Home Forums Television 2020 Emmy Awards (SUPER EARLY) Predictions

2020 Emmy Awards (SUPER EARLY) Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 502 total)
Created
8 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca Giliberti
gabarnes43
  • kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

Killing Eve is for sure done at the Emmys after this year. I’m not ready to kick THT out from Series just yet due to politics at the Emmys, but it’s definitely hanging on by a thread and Westworld, in my opinion, is ahead of it based on the trailer alone (since the former apparently can’t seem to evolve in its storytelling but the latter can). I’m also here for Newton to be the JLD of Drama SActress (minus the first season, of course).

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

Limited Series Contenders:
    Mrs. America – FX
    Devs – FX
    American Horror Story: 1984 – FX
    The Loudest Voice – SHOWTIME
    The Undoing – HBO
    The Outsider – HBO
    Years and Years – HBO
    Catherine the Great – HBO
    Unbelievable – NETFLIX
    Dracula – NETFLIX
    Luther – BBC AMERICA

Television Movie Contenders:
    Black Mirror: Season 5 – NETFLIX
    Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt: The Movie – NETFLIX
    Share – HBO
    American Huckster – HBO (?)
    The Transparent Musicale Finale – AMAZON

It will be in limited series due to a new rule.

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

It will be in limited series due to a new rule.

That’s if it does not have any television episodes that air within a certain time limit.

FYC GG : The Crown, Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), The Politician, Years and Years, Maura Tierney ("The Affair"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FYC CC : His Dark Materials, Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FY SAG : The Crown, The Politician, Years and Years
    FYC BAFTA : His Dark Materials, Years and Years

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

You have way too much faith in Killing Eve and The Handmaid’s Tale IMO. Westworld and Ratched definitely seem stronger than either to me, and I could see good arguments for Truth Be Told, Watchmen, and even Ozark over them.

If Killing Eve breaks through this year, I can see it hanging on to its series nomination, with THT, it just depends how this season goes (it is hanging on a lose thread and could lose it’s nomination to Watchmen, Westworld or Ozark). I don’t think Ozark is as strong as KE or THT, but we’ll just have to wait and see, the drop in guild support when The Crown and Stranger Things weren’t eligible for Westworld is noteworthy (however, I think it is a lock in S.Actress and S.Actor). In my opinion Ratched’s only buzz is for Ryan Murphy and Sarah Paulson (and as we have seen this year, Murphy had the buzz for Pose, but will it make it in Drama Series or Writing?) and I don’t think Apple will manage to successfully get its two flagship shows into contention in all major categories when it is relatively new (however I think the star factor for TMS will help and OS for TT), which is why I am predicting TMS to break into Comedy Series, Actress, Actor, S.Actress and S.Actor but only Actress for Truth Be Told .

FYC GG : The Crown, Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), The Politician, Years and Years, Maura Tierney ("The Affair"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")
    FYC CC : His Dark Materials, Ruth Wilson ("His Dark Materials"), Jodie Comer ("Killing Eve"), Russell Tovey ("Years and Years")

wolfali
    Participant
    Topics:

She gets a lot more to do in the second episode and based on preview for episode 4 she’s definitely got a lot more material to work with.

The question is, will HBO fraud her into Lead (which would be totally undeserving, she deserves to win Supporting by a landslide) in order to place other actresses for the series into Supporting?

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

As stacked as next year’s drama actress is, I think those leaving out Regina King are making a huge mistake!

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the only drama lock is The Crown (and thus Colman and Bonham-Carter) because it’s the easiest returning show to get right.

We really don’t know how most of these new/returning shows are going to fare. I will say that I can see Killing Eve being dropped, and that The Handmaid’s Tale continues its downward trend, but that’s about it.

For Your Consideration:

Best International Feature: Instinct (The Netherlands)
    Best Actress: Carice van Houten (Instinct)

The Artist Formerly Known as Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:
    1. Current predictions, under the assumption that The Morning Show is in Comedy

COMEDY

1. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    2. Barry
    3. The Good Place
    4. Atlanta
    5. The Morning Show
    6. The Politician 
    7. GLOW

COMEDY LEAD ACTRESS

1. Rachel Brosnahan, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    2. Jennifer Aniston, The Morning Show 
    3. Alison Brie, GLOW
    4. Jessica Lange, The Politician 
    5. Issa Rae, Insecure
    6. Aidy Bryant, Shrill

COMEDY LEAD ACTOR

1. Steve Carrell, The Morning Show
    2. Ted Danson, The Good Place 
    3. Bill Hader, Barry
    4. Donald Glover, Atlanta
    5. Michael Douglas, The Kominsky Method
    6. Ben Platt, The Politician 

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS

1. Alex Borstein, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel 
    2. Kate McKinnon, SNL
    3. Zazie Beetz, Atlanta 
    4. D’arcy Carden, The Good Place 
    5. Gugu Mbatha-Raw, The Morning Show 
    6. Gwyneth Paltrow, The Politician 
    7. Leslie Jones, SNL

