Home Forums Television 2020 Emmy Awards (SUPER EARLY) Predictions

2020 Emmy Awards (SUPER EARLY) Predictions

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 502 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Luca Giliberti
gabarnes43
  • FairWeatherAffair
    Participant
    Topics:

My, some on this forum really do not care for Succession, do they?

The Artist Formerly Known as Xander Cassel
    Participant
    Topics:

I think the problem is that The Handmaid’s Tale can’t seem to evolve in its storytelling, whereas Westworld has no problem doing so. People get tired when they get fed the same thing over and over again, such as having two seasons full of June’s one million “escapes” (to compare, KE is suffering from two [probably 3] seasons of cat-and-mouse). That being said, I still think it’s getting in.

This exactly. If Handmaid’s season three actually goes somewhere else and does something else than seasons one and two, I’ll predict it. But for now, it seems like yesterday’s news in a field of big shiny new contenders and returning ones that do change things up. I will never understand the creative decision to make it a full series and not a miniseries.

So This Is Us, Succession, & Pose have no chance in Series next year?

This Is Us shouldn’t have a chance this year, when every other major contender was scared of GOT and skipped. Next year, they’ll be lucky to get Brown in.

Succession would be the fifth HBO series nominated in Drama. It’s already straddling the fence this year, so I don’t see it getting in for Series next year unless one of HBO’s other shows sucks or Succession is amazing.

POSE is one I really want to be there, but I couldn’t find space for it. I’m 100% confident that Big Little Lies, The Crown, Better Call SaulWestworld, and Stranger Things are getting in. That left two slots over, which went to His Dark Materials, a sweeping fantasy epic with an A-List cast, and Watchmen, a dark and gritty satire of superheroes starring Emmy darling extraordinaire Regina King and Oscar winner Jeremy Irons, both of which are made by HBO.

jacob121
    Participant
    Topics:

I’m 100% confident that Big Little Lies, The Crown, Better Call Saul, Westworld, and Stranger Things are getting in.

This would typically read like hyperbole to me but I am actually in agreement.

I wonder if the 2% rule also applies in the series race, could we see eight nominees? Next year’s race is going to be an absolute bloodbath. That said, I am in the minority in enjoying the unpredictability of this comparatively “empty” year.

mafro987
    Participant
    Topics:

I like Succession but I agree with their scepticism. Let’s at least see how it does this year before predicting it for 2020.

FYC: Carice van Houten, ‘Instinct’, Best Actress

Matthew anzalone
    Participant
    Topics:

I like Succession but I agree with their scepticism. Let’s at least see how it does this year before predicting it for 2020.

Regardless, Holly hunter will get in supporting actress drama. Shes gonna be in the next season

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t agree with Stranger Things being a lock or safe. I think it’s going to be one of the firsts to be dropped (especially considering s3 is airing this summer). Netflix will have The Crown, The Politician (Yeah I know it’s in comedy but still) and possibly Ratched to push over it.

Why this over confidence for succession? Really I don’t understand. Let’s see at first how it does this year and if s2 is even good.

verissimoallan
    Participant
    Topics:
    Participant
    Topics:

I don’t agree with Stranger Things being a lock or safe. I think it’s going to be one of the firsts to be dropped (especially considering s3 is airing this summer). Netflix will have The Crown, The Politician (Yeah I know it’s in comedy but still) and possibly Ratched to push over it.

Its chances of being dropped are as much as GOT missing the series race this year. 1st season of ST also premiered during summer but it was able to get a lot of nominations. To the point, where most of us thought it would win the series race due to their Casting Emmy. Unless the season bombs and I mean really bombs, there is no way it is missing the series nomination.

THT’s chances of being dropped are higher imo.

Participant
    Topics:

Not only this:

Its chances of being dropped are as much as GOT missing the series race this year. 1st season of ST also premiered during summer but it was able to get a lot of nominations. To the point, where most of us thought it would win the series race due to their Casting Emmy. Unless the season bombs and I mean really bombs, there is no way it is missing the series nomination. THT’s chances of being dropped are higher imo.

but also, you’re not factoring in the fact that Stranger Things is a massively popular show. I don’t think very many of the other contenders will possess the same pop-cultural cache that ST does. People–not just industry types or Emmy fans–will be watching and talking about it.

ginnala
    Participant
    Topics:

but also, you’re not factoring in the fact that Stranger Things is a massively popular show. I don’t think very many of the other contenders will possess the same pop-cultural cache that ST does. People–not just industry types or Emmy fans–will be watching and talking about it.

The same can be said about 13 reasons why and it got 0 or very little nominations, or the latest seasons of The Walking Dead, still the/one of the most watched show on TV.

Participant
    Topics:

The same can be said about 13 reasons why and it got 0 or very little nominations, or the latest seasons of The Walking Dead, still the/one of the most watched show on TV.

That comparison is kinda invalid, since neither of those shows have any prior Emmy history. ST does.

Julian14
    Participant
    Topics:

Is next Year the most star-studded Year at the emmy’s Ever?

Participant
    Topics:

Off-topic, but I think Big Little Lies will miss on every major win except maybe Writing or Directing, maybe Skarsgard in Guest, next year, despite possibly snagging the most nominations. Here’s why.

Actress: Vote-splitting between Reese and Nicole, plus very recent and surprising Oscar-winner Olivia Colman coming into play on Netflix’s biggest Emmy success, stepping into the shoes of Emmy-winning Claire Foy. Unless Colman fucks it up royally (so basically, there’s zero chance), she’s winning.

Supporting Actress: Emmy-winning Laura Dern comes back, plus Emmy-nominated Shailene Woodley. But as if that vote-splitting wouldn’t be terrible enough–Meryl fuckin Streep comes in. That’s three actress from the same show with a strong chance of getting nominated, and at least two are getting in–likely to be Streep and Dern, since Dern won an Emmy for the same role already and Streep is Meryl fuckin Streep. I think all three get nominated–they’re all crazy talented, Dern and Shailene were amazing in season one, if they stay at the same level of quality they’ll repeat for season two. And Streep is getting in, no questions asked. We all saw what happened last year–three supporting actresses from the same show in both Comedy and Drama (SNL and THT), one of whom had won an Emmy for the show before (McKinnon and Dowd), and all six lost. The vote-splitting was too much. Furthermore, Thandie Newton was also nominated last year, and won. This forces me to conclude that not only will Streep, Dern, and Woodley all lose, but that Thandie will win, because once more she’s nominated against three actresses from the same Emmy-winning show, one of whom has won the Emmy previously, and also she’s still Thandie goddamm Newton. She deserves it.

Series: There’s no way around it–I don’t see BLL overcoming the “it already won a Series prize–as a Limited Series, before being bastardized into Drama” stigma. I think a lot of voters won’t vote for it out of…spite, almost.

Anyway, there’s a 4 AM lukewarm take.

Luca
    Keymaster
    Topics:

Every single review so far has singled out Meryl’s performance, every single one. She’s easily winning if her performance is as good as reviewers say it is.

Eden
    Participant
    Topics:

I think Streep will be the only big win for the show. Unlike The Handmaid’s Tale, we’ll very likely have a standout performance, I doubt voters would have trouble choosing between Streep and another actress from the show.

Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 502 total)

The topic ‘2020 Emmy Awards (SUPER EARLY) Predictions’ is closed to new replies.