Home Forums Television 2020 Emmy Awards (SUPER EARLY) Predictions

2020 Emmy Awards (SUPER EARLY) Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 502 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca Giliberti
gabarnes43
  • wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

I know this is way too early (before 2019 noms have been announced!!!!). But seeming lots of shows are avoiding the May 31st cut off to not compete with Game of Thrones or Veep, and we know many high profile premiere dates, I was wondering what were all our 2020 predictions? I noticed it was taking up space in the 2019 predictions thread and I thought why not for fun?

DRAMA SERIES

1. Big Little Lies (HBO)
    2. The Crown (Netflix)
    3. Better Call Saul (AMC)
    4. The Morning Show (Apple)
    5. Homeland (Showtime)
    6. Stranger Things (Netflix)
    7. The Handmaids Tale (Hulu)

Alt : Are You Sleeping (Apple), Doctor Who (BBC America), The Good Fight (CBS), Killing Eve (BBC America), Orange is the New Black (Netflix), Ozark (Netflix), Pose (FX), This is Us (NBC), Succession (HBO), Westworld (HBO)

DRAMA ACTRESS

1. Olivia Colman – The Crown (Netflix)
    2. Nicole Kidman – Big Little Lies (HBO)
    3. Jennifer Aniston – The Morning Show (Apple)
    4. Sandra Oh – Killing Eve (BBC America)
    5. Reese Witherspoon – Big Little Lies (HBO)
    6. Elisabeth Moss – The Handmaid’s Tale (Hulu)

Alt : Christine Baranski (The Good Fight), Jodie Comer (Killing Eve), Claire Danes (Homeland), Laura Linney (Ozark), Octavia Spencer (Are You Sleeping), Evan Rachel Wood (Westworld), Jodie Whittaker (Doctor Who)

DRAMA ACTOR

1. Steve Carell – The Morning Show (Apple)
    2. Bob Odenkirk – Better Call Saul (AMC)
    3. Jason Bateman – Ozark (Netflix)
    4. Sterling K. Brown – This Is Us (NBC)
    5. Tobias Menzies – The Crown (Netflix)
    6. Billy Porter – Pose (FX)

Alt : Brian Cox (Succession), Liev Schreiber (Ray Donovan), Milo Ventimiglia (This is Us)

DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTRESS

1. Meryl Streep – Big Little Lies (HBO)
    2. Helena Bonham Carter – The Crown (Netflix)
    3. Millie Bobby Brown – Stranger Things (Netflix)
    4. Reese Witherspoon – The Morning Show (Apple)
    5. Laura Dern – Big Little Lies (HBO)
    6. Thandie Newton – Westworld (HBO)
    7. Uzo Aduba – Orange is the New Black (Netflix)

Alt : Alexis Bledel (The Handmaid’s Tale), Lizzie Caplan (Are You Sleeping), Ann Dowd (The Handmaid’s Tale), Julia Garner (Ozark), Zoe Kravitz (Big Little Lies), Gugu Mbatha Raw (The Morning Show), Fiona Shaw (Killing Eve), Yvonne Strahovski (The Handmaid’s Tale), Shailene Woodley (Big Little Lies)

DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTOR

1. David Harbour – Stranger Things (Netflix)
    2. Jonathan Banks – Better Call Saul (AMC)
    3. Josh O’Connor – The Crown (Netflix)
    4. Mandy Patinkin – Homeland (Showtime)
    5. Aaron Paul – Westworld (HBO)
    6. Kieran Culkin – Succession (HBO)
    7. Billy Crudup – The Morning Show (Apple)

Alt : Jason Watkins (The Crown), Charles Dance (The Crown), Ron Cephas Jones (Are You Sleeping), Aaron Paul (Are You Sleeping), Justin Hartley (This is Us)

COMEDY SERIES

1. The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (Amazon)
    2. The Politician (Netflix)
    3. Barry (HBO)
    4. Atlanta (FX)
    5. The Good Place (NBC)
    6. GLOW (Netflix)
    7. Black-ish (ABC)

Alt : The Kominsky Method, Will and Grace, Russian Doll, Silicon Valley, Sex Education, Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Conners

COMEDY ACTRESS

1. Rachel Brosnahan – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (Amazon)
    2. Jessica Lange – The Politician (Netflix)
    3. Allison Janney – Mom (CBS)
    4. Alison Brie – GLOW (Netflix)
    5. Tracee Ellis Ross – Black-ish (ABC)
    6. Pamela Adlon – Better Things (FX)

Alt : Kristen Bell (The Good Place), Issa Rae (Insecure), Candice Bergen (Murphy Brown), Debra Messing (Will & Grace)