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR

1. Tony Shalhoub, The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel 
    2. Bryan Tyree Henry, Atlanta
    3. Alan Arkin, The Kominsky Method
    4. Billy Crudup, The Morning Show 
    5. Kenan Thompson, SNL
    6. Lakeith Stanfield, Atlanta 

DRAMA SERIES

1. The Crown
    2. Big Little Lies
    3. Better Call Saul 
    4. His Dark Materials
    5. Westworld 
    6. Watchmen
    7. Stranger Things

DRAMA LEAD ACTRESS 

1. Olivia Colman, The Crown
    2. Nicole Kidman, Big Little Lies
    3. Regina King, Watchmen
    4. Sandra Oh, Killing Eve
    5. Octavia Spencer, Truth Be Told 
    6. Reese Witherspoon, Big Little Lies
    7. Elisabeth Moss, The Handmaid’s Tale 

DRAMA LEAD ACTOR

1. Bob Odenkirk, Better Call Saul
    2. Jeremy Irons, Watchmen
    3. Tobias Menzies, The Crown 
    4. Jeffrey Wright, Westworld
    5. <li style=”text-align: left;”>Sterling K Brown, This is Us

6. Jason Bateman, Ozark

DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTRESS 

1. Thandie Newton, Westworld 
    2. Helena Bonham Carter, The Crown
    3. Meryl Streep, Big Little Lies 
    4. Ruth Wilson, His Dark Materials 
    5. Laura Dern, Big Little Lies 
    6. Shailene Woodley, Big Little Lies 
    7. Millie Bobby Brown, Stranger Things 

DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTOR 

1. David Harbour, Stranger Things 
    2. Jonathan Banks, Better Call Saul 
    3. Don Johnson, Watchmen
    4. James McAvoy, His Dark Materials 
    5. Lin Manuel Miranda, His Dark Materials 
    6. Noah Schnapp, Stranger Things 

I’ll do Limited/Movie separately ‘cos I know nothing about most of the contenders

Mukund
    Participant
    Topics:

I love Westworld but predicting it before THT doesn’t feel right. WW looks good from the trailer but that can’t be our only basis for predicting it. It was dropped from every major guild and S2 was very divisive. S3 could very well be the same. It didn’t even win much despite the absence of Game of Thrones and Stranger Things.

Moreover, what I gathered from the early reviews was that THT S3 has similar problems as S2 but isn’t necessarily worse than the back half of S2. It isn’t going to be a top contender like it used to be but I still see it getting nominated.

kellis
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the problem is that The Handmaid’s Tale can’t seem to evolve in its storytelling, whereas Westworld has no problem doing so. People get tired when they get fed the same thing over and over again, such as having two seasons full of June’s one million “escapes” (to compare, KE is suffering from two [probably 3] seasons of cat-and-mouse). That being said, I still think it’s getting in.

“No user starts this shady” - someone culturally relevant.

zkrons
    Participant
    Topics:

So This Is Us, Succession, & Pose have no chance in Series next year?

TVFan365
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m also here for Newton to be the JLD of Drama SActress (minus the first season, of course).

I think Nancy Marchand is the better comparison. Lou Grant was on for 5 seasons and she won an Emmy for 4 out of the 5 seasons.

Lupita Nyong'o will win the Best Actress Oscar for "Us."

Heptapod
    Participant
    Topics:

So This Is Us, Succession, & Pose have no chance in Series next year?

We’ll have to see how This Is Us performs this year before looking at its chances for next year. It hasn’t been getting the same buzz and love that it did when it premiered, but it’s certainly been doing well enough to repeat if voters are comfortable enough to keep it around. If it can somehow get Moore or Hartley in this year, then I think that that’s a sign that it still has enough goodwill to repeat for season four, but if Brown and Ventimiglia are still the only two nominated (and honestly even if Watson makes it three), then I say that it’s on very thin ice. For Succession, unless it racks up MAJOR nods this year (I’m talking directing and writing and more than one acting), then I’d say yes, but at this point, I don’t think it’ll repeat. The voters don’t seem to want to nominate more than two HBO shows, and Big Little Lies and Westworld will be in line before Succession is. Unfortunately, I don’t think Pose stands a chance. Just getting nominated this year will be its success, and while Porter could definitely repeat, I don’t think that the series as a whole will survive against all the returning heavy hitters.

Riley
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Succession should be fine for a while, at least as the drama equivalent of Silicon Valley.

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

I think everyone is underestimating Ratched and Sarah Paulson. I predict that to be huge and I can already see critics saying it’s “Sarah Paulson’s career best performance”. I could be very wrong tho.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmy Awards (SUPER EARLY) Predictions’ is closed to new replies.