Home Forums Television 2020 Emmy Awards Ceremony Details

2020 Emmy Awards Ceremony Details

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 138 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Chris Beachum
String Cheese..
  • Profile picture
    aahoto
    Topics:

Does anyone have a link to a live stream that works outside of the US?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    The Person Formerly Known As Linguini
    Topics:

Anybody know how long the ceremony is? The Emmys are forcing me to become nocturnal.

rubbish

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    methaddiction
    Topics:

Anybody know how long the ceremony is? The Emmys are forcing me to become nocturnal.

3 hours.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

Does anyone have a link to a live stream that works outside of the US?

https://ustvgo.tv/

this should work if you select ABC

rubbish

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    aahoto
    Topics:

https://ustvgo.tv/

this should work if you select ABC

Thank you so much!

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    nevkm
    Topics:

Thank you so much!

ustvgo is not a good link. Try this instead

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkbQWX5gbW0

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Topics:

It’s not a good link. Try this instead https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkbQWX5gbW0

They only stream their pre-ceremony discussions, you have to pay the ABC website to access the actual livestream. There are no legal, free outlets to stream the whole thing.

rubbish

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Yay Catherine O’Hara!

Are Emmys not personalized like Oscars? How are they having standbys for every nominee?

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    bondzzz
    Topics:

i found this stream. it has somebody on the video also but u can still see the emmys ceremony.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0Muw_fpxno

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Topics:

USTVNow. Set up a free account and there you go.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Eden
    Topics:

I wanted to share my thoughts on the whole show instead of splitting it through three threads, so bear with me.

I somehow ended up fourth in the rankings. I was pretty sure the categories I didn’t get right would drag me down because I had winners ranked fourth or sixth.

I’ll start with Schitt’s Creek. Sweeping every comedy category is huge, but I find the show overrated. Being a late discovery and just ending its runs came at the right time and the Emmys love whatever is the big thing at the moment, not necessarily the best. My belief is that the show won’t age well. It will be loved, but not a TV classic. The Directing win is still baffling and for me personally, the Writing one as well. I would go with awarding it Series, Actress and Writing or Supporting, but the weak field led to the sweep. I’m glad I overcame my personal distaste and actually predicted it for directing, getting only Murphy wrong. In terms of the wins, Eugene was especially helped by the state of his category. I’m not ready to say that Shalhoub was hurt by Brown, since Schitt’s Creek sweeped and Borstein lost.

Limited Series was more interesting. I mentioned the other day my doubt of who’s taking Actor, mentioning Mescal, Jackman and Ruffalo and the general opinion around here was that it’s an easy one. So I moved Ruffalo down to fourth, thinking Irons might end up benefiting from a sweep. I didn’t think too much about the limited categories ever since the predictions center opened, which is why I kept Abdul-Mateen II and Aduba. Otherwise, I would’ve gone other ways. Two things to say here. First, Aduba was the most transparent win at trying to make a political statement. I’ve said that voters obviously didn’t watch the show and therefore, she won’t be hurt by vote-splitting. Second, and I’ll repeat what I said yesterday, Parsons was the most delusional prediction on the forums this year. A passable performance with a terrible character development from a subpar snubbed show. I’m pretty sure the runner-up was either Burgess or Gossett Jr.

Sagand made a great comment about Watchmen in one of the other threads, saying that the Nelson snub was a red flag of where voters’ minds are. The political show of the year won’t be awarding white performances.

The real Jason Bateman of 2020 was actually Maria Schrader. And I’m making this a thing since it fits perfectly. The series winner (Game of Thrones/Watchmen) has three nominated episodes and due to vote-splitting, the win goes to the dark horse who just made a splash on nominations day (Ozark/Unorthodox).

And finally, drama. Zendaya is probably my proudest prediction. It just made sense considering the previous winners in the categories. As I said earlier, the Emmys love the popular thing of the moment. It’s the Maslany and Comer, whose only difficulty is the nomination. My theory of Strong and Cox being first and second and not being hurt by vote-splitting might be true, mostly because of what happened in Directing. That was the biggest surprise for me, since I saw the finale as a bigger directorial achievement and didn’t even think about “Hunting”, so I dropped it to sixth, similarly with every double episode. I’m also not giving up on the “first/last season”, slightly adjusted now, being first-time nominee instead of first season.