COMEDY ACTOR

1. Ben Platt – The Politician (Netflix)
    2. Bill Hader – Barry (HBO)
    3. Donald Glover – Atlanta (FX)
    4. Michael Douglas – The Kominsky Method (Netflix)
    5. Ted Danson – The Good Place (NBC)
    6. Anthony Anderson – Black-ish (ABC)

Alt : Larry David (Curb Your Enthusiasm), Jim Carrey (Kidding), William H Macy (Shameless), John Goodman (The Conners)

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS

1. Alex Borstein – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (Amazon)
    2. Kate McKinnon – Saturday Night Live (NBC)
    3. Betty Gilpin – GLOW (Netflix)
    4. Zazia Beatz – Atlanta (FX)
    5. Gwyneth Paltrow – The Politician (Netflix)
    6. D’Arcy Carden – The Good Place (NBC)

Alt : Gillian Anderson (Sex Education), Marin Hinkle (The Marvelous Mrs Maisel), Leslie Jones (SNL), Laurie Metcalf (The Conners), Megan Mullaly (Will and Grace)

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR

1. Tony Shalhoub – The Marvelous Mrs Maisel (Amazon)
    2. Alan Arkin – The Kominsky Method (Netflix)
    3. Henry Winkler – Barry (HBO)
    4. Alec Baldwin – Saturday Night Live (NBC)
    5. Brian Tyree Henry – Atlanta (FX)
    6. Sean Hayes – Will and Grace (NBC)

Alt : William Jackson Harper (The Good Place), Kumail Najiani (Silicon Valley), Lakeith Stanfield (Atlanta), Kenan Thompson (SNL)

LIMITED SERIES/TV MOVIE

1. Years and Years (HBO)
    2. His Dark Materials (HBO)
    3. The Loudest Voice (Showtime)
    4. What/if (Netflix)
    5. Dracula (Netflix)

Alt : Mrs America, AHS, Watchmen, The New Pope, Giri/Haji, Perry Mason, Utopia

LIMITED ACTRESS

1. Emma Thompson – Years and Years (HBO)
    2. Cate Blanchett – Mrs America (FX)
    3. Regina King – Watchmen (HBO)
    4. Renee Zellweger – What/if (Netflix)
    5. Dafne Keen – His Dark Materials (HBO)
    6. Kelly MacDonald – Giri/Haji (Netflix)

Alt : Someone from AHS, Nicole Kidman

LIMITED ACTOR

1. Russell Crowe – The Loudest Voice (Showtime)
    2. Matthew Rhys – Perry Mason (HBO)
    3. Hugh Grant – The Undoing (HBO)
    4. Jeremy Irons – Watchmen (HBO)
    5. Claes Bang – Dracula (Netflix)
    6. James McAvoy – His Dark Materials (HBO)

Alt : ‌‌Blake Jenner (what/if), Rainn Wilson (Utopia)

LIMITED SUPP ACTRESS

1. Ruth Wilson – His Dark Materials (HBO)
    2. Jane Levy – what/if (Netflix)
    3. Lily Rabe – The Undoing (HBO)
    4. Sara Vickers – Watchmen (HBO)
    5. Jessica Hynes – Years and Years (HBO)
    6. Anne Reid – Years and Years (HBO)

FYC GG : The Crown, Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), The Politician, Years and Years, Maura Tierney ("The Affair"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FYC CC : His Dark Materials, Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FY SAG : The Crown, The Politician, Years and Years
    FYC BAFTA : His Dark Materials, Years and Years

DvirBA
    Participant
    Topics:

I really hope Westworld won’t be cut from Drama Series. That would be s shame.

Also, I think a lot of people overestimating the Apple shows. Arebt they supposed to be these ‘family-friendly’ network type shows? At least that’s what I remember Tim Cook saying once

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Not predicting any THT supporting actresses seem either extremely biased or just a bit premature IMO. Especially when you have Garner and Brown ahead of them.

Aunt Lydia will have her own episode in season 3, so hopefully Dowd returns.

Oscar FYC - Lupita Nyong'o & Elisabeth Moss ("Us") - Best Actress & Supporting Actress. It must happen; otherwise the Tethered are coming.

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

You forgot Sarah Paulson for Ratched (and the show itself).

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by  ginnala.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by  ginnala.
    Tyler
    Participant
    Topics:

It’s funny how last season we kept talking about how the 2019 season would be an absolute bloodbath (GOT, THT, BLL, The Crown) until basically every Drama competitor chickened out and now those categories feel particularly boring.

Now, there’s no way around it: 2020 will be insane for the Drama categories, although I hope Limited doesn’t suck again like last year.

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

Unless a new hit drama from HBO comes out between now and then that really hits it big with the public and with critics, or unless Succession somehow manages to REALLY hit a chord with voters and snag noms across the board (which I don’t believe it will), Westworld will most likely be returning. They LOVE those performers.

