Home Forums Television 2020 Emmy Awards Ballots

2020 Emmy Awards Ballots

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 350 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
replies
views
users
Luca Giliberti
forwardswill
Eden
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

You can now predict Competition Program and Reality Host. That does it for our Emmys event on this round of voting. I’m working on the Gold Derby Awards next and hope to have it ready by mid-week.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Emmyfan
    Topics:

Not that she’s getting nominated but did anyone else notice that Anna Faris is now submitting in supporting for Mom?

This kind of reminds me when Teri Hatcher submitted in Supporting Actress in 2012 for the last season of Desperate Housewives.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    jacob121
    Topics:

For some reason the Variety Talk thread is locked but wanted to get people’s thoughts – now that the category is down to 5, who is getting dropped?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Big Little Lies not submitting Andrea Arnold for directing??! Wtf. I would have thought after all the drama that she would be a priority for HBO. Silly such a prolific show isn’t submitting. Also, they should have submitted 2×02 for writing.

Mark Mylod says hi.

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Julien Veyrenc
    Topics:

For some reason the Variety Talk thread is locked but wanted to get people’s thoughts – now that the category is down to 5, who is getting dropped?

I think Kimmel will

Last Week Tonight & Full Frontal are really really good.

I think what will count this year is how well they all put up with quarantine and hosting their shows from home. Trevor Noah & Meyers did very well. Colbert & Corden are safe bets and were nominated these last few years.

In my opinion, Kimmel & Fallon are the least likely to get in.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I really hope Clea DuVall gets in. She’s so underrated.

She should have gotten in for Veep last year.

FYC Emmys : Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Russell Tovery ("Years and Years"), Helena Bonham Carter ("The Crown") & The Crown, His Dark Materials, Years and Years, Succession and The Affair in all categories. The Politician : Ben Platt, Gwyneth Paltrow, Bette Midler and Judith Light.

FYC Goldderby Awards : MAURA TIERNEY AND DOMINIC WEST FOR THE FINAL SEASON OF THE AFFAIR

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Anna Farris submitting as supporting actress instead of lead? Major category fraud. She is colead with Janney

Actors are really taking advantage of the increase in nominations for SA. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a lot more category fraud for years to come.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Actors are really taking advantage of the increase in nominations for SA. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a lot more category fraud for years to come.

Like Anna Farris even stands a chance.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Rachel
    Topics:

Like Anna Farris even stands a chance.

Oh no, I totally agree with you but my point is that I can see actors taking advantage of this. I don’t blame them at all though; they might as well.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Oh no, I totally agree with you but my point is that I can see actors taking advantage of this. I don’t blame them at all though; they might as well.

No I totally agree and knew you didn’t mean she stood any chance. I just was saying it’s ironic that Anna Farris even think she stands a chance in the most competitive Comedy category.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    thedemonhog
    Topics:

Observations from finally going through the whole performers ballot:

– I did not realize that I was not predicting anyone after Eugene Levy in comedy lead actor.  I feel like Thomas Middleditch might be helped most by the reverse ballot.  That is about when I imagine voters would start to panic that they had not checked anyone off (or that it had been a long time since Ramy Youssef).

– Drama lead actor has a lot going on at the start and then a very long middle without anyone really of note, basically after Brian Cox.  The beneficiary is Ben Mendelsohn, who borders Tobias Menzies.  I do not think that it really helps anyone who is going reverse-alphabetically after those two.

– Might have to drop Nicole Kidman for Jodie Comer.

– There are a lot of bad pictures, but Shira Haas is one of the worst.

– Why is James Marsden credited only “as Steve Wood”?  Even Bob Odenkirk lists “Gene Takovic” and that is just an alias, not a whole character.

– Ncuti Gatwa is tempting.  I feel like he stands out as a fresh choice.

– How is it still “A” on the fourth page of drama supporting actor?

– Nicholas Braun’s picture could have leaned more into his cousin Greg persona.  Will have to move him down.

– The limited supporting actor ballot is overall pretty blah.  If I were predicting Amit Rahav, I would feel better about that.  The blahness might make it easier for Watchmen to run the category, but those performances are also not showstoppers, so maybe we do get someone truly random.

– Comedy supporting actress is also blah.  Would not be surprised now if Anne Hathaway popped up.  There was life in that performance.  I need to figure out what to do about not predicting anyone before Annie Murphy in the backward ballot.

