Home Forums Television 2020 BAFTA TV Awards (Nominations Reactions)

2020 BAFTA TV Awards (Nominations Reactions)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
replies
views
users
FYC : J. Smit..
forwardswill
Craig Kell
  • Profile picture
    FYC : J. Smith-Cameron
    Topics:

I can’t speak for O’Connor but Helena’s performance was hugely acclaimed in UK. I’m also not surprised that only O’Connor and Helena got in speaking of the fact both had the most acclaimed performances, alongside Lapotaire. Menzies was also singled out but mostly because he was more suited for the role than Smith was. Also several people connected to the Royal family and people who knew Princess Margaret, said publicly that they loved Helena and that she was perfect in it. I even recall some people saying they liked Helena way more than Vanessa. So I don’t think it’s crazy at all to be predicting Helena to win.

I liked both Helena and Vanessa equally. I think the fact Menzies and Smith both got snubbed is as a result of them playing Prince Phillip.

I guess I predicted WTSU to win International as Succession had already triumphed in that category a year earlier. I don’t think Unbelievable or Euphoria have a chance though BAFTA can be unpredictable.

Yes but unlike the other categories there is precedence for a repeat winner here. Mad Men won two consecutive BAFTAs and the buzz for Succession in the UK in the industry is really high (even if it may not propel it to Emmy domination).

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    mafro987
    Topics:

I haven’t seen Top Boy so I can’t comment but out of the only two contenders the only person who can win Supporting Actress other than Carter is Naomi Ackie. I loved Behan’s performance but she didn’t really have a stand out performance and Ackie, although she has a chance, is in a show that is kind of a comedy which I don’t think helps.

We’ve already seen Vanessa Kirby triumph as one of the two well known names in her category in 2018 because of her dynamite episode submission. If HBC submits Cri de Coeur or Margaretology she more or less has a 75% chance of winning.

Josh O’Connor could lose to either Joe Absolom or Stellan Skarsgard but I feel that Skarsgard has that case of “big name film star” who gets nominated at the BAFTAs and loses (e.g. Hugh Grant, John Lithgow) whilst Absolom although his work was fantastic again doesn’t have a particular showcase episode I can remember. They are not going to give it to Will Sharpe (he says when BAFTA do give it as a shock twist of fate).

I also think the fact Josh O’Connor appeared in three British dramas last year helps in a way.

I agree with much of this post, although having also seen Top Boy I think Jobson is very deserving, gives a transformative performance and has several potential submissions. My point was that the big names/big shows don’t always win (irrespective of the current voting system BAFTA has in place).

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

I find it interesting that Unbelievable got in when Watchmen didn’t (I wasn’t predicting either).

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Gabarnes43
    Topics:

I’ve not heard any buzz from Watchmen in the UK. Unbelievable was quite popular on Netflix here.

FYC Emmys-
    Limited-
    UNBELIEVABLE, Quiz, Years and Years, Defending Jacob in all Categories
    Merritt Wever, Toni Collette, Matthew Macfadyen, Emma Thompson, Chris Evans & Michelle Dockery

Drama-
    STRANGER THINGS, The Morning Show, Big Little Lies, The Crown, Killing Eve
    - Jennifer Aniston, VIOLA DAVIS, Jodie Comer, Sandra Oh, Nicole Kidman, Olivia Colman
    - FIONA SHAW, HBC

Comedy-
    SCHITTS CREEK, Dead to Me, Sex Education
    - Catherine O’Hara, Annie Murphy, Christina Applegate, Linda Ca

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

I’ve not heard any buzz from Watchmen in the UK. Unbelievable was quite popular on Netflix here.

It was literally trending on UK Twitter whenever an episode aired…

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I’m quite sad and surprised that Emily Watson is missing, when literally everyone else from her production is there. It feels wrong somehow, especially as she won the last time she was BAFTA nominated so I guess they like her? I thought she could have gone in lead or supporting, but oh well, I’m still glad that the Emmys, Golden Globes and SAG recognised her.

I can’t be sad for too long however when two of my other favourites, Glenda Jackson and Samantha Morton made it in. Never thought I’d see both in the same lineup!