• This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by  Heptapod.
    • This reply was modified 7 months, 4 weeks ago by  Heptapod.
    wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

I mentioned this in the other thread (sorry if you responded already there), but I think you’re overestimating Homeland and underestimating Ozark. You also should include Wright and Harris in the alts for Lead Drama Actor.

Edit: And why are you so confident in Black-ish? I’d be surprised if Tracee Ellis Ross got nominated this year and I doubt she’d be able to come back after missing.

I forgot about Wright and Harris but I think Westworld’s noms will drop at the Emmys after the drop in guild support. I put Ellis Ross in beause I wasn’t sure about the sixth Actress slot, I think Black-ish will stick around and if Kominsky, CYE and SV don’t air in time, it gets in. It also helps that Veep and UKS will have ended.

I understand why you think I am overestimating Homeland, but I think Showtime will campaign hard for it due to it being its final season (it won’t win however). I slipped Ozark out of Drama Series and Actress because of how stacked it is, I don’t understand why some people are predicting Laura Linney for 2020 and instead saying Oh will get snubbed, especially seeming the latter is the favourite to win this year and has strong support at other ceremonies and guilds.

I agree with you about Apple, leaving The Morning Show out is insane, I think Are You Sleeping will miss in favour of something like Stranger Things, Westworld or Homeland however.

Not predicting any THT supporting actresses seem either extremely biased or just a bit premature IMO. Especially when you have Garner and Brown ahead of them.

Aunt Lydia will have her own episode in season 3, so hopefully Dowd returns.

I sined them out because of how stacked next year will be, I didn’t put Garner ahead of THT actresses. I think THT’s support at the Emmy’s is wading, this is evident from it disappearing in certain categories at other shows with only Moss and Strahovski returning as nominees. I think Dowd and Strahovski can return but it’s personally hard to see there being three in a year were Bonham Carter, Dern and Streep will have a more likely chance. I put Brown in because she is a previous nominee at SAG, GG and Emmy and I think we’re all underestimating ST. During awards season, Brown, Harbour and Wyder are the faces of the show and whilst I don’t Wyder has a chance next year, I will be shocked if Brown isn’t nominated if the Academy doesn’t want to be too BLL, Crown or THT centric.

FYC GG : The Crown, Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), The Politician, Years and Years, Maura Tierney ("The Affair"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FYC CC : His Dark Materials, Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FY SAG : The Crown, The Politician, Years and Years
    FYC BAFTA : His Dark Materials, Years and Years

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

I love how these predictions are based on THT and Westworld continuing downward trajectories. We have no idea whether the quality of the shows will decrease or not. Big Little Lies could easily slump like the aforementioned, but that’s not being taken into account either. I can see Woodley and maybe even Dern missing if that happens. Harris could drop back into supporting (the category which he belonged in and could’ve even won last year) and be nominated along with Paul? There are way too many possibilities to start talking in absolutes.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

Yeah.. I don’t understand all of the “Westworld might get one acting nomination” talk Season 2 wasn’t as good as Season 1 and yet it still got 3 lead acting nominations and won in supporting not to mention Paul joining the cast who actors love.

Kay
    Participant
    Topics:

Lol at all of this

Guest 2018
    Participant
    Topics:

Really? 2020? C’mon.

EsOS
    Participant
    Topics:

Really? 2020? C’mon.

You don’t want to participate? Then dont.

FYC: Octavia Spencer (Luce) - Best Supporting Actress

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Like what methaddiction said, I don’t understand why people think there’ll be a lack of support for Westworld come season 3. People were thinking the same thing about season 2, it almost went home empty handed for the main awards like the first season but it got Newton her deserved Emmy plus the Creatives. I would take the lack of guild support more seriously if it had actually gone home empty handed. When Paul comes in, I see him getting a nom with everyone else.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Westworld is “done” and it only got this far because HBO nailed the timing of it for the Emmys.  We saw the same thing with the fifth season of House of Cards where the Emmy voters did not have time to watch enough of it before nominations for a backlash to take effect.  Note how the major guilds dropped Westworld even with Game of Thrones, The Crown and Stranger Things ineligible.

methaddiction
    Participant
    Topics:

Westworld is “done” and it only got this far because HBO nailed the timing of it for the Emmys. We saw the same thing with the fifth season of House of Cards where the Emmy voters did not have time to watch enough of it before nominations for a backlash to take effect. Note how the major guilds dropped Westworld even with Game of Thrones, The Crown and Stranger Things ineligible.

It’s still airing in a way better time period than all of the other shows most likely Spring 2020. The Handmaid’s Tale, Stranger Things & Big Little Lies aren’t doing themselves any favors airing this early they aren’t going to have the same luck Game of Thrones had.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmy Awards (SUPER EARLY) Predictions’ is closed to new replies.