– Good on Jessica Frances Dukes for working a character description into her submission, with “as Special Agent Maya Miller” to remind people.  So many are listed with only a first name, i.e. “as Maya”.

– People that I scrolled over accidentally: Mandy Patinkin, Laura Dern

– Got to love when people have multiple performances and instead of using a different picture or the same one, they use the same one, but zoom in slightly.

– Drama supporting actress is when I am losing my patience with these massive ballots.

– Must have scrolled over Thandie Newton; I will get her when I go through backward.

– Predicting Meryl Streep and not Yvonne Strahovski is seeming harder to justify.

– Not voting for Margo Martindale is also seeming hard to justify.  Maybe I need to drop Allison Janney too and just have five Mrs. America women with Jean Smart.  Or maybe I need to drop Rose Byrne, just because her performance was more divisive than Martindale’s?  It does not matter that it had more passion.  I need to ponder this category.

– Christopher Meloni is actually not looking so bad on this ballot.  Maybe he finally comes back.  I continue to have a bad feeling about Gerald McRaney.  Maybe Martin Short?

– Comedy guest actress remains a mess.  I feel like nothing in Jane Lynch’s ballot description was actually depicted on screen in Space Force.  I feel like Isla Fisher had a memorable role, but is Curb Your Enthusiasm too old?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    boss
    Topics:

Not voting for Margo Martindale is also seeming hard to justify.  Maybe I need to drop Allison Janney too and just have five Mrs. America women with Jean Smart.  Or maybe I need to drop Rose Byrne, just because her performance was more divisive than Martindale’s?  It does not matter that it had more passion.  I need to ponder this category.

Four Mrs. America ladies in adittion to Smart and Collette seems locked to me.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

– I did not realize that I was not predicting anyone after Eugene Levy in comedy lead actor.  I feel like Thomas Middleditch might be helped most by the reverse ballot.  That is about when I imagine voters would start to panic that they had not checked anyone off (or that it had been a long time since Ramy Youssef).

It’s clear most of the nominees will come from the first half of the alphabetical ballot, while Youssef and Levy are on the reversed one. That’s in line with previous years. If you divide the ballot in two, last year, Levy was the only one from the second half and the year before that, Macy.

– Drama lead actor has a lot going on at the start and then a very long middle without anyone really of note, basically after Brian Cox.  The beneficiary is Ben Mendelsohn, who borders Tobias Menzies.  I do not think that it really helps anyone who is going reverse-alphabetically after those two.

I dropped Menzies for Ventimiglia. Unlike Comedy Actor, in the past two years, three nominees came from the first half and three from the other half. I’m predicting Bateman, Brown and Cox from the first half. Going from Z to A, Ventimiglia stands the best chance. Then comes Strong, then Porter and Odenkirk. This is when I became skeptical of Odenkirk making it. I can’t say he has more visibility than Strong and Porter.

Speaking of ballot advantages, I’m predicting Macfadyen and McTeer not to get in because of their placement, despite being part of perhaps the two biggest shows. What are your thoughts?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

I still think ballot placements are misleading; I think people are considering them way too much. Sure, I’d love for, for instance, Yvonne to benefit from being above Meryl, but if they weren’t going to vote for her in the first place, why would they now? It could serve as a reminder that Yvonne is still contending, which I guess could help, but that’s about it. Why would people vote for Jodie just because she’s after Olivia? Everyone knows Jodie is eligible (especially since the season JUST aired), so it’s not like they need a reminder. They might have liked Olivia but not Jodie, thus vote for the former but not the latter.

This idea that being on the same page as a (presumed) frontrunner would entail that voters are incredibly lazy and don’t have a general idea of who they’re voting for going in. We don’t like to give voters a lot of credit, but are they really that lazy? IMO, they go in and check off the shows and performances they like. Last year, we got a lineup of Adams, Arquette, Ellis, King, Nash and Williams in lead actress because either the performances were hailed and/or those shows were favorites. Same with most other categories.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Roney Moore
    Topics:

Anyone noticed Susan Kelechi Watson is finally correctly listed under her surname W instead of her middle name K after 3 years? Heh, I wonder if she specifically requested for that.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 331 through 345 (of 350 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.