the CC argument but then again, she lost to someone competing in Limited. And tbh they never liked The Crown that much. They snubbed Foy for season 1 and Kirby for season 2.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Lightgow won SAG in a different category, while Helena had to compete with her co-star. I don’t like the arguments that She shouldve easily won GG just because. Meryl was the one that people were predicting the most (I think…) and Lightgow also lost there. And if you look closely, GG have been spreading the health for different shows. I can see the CC argument but then again, she lost to someone competing in Limited. And tbh they never liked The Crown that much. They snubbed Foy for season 1 and Kirby for season 2.

Also with GG if we look at the last four winners they have all been from Limited Series so there seems to be a trend there.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 165 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.