FYC:

Antonio Banderas and Asier Etxeandia, Dolor y Gloria (Best Actor/Supporting Actor)
    Emily Beecham, Little Joe (Best Actress)
    Ian McKellen and Helen Mirren, The Good Liar (Best Actor/Actress)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    rodben2000
    Topics:

What does Cillian Murphy need to do more to get recognized? Usually when performances that I love very much are snubbed by tv awards I get a little upset but in the same way I understand that it is “part of the game”. But in this case I really don’t understand why is so difficult for them to give this man the recognition he deserves. Is it because he is Irish and not British? I’ve said it before and I will say it again, this man gives one of the best TV performances of the decade. His character is so reminiscent of Michael Corleone in the Godfather and IMO Cillian Murphy is much better in Peaky Blinders than Al Pacino is in the Godfather.

FYC Emmys: Cillian Murphy(Best Drama Actor)| Unbelievable, Merritt Wever, Toni Collette and Kaytlin Dever| Claire Danes(Best Actress) and Mandy Patinkin(Supporting Actor)| El Camino(TV Movie), Aaron Paul and Jesse Plemons| Sacha Baron Cohen(Limited Series Actor)| Ben Mendelsohn(Drama Actor)| Nicole Kidman(Drama Actress)| Idris Elba(Drama Actor)| Better Call Saul in all categories with a special mention to Tony Dalton(Supporting Actor) and Rhea Seehorn (Supporting Actress).

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

Well BBC News is making the snub a big thing in its lunch time news report apparently and the BAFTA chief executive had to specifically address it. Bit much but I guess that’s due to her status in UK.

I take awards more seriously than they deserve, but this is ridiculous.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    John Nguyen
    Topics:

just wondering is sucession the first non British show to be nominated for a bafta craft award?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    forwardswill
    Topics:

No it is not

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Craig Kell
    Topics:

How does one go about predicting the Best Scripted Casting Award? I had a hard time doing it for the BAFTA film awards earlier this year.

Straight away, I’d have said Chernobyl given the huge cast they got for it but I feel like any of the four nominees can win. I’m still getting used to understanding the significant role of a casting director lol.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Ben Heath (Articufilm)
    Topics:

From my understanding, the scripted casting award is about how well suited the actors are to their roles. With a show like Chernobyl which only has a few big-name actors, there are still lots of other smaller one episode roles, played by recognisable faces for British voters, who the voters would recognise. Outside Chernobyl, I reckon Top Boy is the only other show which can challenge, because of the feedback towards the entire cast when it came out

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    AMG
    Topics:

RE: Helena Bonham Carter

She’s never won a TV BAFTA, from her two nominations. Last year Benedict Cumberbatch won after an ‘overdue’ narrative came into play, despite many people agreed that Hugh Grant was more deserving for his performance.

TV Supporting Actress over the ten years it’s been awarded, has nearly exclusively gone to either actresses prominently known for extensive TV work (Gemma Jones, Fiona Shaw, Sarah Lancashire), or newer faces (Wunmi Mosaku, Chanel Cresswell, Lauren Socha).

Helena is seen primarily as a film actress by many. That doesn’t quite fit the mould of Supporting Actress winners.

RE: Gillian Anderson
    I think in some roles, BAFTA have snubbed her. In a category as competitive as ‘Female Performance In A Comedy’, I don’t think she’s a ‘snub’ for Sex Education. She’d stand a chance if they treated comedy as equal to drama and split it into leading and supporting. She wouldn’t win because Sian Clifford is there, but a nod would have been likely.

Given the fact Joker won the inaugural film casting BAFTA, the size of the ensemble clearly doesn’t matter.

I see it being Top Boy that takes casting. Giving credit to the team for finding young black British talent that many schemes (several of which BAFTA supports and funds) are missing out on for many reasons.

I like to think that Casting should celebrate casting directors finding new talent, or finding ways to tackle the issues that are systemic within the industry which can be effectively changed in part through casting decisions. Identification of new talent is a big area of work for BAFTA, and I’d like to think that Casting helps them support this work further.

Check out more of my thoughts on Twitter (@AMG_Review) and Instagram (amg_reviews)

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

Given the fact Joker won the inaugural film casting BAFTA, the size of the ensemble clearly doesn’t matter. I see it being Top Boy that takes casting. Giving credit to the team for finding young black British talent that many schemes (several of which BAFTA supports and funds) are missing out on for many reasons. I like to think that Casting should celebrate casting directors finding new talent, or finding ways to tackle the issues that are systemic within the industry which can be effectively changed in part through casting decisions. Identification of new talent is a big area of work for BAFTA, and I’d like to think that Casting helps them support this work further.

I think Giri/Haji stands a chance too. I don’t see it going outside these two shows.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Brayden Fitzsimmons
    Topics:

No it is not

What is the others been?

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 89 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.