I was wrong about Snook and I admit my mistake, but I don’t see how it happened. It made so much sense that I didn’t realize Garner is a favorite among voters. I still believe the acting branch hasn’t seen the third season of Ozark. Personally, Crudup was the worst win of the night. I find his performance a likeable cardboard, but what was the alternative? On the topic, I don’t think the popular vote is fair in a category of eight. Crudup easily could’ve won with barely 15% of the votes.

I thought the whole show would be a mess because of how it’s done, but it was fairly decent. I wish the reactions screens were bigger and expected the whole ceremony to be shorter due to its format, but oh well. Not sure why they would separate drama, comedy and limited. How do you expect to keep your audience through the whole show when the whole first hour was basically a private party for a white Canadian show?

The slate of winners was great. It embraced new in comedy, relevance and quality in limited and the Succession win almost makes up for the last two Series wins for Game of Thrones.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    eastwest
    Topics:

The best set of winners in a longtime (ZENDAYA!). The show itself was fine given the circumstances. As someone who works in live TV, I know all involved were SWEATING chile. This is a solid format I can see the upcoming award shows using.

And congrats, Eden! No shade to the top three, but you’re number one and the true MVP of the active users.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    KristineML
    Topics:

Someone on Twitter made a good point that the comedy/drama/limited categories being so lumped together means that they don’t have to have the whole crew from every show on standby at all times. Makes sense because all that insane amount of cameras in different places with limited ways of directing them would make it incredibly hard to splice everything together. After the first hour or so they can have the comedy nominees turn off their cameras and be completely done, while the drama nominees can completely sit back and relax until their turn in the night.

With the Schitt’s Creek team in Toronto, it also made it easier with the time difference.  Their part was over around 9pm.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Zooey the Dreamer
    Topics:

I’m still mad because of that Olivia de Havilland snub. This was ugly. The woman was one of Hollywood’s biggest stars ever. And it isn’t as if she wasn’t somebody who had done plenty of TV. According to IMDB, she was in three big miniseries (one of which brought her an Emmy nomination), she was in five TV movies, and she had guest appearances on several TV shows. Add to that her stature in the film community and the snub is really ridiculous. The Academy really disappointed with this one. This is a huge injustice.

ReplyCopy URL
    Profile picture
    Atypical
    Topics:

Logistically, I think the telecast was a success. More of Kimmel than I needed to see, but he knows how to keep a live show moving. Very nice touch getting regular people to present some of the major categories. That really brought the proceedings back down to Earth in light of the global pandemic. I’m still wondering how they managed to have Emmys ready for all of the contenders. They must not be engraved like the Oscars. Some of the winners were presented with Emmys, and others weren’t. The producers might have hedged their bets on who was most likely to win versus the longshots, and of course, none of the international winners were given trophies. Some thrilling winners overall, especially the “Schitt’s Creek” sweep, which was incredible and gave me my life! So deserving and overdue! They did that shit! I stuck to my guns on people like Mark Ruffalo, Billy Crudup, Dan Levy, Maya Rudolph, and others, while being saddened over the losses of Brian Cox, Sarah Snook, Tituss Burgess, etc. All will hopefully have more opportunities for Emmy gold in the future. Best speeches of the night? Really liked Annie Murphy’s, just b/c of how shocked she was. Regina King, the director from “Unorthodox,” the ebullience of Zendaya’s family and friends, and the series win for “Succession.” Jesse Armstrong just gives no fucks, and I liveee! Worst acceptance speeches? Didn’t think that Crudup’s speech was that great, and Jeremy Strong is such an awkward dude. The “Friends” but was cute. H.E.R. was fantastic in the In Memoriam. The exploding Emmys running gags and the fire extinguisher bit? Nope. Racing through to the end and no acting clips for the majority of the show was unfortunate. Monologue was good. The show didn’t run long. The no-shows were understandable, but disappointing. I wouldn’t mind this format for the next crop of award shows.

ReplyCopy URL
Viewing 15 posts - 121 through 135 (of 138 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.